Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
I seem to be extremely bored with recently released RPGs; it feels like playing movies instead of games, and I want to play a Bethesda game. Can you let me know which is the better game to play and why?

FNV is one of the best games I have played due to C&C and the world building aspect. I am getting tired of dark souls triology and am interested to play any Bethesda fallout game.
Mainly interested in C&C and world building aspect of the game

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you want something that vaguely resembles Fallout, play 3. If you want a mediocre open world shooter, play 4. Neither game is remotely good.

They are both shit, but Fallout 3 is passable Bethesda style shit, and Fallout 4 is like if a fat old woman sat on your face and started shitting.

Both have terrible writing, but F4 also has MMO style quests (they literally recycle and come back after you finish them). Also, F3 is at least somewhat similar in atmosphere to F1/F2/NV (at least until you get to giant robots and shit), while F4 has the atmosphere of a circus.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wasn't able to begin playing Fallout 3 before getting bored. F4 at least I finished. I would imagine The Outer Worlds is better than both games. At least it's supposed to have some traces of New Vegas in it.

Dave the Druid

Educated
it's like debating who's better between ebola and aids.
Isn't AIDs obviously better? I mean, there's treatments now, it's not 1992 anymore. You're still stuck with it for life but it's no longer a death sentence. The only good thing about Ebola is that it's so efficient at killing its hosts that outbreaks tend to burn themselves off incredibly quickly.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
I wasn't able to begin playing Fallout 3 before getting bored. F4 at least I finished. I would imagine The Outer Worlds is better than both games. At least it's supposed to have some traces of New Vegas in it.
Hmm i was under the impression that outer worlds is as worse as fallout 4

Zlaja

Arcane
I prefer F4, because I was traumatized by F3. Granted, I also prefer being chased by alligators than seeing those DC ruins again, so.....yeah.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Fallout 4 is a better Fallout 3. I don't remember anything good about FO3 but 4 has settlement building, power armor modification and weapon mods. Also a good soundtrack. Its survival mode is good and very challenging. You mentioned Dark Souls so playing FO4 on survival might be interesting for you, I know it was for me.

Nuka World DLC is good. Haven't played Far Harbor or the Robot DLC.

I'd play both if you haven't yet and decide for yourself, but start with 4 and only go into 3 if you've enjoyed 4, because if you don't you won't enjoy 3 either imo

Mainly interested in C&C and world building aspect of the game
forgot you said this. Don't bother with any if you want C&C and world building. But gameplay of 4 is a big improvement over 3, especially on survival.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nuka World DLC is good.
It's really not. It's the base game only 10x more cynical. Do linear dungeons and claim settlements for retarded factions in a literal amusement park. It also highlights the complete lack of creativity and ambition at Bethesda. They could've done a dark version of Sea World or Six Flags, but instead someone said "Let's just do Nuka Cola. People already know what that is."

Don Peste

Arcane
If you have the time, play both, of course.

Fallout 3 is 15 years old already. It's an old-school RPG by today's standards. And Fallout 4 is 8 years old already, it's an old-school RPG by today's standards.

But don't waste too much time trying to mod them. It's not really necessary. Well, dunno with F4. But F3 won't improve much with mods.
Leave mods for Oblivion and Skyrim.

Here's the game guide for F3 https://archive.org/details/fallout-3-goty-official-prima-guide-2009

That reminds me I got the F4 guide for Christmas when it was released. Opened it at my parent's living room. That home, that town, and living together... It's all gone now.
Not the guide. I'm pretty sure it's in a box, somewhere. Looking forward to use it one of these days. Next year, definitely.

Here's the link https://archive.org/details/Fallout4VaultDwellersSurvivalGuidePrimaOfficialGameGuide

Enjoy, and post your thoughts & screenshots

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Nuka World DLC is good.
It's really not. It's the base game only 10x more cynical. Do linear dungeons and claim settlements for retarded factions in a literal amusement park. It also highlights the complete lack of creativity and ambition at Bethesda. They could've done a dark version of Sea World or Six Flags, but instead someone said "Let's just do Nuka Cola. People already know what that is."
yeah I understand people judge them as RPGs, but I've played Nuka World on early level on survival mode, before reaching Diamond City I decided to go. And it was an experience for sure. After I completed it, which took many hours and deaths, I came out pretty OP and then the game was easy and I stopped playing. You get constantly one-shotted on survival and the amusement park had several hard encounters that were truly terrifying for a low level character. It also has an interesting twist in the end and oh yeah you do get a bit of C&C because you can decide to join the raiders and then go settlement raiding in the main game, but I haven't done that.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I've played Nuka World on early level on survival mode
I liked survival mode for sure. Rember installing some mod that reworked all the perks with survival in mind and it was quite deadly early game experience, scare ammo etc. Add some larping and there is fun experience to be had.

Quests on other hand... no

rubinstein

Educated
+_48a045f26f25f07b78d6de80284015bb.png

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Disregarding the actual Fallout and anything related to it, F4 can be semi-fun mindless exploration/looting/shooting game for, like, 10-15hours. Just disregard the talking and settlement building parts. After that threshold it completely runs out of steam and you've already had all the fun there was to be had.

F3 is just pure cancer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 4 is less bad than Fallout 3. I even had some fun with it.

Fallout 4 has decent shooting mechanics, some genuinely good level design, and while the lore and story are silly they're not nearly as pants-on-head retarded as Fallout 3's.
Fallout 3 has bad shooting, meh level design, and completely retarded writing.

There are people in this world who claim FO4 is bad because it has bad writing and disrespects Fallout lore, but they think FO3 is ok. These people are not sane. FO3 raped FO lore much more heavily than FO4 ever could.

Neither is a real Fallout game, but FO4 is fun for walking around the wasteland exploring dungeons and shit.

Camel

Scholar
Couldn't finish Fallout 4 and I have high tolerance for bad games. The power armour working as mecha was probably one highlight of the forgettable game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom