Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 4 - It just derps
But in the spirit of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, is F4 redeemable?
As in, if Bethesda let some 3rd party a chance, can another FNV-level F4-derivative game be done?

If better narrative design and overall writing is all one cares for, as it seems for certain crowd, then of course. If one also needs interesting core gameplay governed by intriguing RPG mechanics (that matter), my guess is it's questionable that a 3rd party would go through all the hoops and loops to alter the existing systems enough to achieve that.

typical user

Arbiter
Fallout 4 - It just derps
But in the spirit of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, is F4 redeemable?
As in, if Bethesda let some 3rd party a chance, can another FNV-level F4-derivative game be done?

Sure. Give better weapons, armors, locations, bring back skill checks and secondary stats, balance this whole thing out so perks aren't "kill moar" but change gameplay, dip your game into well-done story full of interesting NPCs and you have a great game. Bonus points for abandoning Retardryo engine with it's loading screens, trash collector mechanics and ridiculously high requirements to run on stable fps.

That's when I realised all the locations in this game are just places to put enemies. It almost feels like playing World of Warcraft.

You know what's even more retarded? This game bitchslaps you with enemies. I've entered mayor's bunker and guess what? I was ambushed by synths that had no fucking business in old bunker with no technology or weapons. It was because some moron thought that player would be bored if he visited single abandoned location. Or the quest with supplies gone missing for Brotherhood. You have to follow suspected guy and guess what? You enter sewers full of ghouls and your guy is on the other side of that dungeon. Or first quest for Brotherhood with Danse Dance Master. You have to go to Arcjet Systems and along the way you get attacked by raiders or stray dogs or some other shit. You start another playthrough and you know what? Same type of enemies in same location in that quest will attack you. Or main quest where you have to follow your stupid dog to find Kellogg, you walk across train tracks and suddenly molerats unburrow around you and go batshit crazy, 20 meter further you run across Yao Guai, because same moron thought that maybe you are bored so you need another dumb critter to whack. It's ridiculous that almost every location is full of enemies and almost every major quest has to have sequence of 'fucking kill'. It gets boring really quickly when you see raiders or ghouls or mutants for 50th time and there is nothing new about them.

I miss times when you have had to proceed with caution to Watershed as your first mutie had flamer that could melt you in 3 turns.

CrawlingDead

Learned
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1578838-should-fallout-leave-bethesda/

"I'm guessing you haven't read the 3 million similair posts with as much bile generating flame bait. So in answer to your question, no Bathesda is doing just fine. I loved all four of the previous fallouts, FO2 being my favorite till now. Falling in love with 4 has been a blast and I can't wait for the mods/dlc."

Bitch, proof-read your shit.

Also this:
There are plenty of other topics discussing this in a similar way, this is closed for flamebait.

Aaron Burr

Educated
Article is nearly a month old so perhaps it's already been posted, but Patricia Hernandez of all people has taken the Not A True Fallout Game route:
http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-is-not-the-fallout-fans-fell-in-love-with-1745651992

I'm not shocked to see that from Hernandez. She wrote a massive essay for Rock Paper Shotgun a few years back about how Fallout 2 was a life-changing experience for her (largely because you can be a lesbian). It doesn't take a genius to realize how much has been lost, especially if you started with the originals.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Article is nearly a month old so perhaps it's already been posted, but Patricia Hernandez of all people has taken the Not A True Fallout Game route:
http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-is-not-the-fallout-fans-fell-in-love-with-1745651992

I think it must have something to do with with a recent sour relations between Kotaku and Bethesda, when Kotaku releasing article back in 2013 that leaking Prologue Script into the masses.

So Kotaku must have thought "Well, Fuck it" and release an article like that.

Still sounds pretty positive.

obligatory don't get me wrong bit said:
I mean, this game is one of the most impressive, ambitious simulated worlds I’ve ever seen. There are so many moving pieces inside Fallout 4, and it’s a joy to see how they all interact.

tl; dr "it's a good game but not a good rpg". Maybe the games journalism scene is so utterly bonkers that Kotaku will push out relatively normal articles as clickbait. :M

GrapeJam

Novice
Now if only someone remake New Vegas, or Fallout 2 in Fallout 4 engine I might actually buy the game legitly, when it's on sale for 5 bucks......

Or not.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
He pumped Fo4 up so much in the run-up to its release that he pretty much had no option other than to pretend to like it up until now, lest he look like a complete fucking retard in front of The Internet, which he ended up doing anyway.
That reminds me of a Total War player I used to watch a lot of, HeirOfCarthage. Thought he was a pretty decent player/commentator, so I watched his stuff for a fairly long time. Then around the time that Rome II was announced he started shilling that game hard, making pre-release impressions on trailers, what he hoped would be in the final game, doing a couple of collaboration videos with the devs, and so on. This was awkward enough, but it got even worse when the game came out and was panned for being a buggy mess. Following that was a couple months of him making virtually nothing but Rome II videos where he sounded bored as hell, yet kept insisting to the viewers constantly that he was having fun and that it was a fun game and that you should buy it. Made him pretty much unwatcheable for me.

Watched some of those tard's videos as well. Stupid shit, as expected, but afterwards I realized something that is probably worse than the "arrow to the knee" meme, and it gets thrown around at nearly every discussion regarding "games" these days.

Here is how to argue Skyrim is a better game than X:

"skyrim skyimr has so much tudu!!!!" "skyrim skyimr has so much tudu!!!!" "skyrim skyimr has so much tudu!!!!"

Every tard now uses this stupid argument to defend Skyrim and extend Bethesda's reign of decline upon the world. Just search anywhere and on the interwebs and this is what you get. This will soon change, replacing "Skyrim" with "Fallout 4" once the DLCs and the mods start rolling out.

And once asked what exactly do Bethesda games offer "so much tudu", it is always the same generic responses: i) it has so much to explore!; ii) just craft equipment and extend your collection!; iii) omg dungeons/subways!; iv) so much tudu!!!! ur ignorant!!!;
It's the addictive feedback loop thing I mentioned earlier. Keep the player hooked on meaningless content through a constant stream of meaningless rewards. There is indeed a lot to explore in Fallout 4, but a majority of it is just some variation of an abandoned building filled with junk, in which you could get some of the following:

Junk - to build your settlements that don't matter and/or upgrade your guns to be even more overpowered than they already are
Weapons - that are either slightly more overpowered than the weapons you already possess, or are only useful to scrap as junk (see above for that)
XP - to make your character that bit more overpowered than they already are

You're not doing it because you want to see where the story goes next, because the story is fucking garbage. You're not doing it to fight new enemies, because all the enemies in the game are the same, just with changed names, you're doing it because you're just a dog playing fetch.

It's one of the reasons why nobody ever brings up story when they're talking about how they enjoy a modern Bethesda game, even they seem to recognize that it's shit. I'd honestly imagine that a fairly high percent of players haven't even finished the game, and only stayed on it until they simply burnt out from boredom or the realization that they've pretty much gotten as much as they could out of the game within reasonable levels.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
123015_fallout4.jpg

This guy says in this video that can't get into Fallout 1 and 2 :
After Fallout 4 he changes his mind and says 1 and 2 are better :

Maybe now the younger generation that plays Fallout 4 and want more Fallout will play the originals and will see in the end how crappy the franchise turned out. This will of course happen only with the PC players that still have a brain.

typical user

Arbiter
It's the addictive feedback loop thing I mentioned earlier. Keep the player hooked on meaningless content through a constant stream of meaningless rewards. There is indeed a lot to explore in Fallout 4, but a majority of it is just some variation of an abandoned building filled with junk, in which you could get some of the following:

Junk - to build your settlements that don't matter and/or upgrade your guns to be even more overpowered than they already are
Weapons - that are either slightly more overpowered than the weapons you already possess, or are only useful to scrap as junk (see above for that)
XP - to make your character that bit more overpowered than they already are

You're not doing it because you want to see where the story goes next, because the story is fucking garbage. You're not doing it to fight new enemies, because all the enemies in the game are the same, just with changed names, you're doing it because you're just a dog playing fetch.

It's one of the reasons why nobody ever brings up story when they're talking about how they enjoy a modern Bethesda game, even they seem to recognize that it's shit. I'd honestly imagine that a fairly high percent of players haven't even finished the game, and only stayed on it until they simply burnt out from boredom or the realization that they've pretty much gotten as much as they could out of the game within reasonable levels.

If I could only brofist you. That's the problem. Every location is same. Every building I get inside has same assets, every enemy I fight I can meet in first few hours. Every piece of equipment I find is unappealing and it's stats don't matter. I had to download a mod because single shot weapons like sniper rifles were the only way to play this game.

I wanted to play with Flamer but it's damage output was pathetic same with other big guns and automatic rifles. What's the point of using them if you can fire 2 bullets and kill same enemy that otherwise require 2 magazines? I would have to restock after clearing every location. If someone is not using Gauss Rifle then he is retarded, it is the end-all weapon if you don't have fancy legendaries. The only way to make automatic weapons viable is to get radioactive or whatnot mod that adds 5% max hp radiation damage to each bullet that you can boost to 10% with nuclear physicist perk. Funny enough radiation weapons are even stronger on higher difficulties because their damage doesn't scale down, 50 rads are still 50 rads so your enemies can't defend from it.

But there is the problem that this game has no sense of progression. You are offered everything from the beginning. Before you could wear power armor, wield minigun and fight supermutant or deathclaws you had to play 50% of the game. And that made things interesting because new enemies weren't reskins with different names. You felt progression. You start Fo1 or Fo2 and fight with trash mobs and as you progress you find new weapons and armour and your enemies get stronger too. What's the better way to balance things out and give you feeling of getting stronger yet make the game still challenging? By introducing new content. Previously you would have to play few hours before you could go to military facility. In Fo4 you go to Fort Hagen and you feel you've been there before. You fought synths before too so there is nothing to surprise you.

Rewards are joke. Most armors look like shit taken from trash can, most weapons look... Weird? Why there is no Hk416 or AK-47 or that chinese rifle? Tommy Gun was shoe-horned, but why there is no modern weapon or any weapon from previous fallouts like AK-112? Why majority of NPCs use pipe weapons? I would expect them to use 14mm submachine guns by level 50 to overcome huge DR of power armour. The only interesting guns in this game are gauss gun, gatling laser, minigun, flamer, double barrel shotgun, sniper rifle and 10mm pistol. Everything else is just ugly and their stats are underpowered once you get them.

Balance is non existent. Same thing like Fo3, NPCs can survive point blank range shotgun shot or missle or minigun burst even unarmored. Perks are sneak more, kill more and kill more in vats. Why there is no ability to go prone and perk that increases DR from explosives when you hit the deck? Why there is no perk that unlocks new melee moves? Why there is no perk that changes vats into stop time, mark enemies and execute them like in Red Dead Redemption. Why there is no Terryfing presence perk? Why there is no perk that higlights traps or that marks grenades? Why there is no skill requirement to use energy weapons? Why the only way to heal yourself is to use stimpack, why there is no option to use first aid and have a perk that improves the odds? There are so many things that could make game interesting.

Sneaking is hardly an option, dungeons are Point A > Point B, if they were more open the I guess stealth would be an option. So you are left with standard FPS or VATS + ranged or melee. There is no stealth/diplomacy way to beat it. It was one of the rules in originals, 3 ways to play the game, as fighter, thief and smooth-talker. In Fo4 there is only violent option.

And to make things even more boring, Bethesda creates open world then forces players to crawl in dungeons on every occasion. What I liked in New Vegas was that majority of the game was outside caves or rundown buildings. If I was forced to go underground it was for good reason. It would be more interesting to fight 30 enemies in town ruins where I can use stealth or find good sniper nest instead of camping behind doors in another copy-paste dungeon. Bringing more NPCs would be an option because they wouldn't block my way. And you could snap more perks to make your party stronger. But what do I know? I am no Todd Howard.

Last edited:

SquidLord

Educated
He also at some point said that the world was small because it wasn't open world or something like that.
Am I the only one who thinks that a well made world map makes games seem bigger and not smaller?
Fallout 1&2 took place over whole states fallout 3 & 4 take place in one city and it's surroundings.

Open worlds mostly suck and are tiny.

:whatho:

He's also saying Fallout 4 is somehow more true to the original lore - an example, apparently, is power armour. Then again, that video is from 8th August, so it's not really "after Fallout 4".
Fallout 4 is more true to the original lore than Fallout 3. The biggest example would be the BoS, they're completely different than the white knight brigade from FO3, they're more like a mix of the original BoS and the enclave from the 3rd game. Otherwise he's probably referencing design, the enclave power armor for example, doesn't look like shit in this one, looks more like the original, same with the vault jumpsuits.

typical user

Arbiter

MrMattyPlays said:
Old-school VATS

:whatho:

He's also saying Fallout 4 is somehow more true to the original lore - an example, apparently, is power armour. Then again, that video is from 8th August, so it's not really "after Fallout 4".

TBH power armors are well made in Fo4. You look like a tank. In Fo1, Fo2 it looks like fancy metal shell, only in artworks it appears as bulky suit. But that's it, rest is just minecraft so hard to say Fallout 4 is more fallout than originals.

Aoyagi

Scholar
Fallout 4 is more true to the original lore than Fallout 3. The biggest example would be the BoS, they're completely different than the white knight brigade from FO3, they're more like a mix of the original BoS and the enclave from the 3rd game. Otherwise he's probably referencing design, the enclave power armor for example, doesn't look like shit in this one, looks more like the original, same with the vault jumpsuits.

TBH power armors are well made in Fo4. You look like a tank. In Fo1, Fo2 it looks like fancy metal shell, only in artworks it appears as bulky suit. But that's it, rest is just minecraft so hard to say Fallout 4 is more fallout than originals.

Yes, it may look more like what you'd imagine when someone says "power armour", but they way how common it is kind of defeats its original premise that it's available only to the largest and most advanced organisations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom