Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite fan-created mod?

Jaqen

Novice
What do you considered your favourite fan created mod, for any game, to be?

Drog's arcanum + Qwinn's Planescape fixes are of course some of the widely accepted ones (and rightly deserved).

But are there any more obscure or rare ones you've come across and thought that it added a great deal to the original game? Any which, for whatever reason, was missed/overlooked by the majority?

MetalCraze

Arcane
No he is a faggot. But UAP is p. cool.

(1.13 for JA2, GRAA+ECP for OFP, ACE for ArmA, Domination/CTI/Warfare for OFP/ArmA)

Morkar Left

Ultima 5 Lazarus for Dungeon Siege. It changes a crappy and boring ARPG in a faithful Ultima 5 Remake with better writing than the original.

But there are many great mods out there and without these the shallowness of "modern" gameplay would be more obvious.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Urban Chaos for JA2 gave me lots of fun, even with the endless empty containers. Recently I've tried "random storm", a Silent Storm Sentinels mod for random encounters, that was very nice. Also B-Man mod for UFO extraterrestrials. All BG and IWD mods I tried, and that's a lot, range from "meh" to "retarded"

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Imoen romance mod. No, really, I always wanted to romance her (since common divine heritage doesnt count) and I liked her character. Mod is p. decent too.

Magna Mundi for EU3. It mainly sucks and has many many missed design decisions but is also way harder and more challenging than original EU3.

DAIM for HoI2. I like good AI.

Honorable mention goes to fixpacks, banterpacks, restorepatches.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
TNM hands down, almost as good as the original DX, but now you can kill everyone* and there is more stuff to do. Any DX fan should play it.

*Except for 3 people, two of which have valid reasons, and you are gratuitously rewarded for attempting to kill the third.

Elzair

Cipher
My favorite two mods are Children of the Night Parts 1 & 2 for Morrowind. God, those two mods are well done (albeit a bit buggy). It is too bad Part 3 was never finished. I should LP them some time.

A runner-up is the Elegia series for NWN.

EDIT: I have to mention Ultima V: Lazarus as well.

Thrasher

Erudite
In my limited experience, I'd have to say the "The Aielund Saga" series for NWN.

Truman

Scholar
Alien Swarm and Counter-Strike. Two mods that perfect the multiplayer experience.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
The single-player fan made levels for Half-Life 1. There were levels that were as good as Valve's, and the sheer amount of content kept me busy for months on end. One of the things that really sucks about modern gaming is that quality fan made content just isn't there anymore in the quantity it once was.

Ditto, for the Thief 1 and 2 fan missions.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BG2 flirt pack:

SoAflirts.jpg

dfgsdfs.jpg

Natehair.jpg

admirenate.jpg

Nategag.jpg

dfsdfsdf.jpg

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Unblocking this content is very simple. You need to be a registered member of this site and logged in. "

Cassidy

Arcane
Several favorites.

The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex
Thief2X: Shadows of the Metal Age
Xidia Gold, Seven Bullets and Project Xenome SP mappacks for Unreal Tournament.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Improved Anvil

Sikret said:
Baronius said:
I see that some trolls are dying (starving) to find some opportunity to attack me even when the topic has no connection with me.
Yes, and Improved Anvil is bugging them, a spike in their flesh. They call you ignorant and often criticize Improved Anvil, but I bet they would sell their own mother if they could become known as an author of a mod such as Improved Anvil! :lol:

In principle, they could have made mods with Improved Anvil's quality if they knew what was required for that and if they wanted to follow the requirements. The reason behind Improved Anvil's quality is not that I'm a genius (simply because I'm not a genius). The reasons for IA's quality are relatively easy to explain:

Other mods are typically created in creators' leisure time and mostly for fun; whereas, Improved Anvil is a professional work made by people who do it as a dedicated job. We (testers and myself) have spent countless hours working on this mod; we test, we sit and think and discuss every tiny aspect of the mod with each other, we implement changes and test again, and we repeat the same process for every feature of the mod several times. We don't wait for some random leisure time to work on the mod; the mod is part of our daily work (see the difference?). If those people who have a grudge against IA had understood these differences, they would have known that the reason they have not reached the same level of quality is simply that they have not invested the same time, dedication and effort. It's simple math.

In fact, here we see two completely different fields of work; they work in their leisure time, without proper testing and adequate dedication and mostly for fun (amateur work); we work on regular daily basis with full dedication and even spend money on the work (professional work). These are two completely different fields; there is no real competition going on if you ask me (just if both sides understand and admit the major differences I just explained). When they understand that we are not competing each other, they will hopefully stop attacking us (they will probably still continue stealing parts of our work, but we will also probably let it pass :) ).
http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.p ... entry44458

mondblut

Arcane
Animated prostitution for Failure 3. Better than original game for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom