Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Heavy Rain is pretty good on the atmosphere side of things, but the story makes little to no sense the moment you actually begin to think about anything.

Seriously, plot's got more holes than a Taiwanese hooker caught in a gangland shooting, and even more moments that only work if literally the entire cast is rock stupid. At least Fahrenheit's got the excuse that it's got various fantasy/sci-fi elements, so MAGIC I DON'T GOT TO EXPLAIN SHIT, but Heavy Rain's got no such pardon.

Voice Acting's pretty awful, too. It's obvious that most of the cast don't have English as their first language (Save Shelby, who's performance is actually pretty ace) and they all sound bizarre because of it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Fahrenheit was decent till about 1/3 or 1/2 through the game and then it went full DERP HERP DERP with OMG PLOTTWISTS and fucking stupid QTEs, can't imagine Heavy Rain being any better. Gotta say though that some of the music in Fahrenheit is pretty good.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heavy Rain is a good game if you are open to new things and don't dismiss it because it has QTEs.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fahrenheit's first scene (the crime investigation) was brilliant (so may different outcomes). Though it was extremely obvious that the same depth couldn't possibly be applied to the rest of the game.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Fahrenheit's first scene (the crime investigation) was brilliant (so may different outcomes). Though it was extremely obvious that the same depth couldn't possibly be applied to the rest of the game.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that basically just gets included for the press. Before Fahrenheit came out, this scene had already been mentioned in every single preview and review.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fahrenheit is very interesting until things actually start to get explained. Then it gets incredibly retarded : expect monk fighting like in the Matrix, an old lady that is actually the Internet, and a final scene involving flying zombies throwing fireballs at artificial intelligence from outer space.

Heavy Rain is AWFUL. Period. I played through it, and it is hard to explain without spoiling, but it has the most horrible writing ever. Lots of the plot points are taken straight from Fahrenheit, the revelation of the killer doesn't make sense, and a lot of other stuff doesn't make sense :
-a character phones another for help : they have never even met
-the hero has sex with a woman, when he has only an hour left to save his son
-everybody tries to kill the female character, FOR NO REASON. Rings some random door, doctor tries to kill you with an electric drill. Another guy unexpectedly saves the day from a random robbery, random abusive ex, and other things whenever he goes anywhere.
-The main character suffers from losses of memory, hinting he is actually the killer. He's not, and it is never explained why. Watch the making of : they said they cut the explanation because it involved supernatural stuff. So they just thought it was a great idea to have this major plot point unresolved and not making sense throughout the game.

The game is filled like that. The female lead serves no purpose besides showing her tits. She acts shocked and surprised when she learns the name of the killer : oh yeah, SHE HAS NEVER MET HIM EITHER. The game is full of such crap.

And it is very very sad to hear David Cage giving everyone lessons about how video games are not mature enough, and should have better stories. It is awful to see the whole console community sucking his dick on how an artist he is. It's not that it mixes the genre of games and movies, it's not the problem : the game fails as a movie, and fails as a game. There is no redeeming quality. Awful story, cliché character psychology : the damn thing is just a mash up of bad tv series David Cage saw on TV the year before he wrote this and decided he wanted to do the same. All of his games happen in New York or Philiadelphia. He's french. His real name is not even fucking David Cage. Grow the fuck up.

Castanova

Prophet
I thought Heavy Rain was brilliant all the way through the mall scene (avoiding spoilers here). The QTEs actually worked in the context of the struggling father storyline. The pulpy investigation that goes on after the mall scene was far, far less interesting for me and the QTEs started to suck.

Cassidy

Arcane
Even Uwe Boll writes better plots than the Hollywood Reject behind these 2deep4u pieces of shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
-the hero has sex with a woman, when he has only an hour left to save his son

Now wait a minute. You were the one who made that choice. I didn't have sex with her in the game, because I know that a father in that situation wouldn't had sex. You on the other hand had. :troll:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is not presented this way : the way it's meant to be, is "DO YOU WANT TO FUCK HER AND SEE SEX ?! Y/N". There is no consequence at all, no reflexion at all, and I needed the boner.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It is not presented this way : the way it's meant to be, is "DO YOU WANT TO FUCK HER AND SEE SEX ?! Y/N". There is no consequence at all, no reflexion at all, and I needed the boner.
You sick..sick people....

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://achillingfeeling.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476990/
Taglines:
Guilt is a chilling feeling

It looks like Quantic Dream is gonna announce either a Fahrenheit 2 or Fahrenheit HD remaster next week. That's Indigo Prophecy for you Kwantards.

4CP4enU.gif

Luckra

Educated
It looks like Quantic Dream is gonna announce either a Fahrenheit 2 or Fahrenheit HD remaster next week. That's Indigo Prophecy for you Kwantards.
I might be slightly interested in a Fahrenheit 2 but I don't want to experience the original one again. Except the first 30 minutes. The good part.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheit-Indigo-Prophecy-Remastered-Download/dp/B00SLXWUCE

Guilt is a chilling feeling… Originally released in 2005, Fahrenheit (known as Indigo Prophecy in North America) was a breakthrough in interactive narrative, teetering between the worlds of cinema and gaming while also embracing them, carving its own unique genre in the entertainment landscape. This newly remastered edition features updated graphics, full controller support AND is based on the uncut/uncensored international version of the game. With a rich multilayered narrative, innovative presentation, and a chilling musical score by famed Hollywood composer Angelo Badalementi, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered serves as the definitive version of the supernatural murder mystery and (re)introduces the groundbreaking title to old and new fans alike.

Key Upgrades:
• High-definition Graphics — All of the in-game textures have been meticulously recreated in HD for mobile and desktop.
• Full Controller Support — Support for Sony and Microsoft controllers for desktop platforms.
• Live Graphics Comparison — Players can switch between the updated visuals and the original art assets with the touch of a button.

Screenshot from GOG (original version):

9e4a7dff1021790ad2b7dfc48bbde610074aec65.jpg

Screenshot from Remastered:

81JvQLZ0yrL._SL1500_.jpg

RPGMaster

Savant
I can't get BLADE RUNNER to run properly on my computer but FAHRENHEIT has a HD remaster.

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom