Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Gargaune

Arcane
And the hits keep on rollin':

http://enbdev.com/news.html said:
26 april 2024

Published ENBSeries 0.501 for Fallout 4 Crap-Gen edition. This version is for compatibility with last game update. Water, subsurface scattering and fog do not work. Maybe something else too. Previous game version is recommended.

Thanks, Todd!

He didn't seem critical of it other than saying that it took Bethesda a while to fix it
I said he was critical of the patch overall, not that one item.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Don't worry, mods will fix it.
Oh wait, the patch broke them.

tenor.gif

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I said he was critical of the patch overall, not that one item.
I will say that it's amazing how much hype there was about this patch before it dropped. It was mentioned quite a bit in the YouTube noise I have in the background when I'm working on something. Then it dropped, and there wasn't a lot to it.

Gargaune

Arcane
I will say that it's amazing how much hype there was about this patch before it dropped. It was mentioned quite a bit in the YouTube noise I have in the background when I'm working on something. Then it dropped, and there wasn't a lot to it.
People never fucking learn. And even if they do, Bethesda still finds a way to surprise them. Take me for instance - I expected the patch to break mods left and right and I expected it do add absolutely nothing in return. I didn't expect Bethesda to change the .ba2 format, which could be a bigger and more permanent affair and it's gotten to the point I wonder whether it's a deliberate obsolescence move.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I didn't expect Bethesda to change the .ba2 format, which could be a bigger and more permanent affair and it's gotten to the point I wonder whether it's a deliberate obsolescence move.
That's an interesting change that I'm sure has nothing to do with them also fixing the Creation Club issues in the same patch. It's kind of an interesting thing to change nine years after the release of the game, isn't it?

Gargaune

Arcane
That's an interesting change that I'm sure has nothing to do with them also fixing the Creation Club issues in the same patch. It's kind of an interesting thing to change nine years after the release of the game, isn't it?
It could have some technical rationale related to Creation Club rubbish, I can't say without looking more into what exactly was changed format-wise and I'm tired of looking into Bethesda's crap. At best, it's doing a hack job of a real requirement, fulfilling an actual function but with disregard towards the modding scene, at worst it's a deliberate attempt to corral PC players into adopting the "next-gen" update if modders start defaulting to the new format, lest some stick with the old version like they did with Skyrim vs. Skyrim Special Edition. Either way, it's nothing to be happy about.

Gargaune

Arcane
F4SE v.0.7.1 released for Fo4 1.10.980, emphasis mine...

All native code plugins (.dlls) need to be updated by their creators for 1.10.980.
Old native code plugins not loading is not a problem with F4SE.

1.10.980 itself is pretty unstable, so expect crashes that aren't F4SE's fault.

Well done, Todd. Well done.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It could have some technical rationale related to Creation Club rubbish, I can't say without looking more into what exactly was changed format-wise and I'm tired of looking into Bethesda's crap. At best, it's doing a hack job of a real requirement, fulfilling an actual function but with disregard towards the modding scene, at worst it's a deliberate attempt to corral PC players into adopting the "next-gen" update if modders start defaulting to the new format, lest some stick with the old version like they did with Skyrim vs. Skyrim Special Edition. Either way, it's nothing to be happy about.
It could easily be that the stuff they had to do to get the broken Creation Club stuff working broke everything else. In other words, it wasn't the intention, but they don't care if that's the result. The fact that the Creation Club mods broke a lot of the things in the game and Bethesda left it that way for so long is pretty incredible. It really goes to show their commitment to quality in their avenues of revenue enhancement. I can't name another game where this was the case, where paid content was left broken for a long time and the patch to fix it breaks most of the third party mods. They pretty much waited for Amazon to release a 10 hour commercial for their games before they bothered to fix something that they should have made sure wasn't broken.

Gargaune

Arcane
The fact that the Creation Club mods broke a lot of the things in the game and Bethesda left it that way for so long is pretty incredible. It really goes to show their commitment to quality in their avenues of revenue enhancement. I can't name another game where this was the case, where paid content was left broken for a long time and the patch to fix it breaks most of the third party mods.
Dude, you're talking about a company whose base paid content has a bug where an on-by-default graphics setting causes it to CTD on half the GPUs in circulation. It was there at launch in 2015 and it's still there today, after the "next-gen patch", fucking nVidia's Fo4 Weapon Debris support page was updated just last week. They "fixed" the game so you can buy all their "creations" but they couldn't be arsed to make their launcher's auto-config turn that gamebreaking shit off, that is the level of utter contempt Bethesda have for their paying customer.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

All native code plugins (.dlls) need to be updated by their creators for 1.10.980.

>buy car
>install spoiler on the back
>5 years later manufacturer sends someone to remove my spoiler and change the type of bolts
>"contact your spoiler manufacturer so he can abjust his product to fit the car again :)"
>video game metaphor
We live in a society.

ArchAngel

Arcane

>buy car
>install spoiler on the back
>5 years later manufacturer sends someone to remove my spoiler and change the type of bolts
>"contact your spoiler manufacturer so he can abjust his product to fit the car again :)"
>video game metaphor
We live in a society.
You forgot
>that someone can access my car without me being able to stop him as soon as I want to use that car

Vyvian

Educated
I wonder how many good mods are just going to vanish now because of this bullshit.

Gargaune

Arcane
I wonder how many good mods are just going to vanish now because of this bullshit.
Some will get updated but for others the only chance was that F4SE would manage to keep backwards compatibility, and since that's out of the picture, they'll fall by the wayside. It's been nine years, people move on. Except for Todd, unfortunately.

Gargaune

Arcane
We'll see.
One of the Skyrim Anniversary updates made a massive change to the ESL format, and it resulted in this mod for older versions, namely regular SE.
I'm sure a similar thing can be patched in for the older Fallout 4 executable, assuming Bethesda didn't really fix anything worthwhile.
I don't think anything like that's going to happen, firstly because these won't be separate products, formally, and secondly because the Fo4 modding scene is considerably smaller and less interested than Skyrim's.
Well, fuck me running, I stand corrected:

Backported Archive2 Support System

Backported Archive2 Support System replicates the updated archive loading code used in Fallout 4's 1.10.980 patch. This allows old game versions to seamlessly load newer archive files without crashing. Equivalent to Skyrim's BEES.

I suggest using Simple Fallout 4 Downgrader in tandem.

Requirements

• F4SE
  • Address Library for F4SE Plugins
  • Pre-existing downgraded 1.10.163 versions of Fallout4.exe and steam_api64.dll. All other files (ESP, ESL, ESM, BA2, etc) may be safely upgraded to the latest game version.

Sounds like a mess to upgrade and then downgrade, but I'm impressed someone managed to get this done.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I imagine it's not too difficult if you know what you're doing inside tools like Ghidra (I don't).

You'd mainly need to identify the parts of the code that deals with the archives,
then copy the ones that have changed into a plugin,
and then have the plugin overwrite the original routines with a trampoline that jumps to the updated code instead.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's been nine years, people move on.
People need a legitimate reason to move on. It's bullshit when they're forced to move on because of things like the Fallout 4 NEXT GEN patch or whatever the fuck Bethesda's been calling it. Would people still be playing Fallout 4 if Starfield wasn't shit? Some would, but there would also be quite a few that might have moved on to the new game.

Gargaune

Arcane
People need a legitimate reason to move on. It's bullshit when they're forced to move on because of things like the Fallout 4 NEXT GEN patch or whatever the fuck Bethesda's been calling it.
I'm not telling people to move on, I'm saying they have - for normal reasons over time - and now there's no one to update their mods for Todd's latest bullshit build. Modding is half the fun of a Bethesda game, indeed I wouldn't even bother with an unmoddable title from them, and to see stuff get broken so many years down the line in exchange for literally nothing, it's like watching someone kick a sandcastle for the pure fuck of it.

It's been nine years, people move on.

Seven years between Fallout 3 and 4. Nine years since 4, and the next game is still a decade or so away. The peasants have no bread
It's an interesting marketing strategy. Each generation gets its own game, allowing for the memory of the previous one to get blurried out and probably rose-tint-glass'd so to speak. You get very strong opinions about FO1 and 2 because theyw ere released in a short space of time and the playerbase was the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom