Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout 3 Stories and Reviews

kris

Arcane
skyway said:
finally it has a bad visual design where a wasteland looks like a simple dump with random stuff thrown in - in stylish black'n'white.

The wasteland looks nice on a visual point. Problem is that it is way to crowded and certainly doesn't look like 200 years of the war.

Kiree

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Volourn said:
"How come there is no other alternative to this situation? Couldn't you just, for example, disarm him?"

Because, he's twice my size, and could snap me like a twig. And, he across the room with the gun pointed at her. And, if I take too long to get the perferct shot aimed at his gun hand, he'd have already shot her.
Except it takes just as much time to aim for the head than to the arm. And disarming was just one option. Shooting to the leg also works.
Are you fucking kidding me!? That might be a good idea with a shotgun at almost point blank, but that's not the hypothetical case, is it? Do you have any idea how hard it is to reliably stop a human using a handgun? In a situation like that, any shot but an expertly executed one through the brain is likely to make it worse for everybody.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Volourn said:
"How come there is no other alternative to this situation? Couldn't you just, for example, disarm him?"

Because, he's twice my size, and could snap me like a twig. And, he across the room with the gun pointed at her. And, if I take too long to get the perferct shot aimed at his gun hand, he'd have already shot her.
Except it takes just as much time to aim for the head than to the arm. And disarming was just one option. Shooting to the leg also works.
Are you fucking kidding me!? That might be a good idea with a shotgun at almost point blank, but that's not the hypothetical case, is it? Do you have any idea how hard it is to reliably stop a human using a handgun? In a situation like that, any shot but an expertly executed one through the brain is likely to make it worse for everybody.
Do you have any idea how bullet wounds function? Or how easy it is to use the handgun to breat the fingers of the guy holding it?

The point is that killing is in no way necessary.

Kiree

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Do you have any idea how bullet wounds function?
Yes. Sometimes humans keep fighting effectively for minutes with lethal wounds.

Or how easy it is to use the handgun to breat the fingers of the guy holding it?
Even when the guy is a few meters away, likely aware of you and much stronger than you?

Then don't shoot. Someone dying can easily be the outcome, and if you aim for an arm or a leg, especially when the target also has a gun, it's likely you.

Sarvis

Erudite
kris said:
Sarvis said:
Now, I'm sure you've gone through all that shit. You, however, did NOT say anything about walking through a war zone where people are robbing you to SURVIVE. These are people who are robbing you so they can eat later, not to feel tough or get some kicks. They need your food to live. They have guns. Frankly, if I was one of them you'd never see the bullet coming. Seriously, if you needed to rob someone in order to eat dinner later are you going to start by walking up to them to start a conversation?

Robbing people to survive and shooting people at sight is two very different things. People don't have the limited intelligence to just shoot at sight. Normal bandits will obviously gauge whether it is worth it or not, that is the thing that have kept them alive.

Fallout 3 have this problem that it is said to be many years in the war, but it entirerly designed like the war happened just months ago. Raiders would be better off raiding nuka-cola machines. and hunting animals that they exchange for goods.

Homeless people would probably be better off finding a nice nature preserve somewhere and learning to set some snares. Doesn't mean they'll do it...

Vaarna_Aarne

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Or how easy it is to use the handgun to breat the fingers of the guy holding it?
Even when the guy is a few meters away, aware of you and much stronger than you?
Strength is useless against the right techniques. First thing to know about combat techniques like Krav Maga and Defendo. A few meters is a possible distance to handle because of the chance of dodging a shot and closing in. After three meters in a gun becomes nothing more than a hindrance.

Naturally, the awareness part is the worst, but I believe that the assumption here was that the target was concerned with shooting the hypothetical wife.

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Then don't shoot. Someone dying can easily be the outcome, and if you aim for an arm or a leg, especially when the target also has a gun, it's likely you.
Actually not if you know combat.

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Not with impaired motor functions and pain. Shooting for the leg, stomach or shoulder will most likely result in a disabling hit.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Even when the guy is a few meters away, aware of you and much stronger than you?
Strength is useless against the right techniques. First thing to know about combat techniques like Krav Maga and Defendo. A few meters is a possible distance to handle because of the chance of dodging a shot and closing in. After three meters in a gun becomes nothing more than a hindrance.

Naturally, the awareness part is the worst, but I believe that the assumption here was that the target was concerned with shooting the hypothetical wife.

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Not with impaired motor functions and pain. Shooting for the leg, stomach or shoulder will most likely result in a disabling hit.

You keep believing that. Drugs certainly have no effect on pain tolerance!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Drugs and adrenalin can work wonders...sometimes.

Vaarna_Aarne

Sarvis said:
And a dosed-out junkie is the height of reflexes and accuracy... Not to mention that feeling no pain doesn't repair damaged motor functions.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Disconnected said:
skyway said:
[...] it isn't better than Deus Ex or Gothic. At least those games did what they were doing right.
Apart from some small degree of internal consistency, in what way is Gothic superior to anything at all? TES:Fallout isn't much of a Fallout game, but at least it's fun. Gothic is.. Masochism.

Compared to FO3 Gothic is an uberintelligent RPG on a par with PS:T. At least you can read Gothic's dialogues without watching as your intelligence slowly disappears.

Also if by 'fun' you mean a shitty shooter where you just shoot the dumb muties/raiders that just stand or run at you like begging you to end their miserable existence under the control of one of the dumbest AIs with weapons designed by a retard - then no - I will never understand all the "fun" of Fallout 3.

Kiree

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Strength is useless against the right techniques. First thing to know about combat techniques like Krav Maga and Defendo.
OK, so you really meant that it's easy when you know the right techniques. That's quite the assumption.

A few meters is a possible distance to handle because of the chance of dodging a shot and closing in.
Indeed. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with talking or a head shot.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
After three meters in a gun becomes nothing more than a hindrance.
R00fles! You are basically saying that taking down a man with a gun is easy and reliable, but only if he's more than three meters away. Are you trolling?

Fine. If he wasn't aware of you, though, he certainly will be. You better be quick, and good.

Kiree said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Know combat? What percentage of people know combat?

Kiree said:
Sometimes humans keep fighting effectively for minutes with lethal wounds.
Most likely, yes, if you do hit, but there are plenty of counterexamples.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
skyway said:
You know, some of Codexers make me agree with Volourn. Like the ones who spilled shit on the game and then bought F3 and now just try to go with 'self-excuses' (trying to make themselves believe that F3 is better than it really is?)
But newsflash - Fallout 3 is still a piece of shit game.
It has boring shooter combat, it has dumb AI, it has stupid writing, it has poor C&C, it has a character system that feels more like a gimmick, finally it has a bad visual design where a wasteland looks like a simple dump with random stuff thrown in - in stylish black'n'white. The game is still shit, no matter how you will look at it.
And no, Sheek, my dear - it isn't better than Deus Ex or Gothic. At least those games did what they were doing right.

This is the most reasonable post so far on this particular subject.

Mech

Cipher
skyway said:
You know, some of Codexers make me agree with Volourn. Like the ones who spilled shit on the game and then bought F3 and now just try to go with 'self-excuses' (trying to make themselves believe that F3 is better than it really is?)
It has boring shooter combat, it has dumb AI, it has stupid writing, it has poor C&C, it has a character system that feels more like a gimmick, finally it has a bad visual design where a wasteland looks like a simple dump with random stuff thrown in - in stylish black'n'white. The game is still shit, no matter how you will look at it.
And no, Sheek, my dear - it isn't better than Deus Ex or Gothic. At least those games did what they were doing right.

And we all know that no one here is convincing themselves that it is worse than it really is. :roll:

DraQ

Arcane
I'm going to not remove FO3 fom an inventory this week and see if it really has any redeeming qualities.

I expect my progress to be hindered by the fact that I did remove STALKER:CS from an inventory of certain store for idiots, though.

BTW: Why can't I line up my pistol in CS and wy the crosshair keeps returning after I disable it? WAAAAH!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mech said:
skyway said:

And we all know that no one here is convincing themselves that it is worse than it really is. :roll:

You know deep in my heart I so wish you were speaking the truth. But then I look at a game called Fallout 3...

Balor

Arcane
Well, I didn’t remove it from inventory for now, but I'm planning to buy it after Bethesda releases modding tools. (Because if they will not - no money from me!)
Just because it DOES show higly positive tendencies, and that should be rewarded. Total removal of modding tools is NOT a positive tendency, though. As for 'preparing them for 'wider audiences''... what the fuck? Previous CSes were totally buggy and undocumented, and if they somehow 'polished it' for the wider audiences, I really pity the game creators for having to work in such a pile of shit. I'd say it's just an excuse to prevent modders being competition for their supah-avesome DLC homes and robot horse armor.

Anyway, expecting PS:T level writing from Bethesda is being VERY optimistical, and it's much better then I thought it would be, and in fact even better then I hoped for (because I'm not an optimist). Some of it is actually decent! And some is quite stupid, right, but it is 'some', not 'all', like in Oblivion.

The combat DOES start to bore me now. There are way too many enemies, and I really pity those who play on very hard - because wading through supermutant invested ruins is a real shore now, and I shudder at the sheer boredom it must induce to take them down at 2x slower rate. Balance, Bethesda style: Give player lots of weapons, lots of ammo – but you have to shoot LOADS of enemies, and each take tens of rounds to take down (with an exception of combat shotgun. Best weapon in the game so far – it usually kills ‘just’ supermutants at one well-aimed headshot. Does not work as well against brutes and masters, though). And funny thing is, raiders are about as tough as supermutants!

I consider abandoning the character and making myself a 'stealth person'. Or, perhaps, just respec (due to insane amount of skillpoints per level)... especially since I'm likely to hit level cap way before end of the game anyway, cause I've taken the xp boost perk (didn't know that it's absolutely unnessary).

Sarvis

Erudite
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Sarvis said:
And a dosed-out junkie is the height of reflexes and accuracy... Not to mention that feeling no pain doesn't repair damaged motor functions.

Someone doesn't need full motor function to be dangerous, especially if they have a gun. Just standing and squeezing off the trigger has a high chance of hitting whoever the gun is pointing at if the range is short enough, and for you to target a limb like that the range probably IS close enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom