Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Explorminate's Top 10 4X games of all time

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't stand space games that have the understanding of astronomy (scale and looks) at the level of a 5 year old.
4Xes don't typically aim to be realistic simulations of space, or really, any simulation of space. Space is just the excuse setting in which you paint maps.

If a game actually tried to capture the terrible secret of space, it would probably fail to actually function as a 4X wargame as it would turn out there is nothing to fight over and nobody to fight with, and also, it's your great^N grandchildren that will be doing any of that fighting, if they still care to by the time they get there, and remember who it is and what it is they were supposed to fight over.

what are you talking about is completely missing my point

I was talking about scale and looks: how different astronomical bodies are depicted in relation to others (scale), how orbits actual look, how distances between bodies are depicted.
Nobody wants a very realistic depiction and of course a certain level of abstraction is needed but some games just shit on this concept.

That's why Nexus: The Jupiter Incident blew me away with its briefing animations depicting solar systems because it was clear that the one in charge of those was an enthusiast and knew what he/she/it was doing. That's the gold standard.

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Since you mentioned scale, realism and such I'd like to plug Children of a dead earth.

Very detailed simulations, 3-body gravity, module designer for which you'll need a few weeks of learning to get good. For combat you need to plot an intercept course where relative velocities and delta-v reserves are crucial. And so on but unfortunately there's no campaign, only scenarios which you have to beat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom