Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fable 2

Texas Red

Whiner
Fable 2 went completely off the radars for some reason. I've heard from the Codexers that it's supposed to have some wicked C&C, with the story having your character advance in to older age with proper consequences. I find that pretty interesting. The combat is also supposed to be fun.

So, opinions?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Not much in the way of C&C, dialogue options or character customisation (apart from beards). Its a reasonable amount of fun, but its RPG velly, velly lite. Pretty much Fable with a few bells and whistles attached.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe elaborate on the beard customisation, this is an important selling point.

bhlaab

Erudite
Haven't played it but from what I hear it's closer to the Sims than any rpg I've ever heard of

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you have sex in the game without wearing a condom, you will get STD.

DriacKin

Arbiter
RK47 said:

Which has absolutely no negative consequences. Your stats won't go down or anything.
There's just a little number hidden away in the menus that counts how many STDs you have.

Texas Red

Whiner
RK47 said:

So you have a choice between an STD and rapping your dick in cow stomach.

Secretninja

Cipher
poocolator said:
This guy's like Cleve but without all of the fluff and pomp... I thought Escapist Magazine was all common fare, and that they didn't host good blogs :p
Wait, so you would consider Cleve good? I don't understand...

MetalCraze

Arcane
So Fable 2, which has absolutely nothing in common with RPGs, is RPG now too?...

I've heard from the Codexers that it's supposed to have some wicked C&C
Ah that retarded C&C=RPG again - that explains this shit.

It's like I clicked on General RPG Discussion and it redirected me right into the center of ESF.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If you like a BioWare-game, you'll love every other BioWare-game. If you like Fable, you'll love Fable 2. And if you run, know that you can't hide.

Speaking as someone who didn't exactly like Fable but definitely agreed that it was a pretty damn fun, although extremely shallow action-adventure game; Fable 2 is not as good. It's basically a game for the people that thought the first game was too difficult and advanced.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Barbies went completely off the radars for some reason. I've heard from the Codexers that it's supposed to have some wicked C&C, with the story having your character advance in to older age with proper consequences. I find that pretty interesting. The combat is also supposed to be fun.

So, opinions?

Fix't.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
If you like a BioWare-game, you'll love every other BioWare-game.

For me, its more like:
If you like one Bioware game, you'll probably get bored with all of the other ones because all they're doing is retreading familiar territory.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DriacKin said:
Andyman Messiah said:
If you like a BioWare-game, you'll love every other BioWare-game.

For me, its more like:
If you like one Bioware game, you'll probably get bored with all of the other ones because all they're doing is retreading familiar territory.
If you really like BioWare-games, then you're most likely too stupid to see that every game is a rehash.

kris

Arcane
I played Fable2 a bit on my brothers xbox. It is a well presented game with more freedom than the first incarnation. That is pretty much all good there is to it. The combat is really simple and almost impossible to fail in. It is more like a insta-win button. I believe opponents are levelled with you though, so you have to hit on them a couple of more times over time. Apart from the combat the world is just one big treasure map. Not only does chests with treasure stand around pretty much everywhere, you also got that dog sniffing out things to dig up. You can dig up anything from money to books. Apart from the visual part there is also no difference between characters as all will eventually just end up masters of everything.

Constant reward game with boring social interaction.

Also I was dissapointed that the child phase of the game was much smaller than in the first. That was a part of the game that held the most promise of doing something special and interesting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fable 1 was good mindless fun for a while.
I want Fable 2 on PC because I don't do consoles. Would at least be interesting to try out. Not even expecting anything RPG-like, just some kind of RPG lite where you can run around and have fun.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
when it comes out on PC, ill pick it up. if it never comes to PC, i wont think much about it.

knowing fable was a european RPG, i never had high hopes for it. ( hihi! ) but it was a fun romp and a good waste of about 20-30 hrs. and then i played it again.

combat in fable 1 was very weak. very very weak. all you had to do was raise str a little, raise int a little, and then keep that mana-shield up and it was damn hard to lose.

not to mention there are about 3 parts in the PC version and 2 in the xbrick version where you could basically get unlimited mob kills... all you had to do was stock up on the mana pots, keep that shield up, and when you finally ran out of mana pots complete the part with the infinitely spawning mobs and then go back to the guild hall and turn in your like 200-300k points. highest i ever saw my multiplier was in the high 300s. never broke the 400 multipler. always ran out of mana pots.

KKKthulhu.

Educated
Read the Shamus articles. Do it. You'll wish Molyneux would step in front of a moving train.

Fable 2 fell off the radar because unlike Fable 1, which had some redeeming qualities, was complete and utter shit to the point where not even the consoletards could take it anymore.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh god not again. We hopefully established that C&C is a relatively modern RPG component, and while certainly highly desirable, is fairly irrelevant in making a game a member of the RPG genre.

Else, of course, Wizardry 1-5 aren't RPGs (while they clearly are), or Eye of the Beholder (though it has minor C&C), or any other Dungeon Crawler in the world; and if you now come and tell me Dungeon Crawlers aren't RPGs but rather tactical combat simulators I'll punch you over the internet.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You can choose to fight with one gun or another gun, and as consequence one gun or another gun's ammo drains. Also, you play the role of Master Cheif...

My poor heart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom