Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EVE Online

Quilty

Magister
Bought the game about a year ago, played it for a month, didn't get anywhere in it. Just sat around, waiting for my skills to increase so I could use some pointless device for...whatever it was.

Are there any experienced EVE players here on the 'dex who can tell me if it's worth putting in more time? Is there a chance of anything exciting ever happening, anything that would justify another try? I mean, the way I see it, I can have more instant fun by playing Freespace 2, and I'm no instagratification whore, but waiting a month for anything to happen in a game is just not feasible.

Be a bunch of good bros and help a brother out in his time of trouble.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dude, it's a MMO... boring, not fun, waste of time you could be wasting on fun games.

Multi-headed Cow

WhiskeyWolf said:
boring, not fun, waste of time you could be wasting on fun games.
This is the key to understanding MMOs. Until you learn this you will never be free of them.

zeitgeist

Magister
It's the best currently active MMO, for what it's worth. But unless you find a corp real quick, or play with a group of friends, you'll probably find it quite boring. It's a very rudimentary sandbox, one that absolutely relies on players to make their own content, whether through corp building, ship/economic PvP, or various forms of social engineering etc.

I don't know what's the current state regarding corp drama and all that, last I've heard it wasn't very fun to play unless you were in one of SA's corps, and they pretty much took over the forums too. And there's been a noticeable shift in player demographics over the past few years.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll second what's been said already: If you're soloing EvE, it will get quite boring really quick.

The problem is finding out what you want to do in EVE to begin with. PvP has the most fun, the most rage, and the most (enemy) tears for you to enjoy, but while you can get started in it almost right away and be of some use, you'll never get anywhere there alone. There are some corps in EvE that cater specifically to beginners and teach them all the ropes of the game. EvE University is one such corp, look them up if you're interested.

PvE is a stable source of income, but getting to the L4 missions (where the real money is) is several months of grinding, plus training the proper skills. The biggest problem with PvE is that fitting ships for missions is not like fitting ships for PvP combat, so you're always at a disadvantage against other players while missioning. Plus it gets dull real quick.

Mining is only for Aspies (people with Asperger's Syndrome) nowadays. Macrobots have completely ruined the mining aspect of EvE.

The industry side of EvE is a more peaceful way of making money, but it won't take long until it becomes a chore. Gathering the resources, hauling them to a factory, then sitting and waiting while the item is produced, then hauling it to a market hub. You'll also be competing in a already saturated market, so pick your production item carefully.

Then there's "marketing PvP", where you try to buy low, sell high and undercutting several thousand other players by 0.01 ISK at a time. If you have an eye for markets and economics, you can go from scratch to several billion ISK in a single month.

The next expansion for EvE is scheduled for mid-November, but the next big thing is the "Walking In Stations" addon, which finally has been given a release date for next summer.

zeitgeist

Magister
Unkillable Cat said:
The next expansion for EvE is scheduled for mid-November, but the next big thing is the "Walking In Stations" addon, which finally has been given a release date for next summer.
Have they finally released any concrete details about it? I'm wondering if this will be possible in any station, or only specific hubs.

Quilty

Magister
Thanks for the replies guys. :salute:

I'm really terrible at the whole "community" portion of MMOs and would probably get kicked real soon for not doing my part or whatever. I prefer soloing games, so no EVE for me, I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
zeitgeist said:
Have they finally released any concrete details about it? I'm wondering if this will be possible in any station, or only specific hubs.

Only that they'll be dividing up the release, that is that they won't release all of it in one go. The first parts of Incarna (official term for Walking In Stations) will be released next month, when every player will be forced to remake their avatar, this time in full 3D. Some other minor addition related to Incarna will also be released then.

Then the barebones framework of Incarna will be released next summer. (Think of how Planetary Interaction was released back in May and how they'll deepen it with the upcoming Incursion expansion in November.) More content will be added to Incarna in the Winter Expansion of 2011.

What's more interesting, however, is keeping track of the development cycle of EvE Online as a whole. The lag monster, which has always been a problem in EvE, was finally vanquished in the winter of 2008, allowing for some real epic fleet battles to take place. However, in the winter of 2009 they somehow managed to re-awaken the lag monster (CCP aren't known for being very competent coders) which led to nullsec warfare becoming crippled and nigh unplayable. It has only gotten worse since then.

This, among other complaints of underdeveloped additions to the game, archaic interfaces and other similar items, were the core complaints of the CSM (A committee made up of EvE players who regularly meet up with CCP staff to discuss hot topics of the game, and try to resolve problems) meeting earlier this summer. Simply put, pre-existing content was in many places so badly broken, or lacking vital features, that they were badly in need of attention by CCP, yet CCP kept pushing out new content that would be quickly sidelined and forgotten.

CCP's response? They're aware of the problem, but have no plans to address it. What's worse, they do not have time to address it until 2012 at the earliest. Adding new content, in this case Incarna, is their top priority, everything else is next to irrelevant. Why is this?

The answer is actually quite simple: They need to release Incarna soon, and it must also be a smash hit, or CCP is dead in the water.

In 2006 CCP expanded by opening up studios in USA and China and by merging with White Wolf, thus gaining ownership of the World of Darkness IP. The US office handles the World of Darkness stuff, while the studio in China was put to work on a top secret project, which later turned out to be a console shooter titled Dust 514, which is to be connected to EvE. During this year, CCP hatched their master plan: They were going to develop a 3D engine they would use for EvE (as the walking in stations content) and then re-use that engine both for the console shooter and for the proposed World Of Darkness MMO. The China studio would be building this engine from scratch. This all, as you can guess, cost quite alot of money and sunk CCP into lots of debts.

Fast forward two years. The recession hits, and CCP takes inventory. They ask the US studio how things are doing, and the response is that they're now waiting for the engine from the China studio. They ask the China studio...but the China studio hasn't come up with anything. 2 years of development with no results. CCP shits bricks. They quickly assign both studios to work on content for the next EvE expansion, which was Apocrypha, the biggest EvE expansion since its launch. The success of Apocrypha gives CCP time to come up with a solution to save their asses. That solution is Incarna. Incarna will appeal to a far wider range of players than EvE currently does. Just like Planetary Interaction was a grab at the playerbase from Farmville, Incarna is a grab at players from places like Second Life and The Sims. To solve the "we don't have an engine" problem, they leased the Unreal 3 engine from Epic. More debt incurred, but at least they have a shot at pulling this off.

The real problem is keeping EvE afloat long enough to get Incarna out the door. As a direct result of the last CSM meeting, the players have been furious. EvE has a huge subscriber turnover rate, but now the game is losing the veterans, the "core" players of the game. The ones that encourage others to try out the game, the ones that make all those cool stories you hear about in and out of the game. They're going away, and sadly there isn't enough time for "new" veterans to replace them. EvE is bleeding out as we speak. In all likelyhood, it will stick around until Incarna is released, but then what?

made

Arcane
Nowadays you can sit in a battleship and do L4s within a couple weeks of soloing if you're dedicated, or join a corp that'll boost you and start earning fat bucks from the start. A few days of mission running earns you enough to pay the sub with ingame currency, so you can essentially play for free. It does get very tedious after a while though, as there's little mission variety and no storyline worth speaking of.

The problem is, while player generated content can vary greatly in quality and contribute to your enjoyment of the game, the underlying mechanics never change. You'll still wait for skills to train, which takes progressively longer at higher levels, up to weeks and months for a new rank. You'll do the same thing in combat 90% of the time, whether you're in a frig or BS: click your modules, click orbit, watch.

Really, the best part is customizing the ships with various modules (there's tons to choose from) and watching them go. They do look awesome!

Quilty

Magister
Last week a friend and I set up a multiplayer game of Freespace 2. The two of us blasting away at each other for an hour was more fun than a month spent in EVE. It's incredible how much fun that game can be, even with the vanilla graphics, it's still incredibly atmospheric.

zeitgeist

Magister
Unkillable Cat said:
<snip>
The real problem is keeping EvE afloat long enough to get Incarna out the door. As a direct result of the last CSM meeting, the players have been furious. EvE has a huge subscriber turnover rate, but now the game is losing the veterans, the "core" players of the game. The ones that encourage others to try out the game, the ones that make all those cool stories you hear about in and out of the game. They're going away, and sadly there isn't enough time for "new" veterans to replace them. EvE is bleeding out as we speak. In all likelyhood, it will stick around until Incarna is released, but then what?
Very interesting post, I was under the impression that EVE was still a great financial success. I haven't been following the CSM system much since its inception, did it end up having any real influence on the game development, or are they just what SWG's player correspondents were - a facade constructed mainly to direct player ire towards in times when it should be aimed at the developers?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
zeitgeist said:
Very interesting post, I was under the impression that EVE was still a great financial success. I haven't been following the CSM system much since its inception, did it end up having any real influence on the game development, or are they just what SWG's player correspondents were - a facade constructed mainly to direct player ire towards in times when it should be aimed at the developers?

Actually, they've recently "upgraded" the CSM to full team status - they are now one of several teams that are assembled within the company to handle various projects, which in this case would be identifying in-game problems, coming up with possible actions and presenting their findings to CCP. They just ain't getting paid.

Before that the CSM was close to what you described, though it was uncommon for any of the player ire to be directed towards it, as players seemed to know that the CSM was powerless, but still a good method to grab the attention of the devs.

Of course, how the CSM came to be is another chapter in CCP's story of Fail, but at least they got a good spin on that incident.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah I've played probably about 12-18 months of Eve spread since beta till about 2 years ago.

Pretty much a bad game, don't even bother, it's far more interesting to talk about builds and ogle the pretty ships than it is to actually play.

Rogue

Educated
I played EVE for 90 days with a very involved team. We were pirates and everyone wanted to kill us for stealing their precious ore that they spent hours collecting like mindless drones that they were. Of course if they put it in a proper container, there would be nothing to steal anyway. So anyhow, it was all out war, everyone out to get us ... your basic asymmetric warfare ... we were using hit and run tactics to harass them like crazy. With that determination our 5-man team brought a 50-man company to its knees. But then it got boring because things were starting to get too familiar, so why pay that monthly fee?

The only thing that's fun in this game is mischief. My wingman and I once selflessly offered to help someone secure his cargo for a fee, but instead we blasted him and stole his cargo. Caught up in the moment we made for the nearest starbase where we were almost blasted into bits by sentry guns (we were temporarily flagged as criminals), so we retreated our burning cruisers to a nearby asteroid belt where we repaired them and headed off to HQ. Good times.

Some people just spent their days mining some retarded asteroid. Mine the ore, put it in a can, transport it to base, sell it, repeat. Can you even comprehend how much fun that is?

DefJam101

Arcane
It used to be the best MMO out there by far, nowadays I have a difficult time recommending it.

If you don't want to PvP/Pirate there is zero reason to play the game, period. And even that lifestyle has substantially declined.
The Village Loon said:
EVE's biggest problem is actively supporting people with this mindset. It's no longer a game working for imaginative, do-it-yourself people; it's a game for grinders and complainers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom