Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas makes my computer fucking restart.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Alright, I'm gonna try Divinity 2 and see how that works. A comparable game in terms of how it taxes my hardware, wouldn't you agree? So if it happens while playing that I'll know it's my comp, if it doesn't happen I'll know it's the game. Right?

Tycn

Savant
If you want to stress your hardware get Furmark and Prime95. That'll reveal any hardware faults much faster than any game.

Dicksmoker said:
Alright, I'm gonna try Divinity 2 and see how that works. A comparable game in terms of how it taxes my hardware, wouldn't you agree? So if it happens while playing that I'll know it's my comp, if it doesn't happen I'll know it's the game. Right?

Better just look inside your comp to check how's the situation regarding dust. Last time I cleaned it it solved shitton of problems as well as increasing performance significantly in every game.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Dicksmoker said:
Goddamnit. Obsidian really outdid themselves with this one. It doesn't just crash to desktop, it actually restarts my fucking computer. It seems to happen randomly as I play; I can only go an hour or so before it happens. When it does I get a brief blue screen which I don't have time to read and then it restarts. I've looked online and there doesn't seem to be any clear solution. I've updated my graphics and audio card drivers, and also disabled ffdshow, two of the suggestions I saw online. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of heat either. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about?

your computer is shit then

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Dicksmoker said:
When it does I get a brief blue screen which I don't have time to read and then it restarts.

Disable the automatic restart on system failure. Not sure what OS you have, but in XP it's here:
Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Dicksmoker, one of the most important aspects of troubleshooting a problem is to be able to reliably reproduce that problem. If you get the BSOD's fairly frequently in New Vegas then you might want to focus your efforts there.

Sure, it could be a problem specifically with that game, but it's actually known to be a fairly stable game now, especially with the latest patch.

If you know that the BSOD/reboot is usually associated with audio popping, why don't you try temporarily disabling the sound in the game or even removing your sound card then playing it for a while? Just turn the subtitles on and see how stable things seem to be. Still get BSOD's? Not the sound card. They completely go away? There you are.

Logic, dude. Use logic.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Alright, after getting a new sound card I played for several hours with no problems. So I guess that was it.

I'm still blaming Obsidian for causing it to go to a blue screen instead of a CTD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom