Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas 10 Year Anniversary

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyway moving on from this tool, I am currently playing an Unarmed/Explosives build on VNV and I am having an absolute blast. You get to start with a decent set of brass knuckles, and it makes such a difference to the character. Knocking fools out like there's no tomorrow.

Also the new UI thing they're using is great, you can keep track of the various survival statistics and even display your crit chance and other stuff like Karma. And karma is actually important now because stealing anything impacts it heavily so you really have to choose whether you really, really need to steal a given item.

Anyway so many little details that the modlist changes that make a nice difference.

This game is like crack to me, I keep coming back to it every year or two and it never loses its appeal somehow

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
1) Nobody told you to stop playing on the 360 and start modding on PC instead.
2) Yosharian rightfully corrected your objectively wrong statement.
3) I don't know the last time you play FNV, but its modding scene has come a long way. Lot's of really enjoyable and immersive quest/encounter/content mods out there.

And I personally don't care on which platform you play FNV, because, unless Fallout 3 or 4, it doesn't need any modding to be enjoyable.

1) Yet you keep replying to me pretending you know more than me about mods and acting like I need to get taught by you. I never asked for your help.
2) Rightfully corrected me about what? Am I objectively wrong to play without these amazing mods?
3) There you go again shilling mods. I don't care how far mods have come I don't care, man. Fuck off.
Yes. I absolutely think that I do possess more knowledge than you when it comes to this topic, and he rightfully corrected you on the topic of that mods today can make your game/savegame way more stable than vanilla PC/360.

Anyway moving on from this tool, I am currently playing an Unarmed/Explosives build on VNV and I am having an absolute blast. You get to start with a decent set of brass knuckles, and it makes such a difference to the character. Knocking fools out like there's no tomorrow.
Don't forget to use ShowOff (unless you're using the BLEED mod) for weapon fatigue damage to make NPC's actually go unconscious.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/72541?tab=description

Delphik

Are there any actually good "New content" mods AKA Quests, locations, dungeons or anything extra you can do? The Frontier and New California were garbage to say the least.
I really wish the Fallout New Vegas modding scene was as good as Neverwinter Nights, but I guess that's what you get when your game is not niche.

Yosharian

Arcane
Are there any actually good "New content" mods AKA Quests, locations, dungeons or anything extra you can do? The Frontier and New California were garbage to say the least.
I really wish the Fallout New Vegas modding scene was as good as Neverwinter Nights, but I guess that's what you get when your game is not niche.
I think the bounty hunter mods are probably the best but even they aren't particularly good. They're alright.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You are such a dumbass.

I have a new mod idea for you, just make sure to put it at the top of your load order. it's called Kill Yourself. Press "F" to kill yourself.

You are trash.
I'm with you bro. I hate the mentality that mods are a necessity or that they are the way the game is intended to be played, that the game is outdated without them etc etc. There are no mods that will save an already shit game, because mods are just tinkering with a completed system, and if the game isn't shit then it is worth playing vanilla or near-vanilla.

The only mod I use when I replay New Vegas is jsawyer, now jsawyer ultimate. For Morrowind I use the mod, more of a patch, that delays the expansion content and stops it from interfering with the base game (stops the dark brotherhood assassins from spawning at the beginning of the game). The idea that the bethesda engine games are "saved" by mods is bullshit because the games that are worth playing are good without mods and games like Skyrim or Oblivion are shit no matter how much you mod them, and the closer to vanilla I play them the more it feels like I'm playing a real game rather than some cobbled together freakshow.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Autumn Leaves - High quality quest series in a vault
New Vegas Uncut 1-7 Overall cut content restoration
NV Interior Project Adds many great looking interiors to empty buildings
TLD_Travelers A lot of lore friendly random encounters based on your quest progress
3DNPC Series for New Vegas New NPC's, adds way more life into the wasteland
Functional Post Game Ending Enables post game + new content
Legion Quest Expanded more Legion content
The Inheritance - High quality Treasure hunt with extra random encounters
The High Desert - High quality questing series with a more lighter overall tone
Race to the Bottom - another great questing series

I think the bounty hunter mods are probably the best but even they aren't particularly good. They're alright.
They're pretty shit. Don't bother.

Yosharian

Arcane
I hate the mentality that mods are a necessity or that they are the way the game is intended to be played, that the game is outdated without them etc etc.
I never said that. I said that the game is more stable with mods. And I said that the game is better, which is of course my personal opinion. Not that vanilla is 'outdated', or that it is not the way the game was 'intended to be played'. And I never said that mods are a 'necessity'.

Here is my comment again:
VNV will not break your saves in any way and is a million times better than vanilla. Ridiculous comment.

In fact it's the opposite, vanilla is more likely to break your saves than VNV.
VNV is basically vanilla-but-even-better, and its stability (crashes, bugs) is far, far better than the vanilla game.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't use mods, I use third-party enhancements. From now on I will refer to quality improvements to a game as 'enhs'.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The High Desert - High quality questing series with a more lighter overall tone
Race to the Bottom - another great questing series

I reinstalled NV to play these, including the rest of the series that concludes with 'High Desert'. It reinforces the point that the modding community is made up mostly of communists or degenerates.

laclongquan

Arcane
A World Of Pain Revised Mod. This one provide a lore-friendly selection of buildings, dungeons, and enemies absolutely lore-friendly, unlike the original AWOP4NV (it cut off the non-lore stuffs and add 10 caves for where there's supposed to be one)

Claim the Mojave mod where you can claim a series of locations in the name of a faction of your choice (from vanilla to DLC ones like Big Mountain etc). If you think the farms in the centre of the map too empty, claim it in the name of , say, Enclave, and watch fireworks~

Salt Lake Stories is a good content mod where you go away to Salt Lake legion. A good exploration and gameplay mod.

Spukrian

Savant
So I finished New Vegas. I played for about 150 hours over the course of about five months. But it feels longer and I'm exhausted...

At first I had problems with crashing and corrupted saves, so I followed the Viva New Vegas Guide mostly.

So my character was focused in Chance's Knife and raw damage, without critical hits. It worked out OK, but there are better melee builds out there.

I played it through on Hardcore mode. This was great. That said, I never felt like I had to manage my resources (food & water is overabundant).

When I got to Nipton I slaughtered the Legion people there. This made the Legion send Assassins after me, which was fine but got annoying after a while. I believe they actually killed a few NPCs involved with quests.

There was a funny situation where I saw some Legion Assassins in the distance and there were Deathclaws nearby, so I moved a bit so the Assassins had to get through the Deathclaws in order to find me. The Deathclaws killed them, great!

When I got to New Vegas I decided to explore and do sidequests instead of continuing with the main plot. So I did that and also played through the DLCs.

Honest Hearts: It really evokes the FallOut 2 feeling... and I got some nice lore! Other than that I didn't get much other than loot and xp. Kinda "meh" I guess.

Dead Money: Now this would've been fantastic... except whenever there was a level transition there was a 50% risk of the game crashing. Other than that I liked it very much. Really kept me on my toes.

Old World Blues: Oh, so this humour is what inspired the humour of The Outer Worlds. It was quite fun to play through.

Lonesome Road: I guess it was OK... The voice actor sounded too much like a robot for me to be engaged in what he said. In the end I managed to convince him to help in the final fight.

Well, I did some quests for Yes Man and then followed Mr House for a while, untill he asked me to murder the Brotherhood Of Steel. I couldn't do that, so I had to betray him and go back to Yes Man.

In conclusion, I liked FallOut: New Vegas, it was a great game, but I feel I really need to be in the right mindset if I'm ever going to replay it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom