Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Farcry 2

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
If you want a sandbox FPS, play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

gromit

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Multidirectional said:
it tries to be all sandboxy and fails
Not really. It just has big, open maps.
Dirk Diggler said:
But if you think you might enjoy the bizarre, often precocious, sometimes obnoxious, three-way lovechild of Sega Rally, Soldier of Fortune, and the first Ghost Recon, give it a whirl. Gotta be five bucks by now, or as free as it always was if that's your style.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROSTHE WORST PROBLEM OF FAR CRY 2 IS THAT IT IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT

GOOD SHOOTERS ARE NOT POPAMOLE BUT HAVE TO BE VERY DERIVATIVE OF EACH OTHER

a budda

Arbiter
i liked FC2 but that was mainly because of graphics, atmosphere, d/n cycles, jungle-bushes-trees stuff, but then i played it when it was released...

the plot isn't bad, even brilliant if you compare it to ME2, CODs and the like
shooting and missions aren't bad either
but then you must spend about half of the time driving some car/jeep or a boat through some canions - i like it so had no problem with that, enjoyed it even - but then some just hate it

so if you like to see some nice NATURE and shoot a bit it's a great game

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It's just not very interesting and there's nothing to see or do. Worth playing if you have far too many hours to waste, I couldn't really justify driving an hour to each mission and back to myself.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I've always had this one question about the game, though.
Does not doing the ally branches of a story mission affect the end of the mission at all beyond having to babysit said partner while in the middle of a firefight?
I always did the optional partner branches, and never bothered to replay the game.

Micmu

Magister
Dirk Diggler said:
...which has equally unbearable respawns as farcrap 2, if not worse.
But at least it has much better setting.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AGREE WORST THING IS THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT BETWEEN MISSION

IN TRUE PC GAMER FASHION YOU SHOUL PRESS A BUTTN AND HAVE SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPEN CONSOLETARDS RUINED FAR CRY 2 BY MAKING YOU WAIT BETWEEN AWESOMENESS

AWESOME PC GAMES HAVE IMMEDIAGTE REWARDS NOT ACHIEVEMENTS THOUGH THOSE ARE FOR FAGGOT BOX PEOPLE BUT NO WAITNING BETWWEN ACTUON SEQUENCES THAT IS LAST GEN

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Comeone folks!

Have you all forgotten the convoys driving in circles?
Or that despite the lush and dense jungle the enemy stealth was unusable?

Yeah it was pretty, but man was it dumb.
That AI behaved exactly the same all the time.

And the fucking checkpoints/camps, totally rage inducing.
And the only way to skip them was to hike through the jungle which took forever.
You couldnt even race the camps cause you'd have a jeep ramming your ass.

Sure it was pretty but it had real shitty gameplay.

a budda

Arbiter
WetWorks1 said:
And the fucking checkpoints/camps, totally rage inducing.
And the only way to skip them was to hike through the jungle which took forever.
You couldnt even race the camps cause you'd have a jeep ramming your ass.

speed through them
if they get you fight like a man
drive on
completely do no understand the bitching
jus learn to drive and they're harmless

a budda

Arbiter
actually respawns in stalker were far more rageinducing and somehow noone cares

also wtf with that steakth, it's not a rpg ffs
anyway yo u could use silent approach anyhow you wanted mostly

sser

Arcane
Developer
Far Cry 2 sucks balls. The killing lots of Africans part may interest you if you're Belgian or something, otherwise the game is boring as hell.

Far Cry 1 came out at the same time as Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 and, before the monsters show up anyway, I think Far Cry 1 kicks both their asses. The scenery was better, the gunplay better, and the overall gameplay was better. For the first half of the game you can go at each scenario in just about as many ways as you can imagine (except on the harder difficulties, where the AI enemies become all-seeing Terminators). Compared to Half-Life 2 though, which actually has some semblance of art direction beside trees, it hasn't aged well at all.

waywardOne

Arcane
far cry for me is rated "2y", which means it takes approximately 2 years from the time i last played till i have urges to play it again. for comparison, deus ex and theif2 are 1y.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
How are the respawns in STALKER worse? They only happen when you switch zone, you generally only bump into one or two groups of respawned enemies per map and they're often avoidable or outrunnable. Not that they're good, but in Far Cry 2, they respawn in the same area within minutes.

BROS I AGREE WORST THING IS THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT BETWEEN MISSION

IN TRUE PC GAMER FASHION YOU SHOUL PRESS A BUTTN AND HAVE SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPEN CONSOLETARDS RUINED FAR CRY 2 BY MAKING YOU WAIT BETWEEN AWESOMENESS

Agreed, bro. Doom would only have been even better if, between every level, you trudged down mile-long maintenance shafts between areas, and between episodes you got to play through the exciting sequence of descending a rope to hell for two hours. That's real gaming, innit?

What was wrong with the monsters in Far Cry 1? They all required different tactics to defeat, as the soldiers did. The set piece battles between the soldiers and monsters (where you could also get involved) were quite memorable.

I remember one amusing moment; in some ancient ruins, I could hear something crawling and sneaking around, and faint hints of static from radios. I found a hidey hole and tossed a grenade down a corridor. Suddenly, pure pandemonium broke out.

Evidently, there was a platoon of soldiers in the ruins, and also a couple of goliaths (I don't know their name; giant monsters with rocket launcher arms. Very tough) wandering about in another part. Now, the soldiers rushed to the scene of the grenade detonation...as did the monsters. The roars, gunfire and screams were utterly hilarious. I found a perch from which to watch the carnage unfold, then picked off the remaining creature, careful to avoid his rocket attacks.

Many other moments in the game are etched on my mind.

Far Cry 1, on the harder difficulty settings, is easily my favourite, straight up FPS. By far. I am sure many a sissy has cryed attempting to finish it.

SoupNazi

I have to agree with that assessment. I never had a problem with the monsters and even appreciated the change in pace. The most memorable part of Far Cry is obviously the part where you fall down a waterfall, losing all of your weapons and have to sneak through a jungle full of monsters. I, too, played on the top difficulty settings (I think it was called Realistic, just like in Deus Ex and Crysis) and that level must have been the most scared I was ever by a game. No cheap tricks and boo gimmicks, just plain fear for your life and constant paranoia.

Ah yes, the weaponless level (virtually. Until you find the abandoned helicopter, you have an assault rifle with 4 rounds in it I believe). Quite a challenge. I still remember lying in the bushes, praying that the monsters around me wouldn't notice...then one of them turning towards me, looking...then finally looking away....then sneaking another 10 feet or so. Took a long time to edge my way through that level. Eventually I made a mad dash into the sea, with the creatures hot on my heels. I am glad to say the things didn't seem to like deep water.

I think there is a number of ways to sneak around that level.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO JIMBOB I DONT THINK YOU HAD TO WATE AN HOUR BETWEEN MISSIONS

BRO NEXTGEN GAMERS HAVE NO PAITEINTS

Micmu

Magister
Admiral jimbob said:
How are the respawns in STALKER worse? They only happen when you switch zone, you generally only bump into one or two groups of respawned enemies per map and they're often avoidable or outrunnable. Not that they're good, but in Far Cry 2, they respawn in the same area within minutes
Have you played STALKER? They DO respawn while you're still in the same map, in fact, they respawn incredibly often and relentless in some areas. The worst case is the Freedom base. You can't even finish picking up their gear after you wiped them out because new enemies just keep on coming from the edge of the map. It's absolutely ridiculous and one of those "what the fuck were they thinking" moments. Same thing with that underground X-something lab entrance where soldiers keep on coming if you don't just blitz the map as fast as possible and never come back. 90% of ammo in that game you just waste on fucking respawns.

saenz

Scholar
Far Cy 2 wouldn't have been that bad if you didn't have to return to the same damn base at the center of the map for every quest. When combined with the respawning checkpoints, you end up fighting the same fucking firefights at least twenty times over the course of the game. (Not exaggerating.) The game would have been actually tolerable if you could take all your quests by sat-phone, or the quest givers were spread out.

Super-realism also killed all the variety. No buffed-out sci-fi enemies that require full clips or explosives. No dodgy flying enemies. No clever environmental puzzles. No innovative weapons (other than car bombs.) No death-dealing nexgen military vehicles.

Ultimately, there's only so many ways to put a bullet in somebody. And having to do that repeatedly to the same folks in the same environment gets old fast.

Peter

Arcane
Aside from the annoying checkpoints and downtime between missions, which have been talked about enough, something I really hated was that you were often stuck on a little path between cliffs. There weren't enough open savannas, deserts and forests. 30% of the map was cliffs you couldn't get on to, and so had to use the roads to go around them. Que checkpoints.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom