Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EU Cantina interviews Chris Avellone

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anthony Davis said:
There will be plenty of aliens and other things to shoot, of that have no doubt, but I cannot talk about experience is awarded in Aliens.

Off topic, have you ever played Vampire: Bloodlines? That was a cool game. I like how it awarded exp for completing objectives.

Hmm…

MetalCraze

Arcane
the question was about the actual roleplaying - I don't want too many fights (less fights + much moar powerful enemies = suspense and scary atmosphere = victory (aliens in aliens really felt like a gun-meat compared to alien where it really was scary) ) as real-time combat sucks unless its a fp/tp shooter (with stats). and I hope its not. so I just wanted to know how many blah blah will be there... oh and please tell those designers to make dialogues look like dialogues and not like Alpha Protocol at least in this game.

also apart from a total crimsonland in the second half of the game - VtmB was a good game - and if you're making an arpg (and you're making one because its for consoles as well) - rewarding for using brains instead of rewarding for breaking your mouse through constant twitching and turning exp-meat into the dead exp-meat (and especially punishing for thought-less twitching) is much much more better and should be a standard in every arpg to make those new kiddies -think-. so if Obsidian will really go for this - then I <3 Obsidian
also I want moar replayability of the game - like with that VtmB - where to see everything you had to play several times for several clans.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yes, it was nice concept. It was quite lacking though. There were occasions when you can gather more XP just becaue you did something in the right order or just lucky. Although it can be atributed to the proverbial C&C shtick, it seems somewhat shallow. Not rewarding for random kills in some quests are ok, but i think they should have some kind of further C&C thing after you've chosen how you approach the ''missions''. There isn't any difference if you go through the Nosferatu sewers stealthy, using only mind bending ''magick'' or blazing through with teh celerity and potence switched on. It would be mutch finer if sutch decisions would make consequences.

Anyway, VtB was almost as replayable because of various quest completion scenaries, as both Fallouts. Though it lacked the real variety that those games presented. Even Troika went ''dumbed down'' at that point.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm glad an Aliens FPS is being made alongside the RPG. It kind of forces Obsidian to make the game more an RPG and less a FPS as possible to differentiate it from Gearbox's Aliens FPS.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Anthony Davis said:
I'm not sure what Bioware called the version of Aurora that ran KOTOR1, but when the rubber meets the road, it is the Aurora engine.
I think Odyssey uses the same (heavily modified) code-base as Aurora but they are two different engines. You can sort of see where production broke off from NWN in the NWScript file. NWN gets different functions from KotOR from that point on.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Lestat said:
All hail Anthony Davis, the Dark Master of Leakage. I'm sure you reassured more than one person here, myself included.
I'm resisting the urge to quote "Dark Master of Leakage" out of context. It's very difficult...

Chefe

Erudite
I like aliens, and the Aliens wasn't that bad, so this will be a potentially interesting game. Keep the name Aliens RPG. Give the main character a Sonic the Hedgehog tattoo (classic Sonic, not the new one).

Anthony Davis said:
Off topic, have you ever played Vampire: Bloodlines? That was a cool game. I like how it awarded exp for completing objectives.

Most RPGs have been doing that for a long time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I liked that system in Bloodlines, because then you had good reason to avoid fighting. It's not like killing monsters would give you XP so why take the risk?

I think Anthony is insinuating that Alien will have this system. :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yes the Bloodlines XP system was nice and that also means that the game will probably have real time combat and a sneak system, fine by me although some here might not like it. I also hope it will have multiple solutions for each objective.

But the main question is, will you be able to use diplomacy with the aliens ? :D

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
A romancable NPC xenomorph that joins the party is also paramount to success.

A talking one.

:Fallout2:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
ghostdog said:
But the main question is, will you be able to use diplomacy with the aliens ? :D

Obviously, when you're talking about Aliens, dialogue really isn't a viable option.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Wyrmlord said:
I liked that system in Bloodlines, because then you had good reason to avoid fighting. It's not like killing monsters would give you XP so why take the risk?

I think Anthony is insinuating that Alien will have this system. :D

No seriously, I just reinstalled Bloodlines and am playing it again. Don't get me in trouble by saying I said something!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
No seriously, I just reinstalled Bloodlines and am playing it again. Don't get me in trouble by saying I said something!

I see. Well, Bloodlines is an awesome game, I hope you guys felt... inspired by it. :D

Lumpy

Arcane
Nyn_3.jpg

Chefe

Erudite
ghostdog said:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom