Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
And the gibberish is even more incomprehensible because in his effort to sound bad-ass, he forgets to use some fucking commas, which would give more coherence to his textual diarrhea. He sounds retarded at the end.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I like how when fanboi can't post a single argument to defend their shitty Oblivion with guns clone all their posts are "lololo unrelaeted gibbeeerush!! you try to sound cool baaaawwww!!!"

Haha are you really that dumb?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's not like Skyway isn't right (suddenly everything is right, because Obsidian is doing it), but hey, let's make fun of him because he's Skyway and he's a hater.

So yeah, I really like how when people don't have any counter-arguments start making fun of him and his English knowledge.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
FeelTheRads said:
It's not like Skyway isn't right (suddenly everything is right, because Obsidian is doing it), but hey, let's make fun of him because he's Skyway and he's a hater.

So yeah, I really like how when people don't have any counter-arguments start making fun of him and his English knowledge.

how the fuck is he right? the game isn't even out yet, dumbass. the fuck is the point in whining about how it's no different? of course it's going to be different. are you guys fucking kidding me? will it suck? maybe. is the tranny image shit? yes. is the orbital laser idea shit? dunno, but it seems so. is the rest of the preview info promising? yep. beyond that any discussion is worthless. and why the fuck are you defending him? seriously, guys...you don't get Rosh-badges for hating things. you will win no awards for attempts at being cynical pre-cogs.

the only thing Skyway is good for is dependability. just like the bum on Franklin street who always specifically asks for 38 cents, this consistency is proof that even were it true i am living in a solipsistic reality, certain things remain grounded.

Black

Arcane
I bet he (and others, cough) will be right when it comes to NV's combat, for example.
Obsidian always made shitty combat systems, and now they have to work on another shitty combat system. And in FPP/TPP, something they've never done before. The chances of them fixing it and making it good aren't too great.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
how the fuck is he right?

He's right in that before Bethesda released Fallout 3 everybody was screaming how it will suck, but now that we're talking about Obsidian suddenly we have to wait for the game to come out to bash it. Exactly what TESFers were saying.

And really, besides the shit things Bethesda was telling us that will be in Fallout 3 they also said some good things, but nobody cared about those. Of course, in the end they were lies, but for what reason should we trust Obsidian to not lie?

Achilles

Arcane
So why is that wrong? Most people here trust Obsidian more than Bethesda. Seems logical to me.

Black

Arcane
I trust Obsidian.
That doesn't mean I'm suddenly dumbfucked enough to think they're perfect devs. From NWN 2, Motb and KOTOR 2 you can see that there's a lot of room for improvement.
It also doesn't mean I don't know that bethesda is the publisher and that they've put some pretty serious restrictions on Obisidian.
And yeah, "trusting more than bethesda" doesn't say a lot, sorry.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Strawman. Nobody ever said Obsidian are perfect devs, they said the preview was promising. Stop defending Skyway, it is completely pointless and you make yourself look stupid.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Black said:
I trust Obsidian.
That doesn't mean I'm suddenly dumbfucked enough to think they're perfect devs.

who here EVER said this? was KOTOR2 half-assed and unfinished? yep. was it better than KOTOR1? i thought so. better than FO3? i thought so. was MOtB better than anything Bethesda's done in a decade? i thought so. does Obsidian have any other physical and tangible reason to gain our trust? not really. does Obsidian's FO:NV team contain MCA and a few other Fallout vets? yep. is that a better reason to trust them than Bethesda? are you fucking kidding? yes. will the combat suck? yep, but we knew that already right? just like we knew they wouldn't have time to fuck the graphics up from the pre-existing style, right?

in fact...i found FO3 a mostly playable game aside from the horrible dialogue, incredibly shitty story, lack of any sort of meaningful C&C and the broken SPECIAL/Skill systems. Obsidian fixes those things...which i'm betting they will, they've got a great game imo.the crap-ass graphics i can live with. the shitty combat i can live with...i never played Fallout for combat anyway.

so, yeah. fucking strawman pre-cog bullshit hyperbole is all that's really going on here.

Derper

Prophet
TwinkieGorilla said:
in fact...i found FO3 a mostly playable game aside from the horrible dialogue, incredibly shitty story, lack of any sort of meaningful C&C and the broken SPECIAL/Skill systems.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Derper said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
in fact...i found FO3 a mostly playable game aside from the horrible dialogue, incredibly shitty story, lack of any sort of meaningful C&C and the broken SPECIAL/Skill systems.

meaning, those are the fixable parts of the game which Obsidian no doubt has the time to do.

but har-har you get a Codex point for quoting something without text even though you actually got my point! good job!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
FeelTheRads said:
how the fuck is he right?

He's right in that before Bethesda released Fallout 3 everybody was screaming how it will suck, but now that we're talking about Obsidian suddenly we have to wait for the game to come out to bash it. Exactly what TESFers were saying.

And really, besides the shit things Bethesda was telling us that will be in Fallout 3 they also said some good things, but nobody cared about those. Of course, in the end they were lies, but for what reason should we trust Obsidian to not lie?
Track record?

First, Bethesda has been dumbing games down and shown little interest in getting good writers/designers. Like that quote: "Dialogue wasn't a battle we wanted to pick. There were other things that were more important for us to spend time and energy on… we just don't have unlimited monkeys and typewriters."

Second, Bethesda has a proven record of lying. It's kind of hard to think of a less trustworthy developer.

When Fallout 3's details and screens started hitting the net, it was clear that the overall design, setting, and dialogues were fucking stupid (as expected based on the track record), hence the reaction.

As for Obsidian, they have a much better track record (even SoZ shows willingness to experiment and try new things, which is probably one of the most important qualities in a game developer), I don't recall them lying and making shit up, but I do remember them publicly admitting that NWN2 was a 7/10 game. They do have good writers (MotB), they know how to work with dialogues and what role-playing is all about, and the key people worked on Fallout 2 and Van Buren, which makes them a much better choice than Bethesda.

Because it's an expansion, there is less pressure to flirt with the casual market on them (the MotB effect), so theoretically they are free to make whatever they want. Because they have the engine and the assets, they are free to focus on the gameplay, which inspires much confidence.

It doesn't mean that it will surely be an awesome game, but there is definitely no reason to be skeptical about it (unless I missed something, in which case feel free to point it out).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.oxmonline.com/article/previe ... -new-vegas

And it’s here that New Vegas slowly distinguishes itself from Fallout 3. After deciding whether to speak with Ringo to help the townsfolk or to the Powder Gangers’ Joe Cobb if you want to plunder Goodsprings (Obsidian took Ringo’s good-guy route for our demo), you’ll have to hustle — in our case, to convince the townies to help you in the imminent fight. Sunny and canine companion Cheyenne don’t need much convincing. Follow her to the Mojave Wasteland to kill a few giant mutated geckos, and she’s easily swayed. Better yet, you’ll get to test one of New Vegas’ unique weapons, the Varmint Rifle; this low-power .22 does significant damage to limbs and has a high critical-hit bonus.

Persuading the aging, apathetic Easy Pete to lend a hand is a bit trickier. Everyone knows he’s got a stash of dynamite, and it would really come in handy in the upcoming fight. He doesn’t seem to want to cough up the boomsticks, though. Remember when Obsidian chose Explosives as one of our character’s primary skills back in Doc Mitchell’s office? Here’s where we get to see it in action. Selecting the dialogue option with [Explosives] in front of it quickly changes Pete’s finicky tune, and he happily hands over his stash of dynamite.

Using skills in conversations is an emphasis for us,” says Sawyer. The idea in role-playing terms, he clarifies, is that if you’re talking to someone about explosives and that happens to be one of your strongest skills, you’re going to know a lot about them. Apparently, having an emphasis in certain topics means that if they come up in conversation, you’ll have a higher chance of influencing fussy characters. Sounds logical to us!

As in most RPGs, you won’t always succeed when you’re trying to sweet-talk characters, but Obsidian is building the game so you’ll always have the chance to do so. They’re also making sure you can apply every single skill — including speech, sneak, barter, and explosives — in conversations. It’s an engaging level of non-combative RPG gameplay that Fallout 3 lacked. "

Sounds pretty good, no?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WATCH MY INTERNET NINJA SKILL

And it’s here that New Vegas slowly distinguishes itself from Fallout 3.

BRO THAT MAKES NO SENSE YTOU ARE STUPID

Persuading the aging, apathetic Easy Pete to lend a hand is a bit trickier. Everyone knows he’s got a stash of dynamite, and it would really come in handy in the upcoming fight. He doesn’t seem to want to cough up the boomsticks, though. Remember when Obsidian chose Explosives as one of our character’s primary skills back in Doc Mitchell’s office? Here’s where we get to see it in action. Selecting the dialogue option with [Explosives] in front of it quickly changes Pete’s finicky tune, and he happily hands over his stash of dynamite.

BRO THAT IS STUPID FALLOUT 3 HAD DIALOG SKILL CHECKS AND ONLY FAGS LIKED THEM

“Using skills in conversations is an emphasis for us,”

BRO MORE LIKE BEING A FAG IS YOUR EMPHAISIS

Sounds pretty good, no?
GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS FABOY FAGS

OLOLOLLOOLOLLO I TOTALLUY OWNED THE INTERVIEWED GUY CODEX STYLE I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON A DEBATE TEAM

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Track record?

Fine, there are more reasons to trust Obsidian, but as for the reasons to be skeptical... well, the shit they've been telling us that will be in, for example.

Sounds pretty good, no?

It does. We'll see how that turns out in the end.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
FeelTheRads said:
Fine, there are more reasons to trust Obsidian, but as for the reasons to be skeptical... well, the shit they've been telling us that will be in, for example.

like what? the tranny and the orbital laser and what else? pretty much everything else they've been showing sounds great to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom