Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout 3 Stories and Reviews

Shannow

Waster of Time
Slenkar said:
you cant avoid combat in real life either
That explains US American "diplomacy".

Kiree said:
Rune_74 said:
This whole thread provides further proof to avoid this website, and to qoute that fucking idiot vault dweller...well that takes the cake.
Should you need any more proof to stay away, I'll gladly give you some links.
+1

Sarvis

Erudite
kris said:
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Slenkar said:

You can. It's called Running Like Hell.

Most people don't even have to run. Apart from a little scuffle when I was young (and no blows was dealt out) I have never really been involved in combat. Combat IRL is mostly something you see if you seek it out.

One time back in high school, at the end of study hall I started to stand up. I was interrupted in the process by the kid sitting in front of me, who had decided to turn around and grab me by the hair. This was followed by various punches to my face, which I couldn't do shit about because he was holding me down by my hair...

Later on he explained that he just wanted to fight me to "get it out of the way" since people don't usually fight twice.

The point is, there is random violence even in real life.

What really pissed me off is that I got suspended for fighting...

Anyway, you'd probably also have less chance of avoiding fights if you were walking around in the streets of Iraq right now. Or even in a nice inner city gang territory. The world isn't as safe as your neighborhood. Most video games aren't set in your neighborhood either, they're set in places resembling Iraq right now. Only with slightly more radiation, in Fallout's case...

elander_

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
Later on he explained that he just wanted to fight me to "get it out of the way" since people don't usually fight twice.

No, the point is your charming personality.

Sarvis

Erudite
elander_ said:
Sarvis said:

No, the point is your charming personality.

I don't even think I'd ever even talked to the kid before... he was new to the school at the time.

But hey, whatever assumptions you want to make are fine. There was still a fight, it was still outside of my ability to avoid it. Or you can go on thinking everyone is nice to each other all the time just because you grew up in some pussy-whipped-suburbia where boys are taught to act like delicate little flowers.

In reality, people get in fights once in a while. Hell, remember the video of parliament (or some government thing) that went around a while back where a fistfight broke out?

elander_

Arbiter
I'm not saying that accidents can always be avoided but an high charisma will let you avoid or at least reduce many of those accidents. Charm is not only how you talk (since you never had a chance to talk) it's also how you can impose respect just with your presence and i'm not talking of intimidation only. A person with peaceful and friendly looks will be less likely to be picked than a rat face. I know some people who never got into a fight in their lives and weren't exactly protected childs either.

In computer games it's nice to have a way to play an crpg without combat for several reasons. It's a different kind challenge and thus adds extra fun and replayability. A game is supposed to be fun and tell a story. Even if playing Fallout without using a combat skill is not realistic (or at least highly unlikely) there's some poetry and contrast in this that is appropriate for a fantasy game.

Sarvis

Erudite
Realistically, in an environment like Fallout the way you'd avoid fights is by not leaving towns. Bandits don't care about your charisma, how imposing you look or anything else. They only thing they'd likely evaluate is numbers, and maybe how well armed you are.

Sure, in a city you might be picking or avoiding fights based on how you act. And from what I've seen in F3, that is actually possible. The moment you leave the walls though you're going to risk getting attacked by people who want to rob you and really don't have any reason not to just shoot you.

elander_

Arbiter
I wasn't able to avoid combat completely in Fallout because of random encounters (not sure if this could be avoided with an high outdoorsman) but that was it. My companions were the ones who would protect my char from random fights and give him time to flee. In every other situation i always got an opportunity to solve issues with stealth or dialog options.

I don't think this is the case with Fallout 3 main quest however. I would be interesting to see someone trying to beat that game this way.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I'm only a few hours in but so far I'd give it a 7.0-7.5/10, it's better than I thought, there is C&C. Of course it's not a Fallout game but it's more of an RPG and more fun than all the non-RPGs such as Deus Ex, Gothic, Diablo and Stalker that you guys rave about.

Texas Red

Whiner
dagorkan said:
I'm only a few hours in but so far I'd give it a 7.0-7.5/10, it's better than I thought, there is C&C. Of course it's not a Fallout game but it's more of an RPG and more fun than all the non-RPGs such as Deus Ex, Gothic, Diablo and Stalker that you guys rave about.

Finally a voice of reason.

dagorkan

Arbiter
If you don't mind a bit of actiony combat and can ignore some dumbly phrased dialog and premises (like Megaton, mini-nukes that you already know about) then you should get it. It's not comparable to Oblivion or Morrowind, the dialog actually has depth, it's certainly not a wiki, I'd say NPC interactivity is somewhere between a Troika and a Bioware game.

Vault Dweller's play through is quite informative and what pushed me give it a try.

If you're a "glittering gem" of nerd-hate who can't think of anything except how BETHESDA raped your mythical childhood then yes you won't enjoy it but that's because you have your own issues to sort out.

Chefe

Erudite
Between Bioware and Troika is a good way to sum it up. I'd say it leans more on the Bioware side, but with actual choices.

There is rat diplomacy in the game, as it turns out.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Just spotted this on CAD.

In the Fallout series it is often possible to skip entire portions of the main story via exploration or fast-talking someone. Apparently these shortcuts still exist in Fallout 3. However I stumbled on one that skips a chunk of the story, but does so in a very jarring way. You skip the portion of the story, but the dialogue doesn't change. It still assumes you've done and learned things that you haven't, and it makes the whole experience really awkward and unsatisfying. You feel like you've missed something, rather than just found an alternative path.

This happened to me, and while I don't mind the shortcuts in Fallout, I felt this one was poorly done, and it left me feeling "out of the loop" so to speak, giving me dialogue options to ask about stuff that I'd never even heard of before. I had to go back to an earlier save to reset the main quest.

At least they tried I suppose. :roll:

Hazelnut

Erudite
DefJam101 said:
dagorkan said:
Of course it's not a Fallout game but it's more of an RPG and more fun than all the non-RPGs such as Deus Ex,

ಠ_ಠ

Don't worry, it's not you, he's never made much sense has poor confused Sheeky.

Chefe

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
Just spotted this on CAD.

In the Fallout series it is often possible to skip entire portions of the main story via exploration or fast-talking someone. Apparently these shortcuts still exist in Fallout 3. However I stumbled on one that skips a chunk of the story, but does so in a very jarring way. You skip the portion of the story, but the dialogue doesn't change. It still assumes you've done and learned things that you haven't, and it makes the whole experience really awkward and unsatisfying. You feel like you've missed something, rather than just found an alternative path.

This happened to me, and while I don't mind the shortcuts in Fallout, I felt this one was poorly done, and it left me feeling "out of the loop" so to speak, giving me dialogue options to ask about stuff that I'd never even heard of before. I had to go back to an earlier save to reset the main quest.

At least they tried I suppose. :roll:

He apparently never played the original Fallout.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Sarvis said:
kris said:
Slenkar said:

Most people don't even have to run. Apart from a little scuffle when I was young (and no blows was dealt out) I have never really been involved in combat. Combat IRL is mostly something you see if you seek it out.

One time back in high school, at the end of study hall I started to stand up. I was interrupted in the process by the kid sitting in front of me, who had decided to turn around and grab me by the hair. This was followed by various punches to my face, which I couldn't do shit about because he was holding me down by my hair...

This is like every codexers dream. I wish to buy that man a pint.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Volourn said:
So, how many whiny Codexers who bashed FO3 non stop pre release now own it or plan to within the next month? From the looks of it, more than a few.

HAHAHA!

Fuckin' tools.

But... But... It's an averagely decent game! It's jam packed with wonderfully marvelous almost entertaining, somewhat bland RPG'esque, post-apocalyptic mediocrity! Sure it's practically nothing like a Fallout game, and sure it shits all over the setting, probably worse than Tactics did, and sure, anything in the game that resembles writing is incredibly stupid, but IT'S NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WAS!

As long as we all just set our standards so incredibly low, that we're actually comparing a game to Oblivion as a way of gauging it's merits, we can all derive a ton of joy and wonder from this tripe Bethesda is squeezing out. I mean hey, Oblivion might not be great, but would you rather be in prison getting raped every day, and eventually die a painful death involving aids and a ruptured colon?

Of course not. So, if prison rape = terrible, then Oblivion = alright, therefore Fallout 3 must be a good game.

CUTTER.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Rat Keeng said:

my thoughts exactly.

'As a fallout game/sequel it sux, but as an rpg it's quite decent!1'

Well, excuse moi, but last time I checked it had the silly title saying "Fallout" and a "3" after it that implies it's a sequel, so I believe there's a whole damn lot of reasons to bash it accordingly for sucking as a Fallout game.

Who cares that so far from what I've seen on various other people's screens/playthroughs everything looks just plain fucking stupid, what's important is that this is BETTER THAN OBLIVION! so Bethesda automatically deserves to get credit, because doing something a bit less terrible than 'utterly terrible' is what people like :roll:

Hazelnut

Erudite
Well said Rat Keeng.

I do intend to try this, just like I did with Oblivion. I don't doubt I'll get some entertainment / amusement from it for a few hours given what I've read of VD's exploits, but I'll be interested to see if it holds my interest for longer than the ~10 hours O did, but I very much doubt it'll be good enough to warrant a purchase from me given the retarded shit I've read about it. We'll see though.

Sarvis

Erudite
fizzelopeguss said:
Sarvis said:
kris said:
Slenkar said:

This is like every codexers dream. I wish to buy that man a pint.

Don't get too excited, he didn't even manage to really hurt me. In the end I just tripped and fell backwards, then a teacher broke it up.

The only part that pisses me off is getting suspended when I couldn't avoid the fight...

But hey, I'm sure your nerd rage is stronger than my nerd rage... so I'll be sure to cower appropriately if we ever meet. :roll:

Relien

Scholar
Sarvis said:
The only part that pisses me off is getting suspended when I couldn't avoid the fight...
I guess my english sucks - you don't mean you were actually kicked out of the school for that, do you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom