Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Fester Mudd: The Curse of the Sex Offender (50% off)

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Imagine Freddy Pharkas, if it were made by LucasArts in 1989. Imagine Monkey Island, only less clever. Imagine: a game without anybody -- anybody -- to tell Josh Mandel to cut back on the fart jokes.

Haven't you ever wondered what would have happened if you could take Freddy Pharkas, remove Al Lowe's "lesbians eat out a lot" shit, stick it into a 1990 LucasArts cookie mold and get pure Josh Mandel magic? Yes, and that always sounded amazing, said one of you. Or it might have been my echo. Yes, that sounds like it might involve farting, said another. Possibly also me.

794_4.jpg

I couldn't come up with a single post on the entire site about this game. But dammit, It Is Good.

It has a massive inventory. It has lots of items. It has verbs out the ass. Lots of ass in this game. It has more stolen jokes than you can count. And yes, it even has puzzles.

pre_1363545382__humour.jpg

Almost every joke, every puzzle, every character, every scene will make you stop and think: haven't I seen something like this... before? Every second screams nosalgia, and after 3600 seconds in, you'll really start to feel like the game is already over, because it is. But you'll also start to feel like you're playing one of the classics -- an overlooked LucasArts game made by some unfortunate forgotten short guy in the corner, his cowlick sticking up in the valley created between Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer's guts. Yes, in the valley: this is like LucasArts's Gold Rush, like the kind of classic you didn't even know your favourite company had made. The reason it feels so familiar and so damn authentic is that, for the most part, every little stinking (lol) bit of it is something you have actually played in another game already. But God it feels so good.

desura4.jpg

It's no Heroine's Quest or Wadjet Eye game, but those are too serious for their own good anyway. The only drawback is that it needs more music. The sick midi track you hear in the Steam video is so sick it's the only song in the game. It beat all the other songs into submission so they didn't dare even leave their little one-screen interiors. Yeah, there are other songs too, but there needs to be a bit more music. A couple of good tracks are wasted on rooms you'll literally only be in for a minute or so. Also, in a really bizarre decision, too many scenes have either no music or just the sound of a wind blowing over a desolate plain. This includes, unfortunately, the start menu. I have no idea why they thought that would be a good idea, and it really jars with the general atmosphere of the game. "Welcome to a funny game! It'll make you feel like your heart is as empty and barren as this wasteland!"

83965514.jpg%3F800

Other flaws include the fact that the game is published by a sex offender. Ok, ok, Replay Games i.e. Paul Trowe is bad for the world and we all want him to wind up sucking hairy Larrys in an alleyway while reflecting with sincere remorse on the mean person that he is. But all the dumbass did was publish the game. It was designed, instead, by Paavo Härkönen, who despite being a bro has 26 followers on Twitter. It was codesigned by Josh Mandel, who I thought everybody liked, but apparently not. Josh Mandel designed Freddy Pharkas, Space Quest 6, and Callahan's Crosstime Salloon, in addition to being the voice of King Graham (and acted as Leon the Coroner in Police Quest 3, TMYK), in addition to -- and I did not know this -- writing for Jagged Alliance 2.

Literally one of my favourite vidya game people. And I don't care how many little girls his publisher showed amateur gay blowjob vids to, he will go on being one of my favourite vidya game people.

X-20130403141944817.jpg

Anyway, the game is, for the next 24 hours only, 50% off at Indie Royale for $5: http://www.indiegamebundles.com/daily-royale-fester-mudd-curse-of-the-gold-episode-1/ . I know I made it seem in the title like only sex offenders get 50% off, but you guys can still do lots of cool things like run for office and be catty on Twitter.

Otherwise: http://store.steampowered.com/app/253310/

TLDR: 7/10
"Better than Primordia."

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's currently part of a 1 dollar bundle:

https://www.indiegala.com/august

Sadly the future of this game seems uncertain:

I asked the developer Paavo Härkönen about upcoming episodes when he was in the Double Fine Game Club[double-fine-game-club.github.io] in January. His reply was "Unfortunately, the sales of the first episode were not as good as we hoped, so things are looking... somewhat uncertain at the moment. It's a matter of funding. But I certainly haven't given up hope yet."
http://steamcommunity.com/app/253310/discussions/0/648812916808397736/

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
:hmmm:

How the fuck did I not know about this?

This is what you get when you stare into Double Hipster's mouth instead of looking for the properly good shit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unfortunately, Josh Mandel (who worked on the 1st episode of Fester Mudd and is also one of the best writers in the industry) has since left the company, so chances for the 2nd episode to be up to par, or to be released or any good at all, are looking pretty slim.

A good example of why episodic games suck, btw.

trustno1code

Prophet
Unfortunately, Josh Mandel (who worked on the 1st episode of Fester Mudd and is also one of the best writers in the industry) has since left the company, so chances for the 2nd episode to be up to par, or to be released or any good at all, are looking pretty slim.
Josh mostly helped in polishing up the script though; the dev, Paavo Härkönen apparently came to Replay with the game finished. They ported it to Unity, while:
Josh Mandel said:
Since I was technically the "Creative Director" at Replay, I saw some areas where I thought, "You could put some extra jokes in here " or "Here's a good place for more responses," so I asked Paavo if he'd be okay with some discussion of that. He was totally open to everything I had to say, and we worked through some of that. ...
Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time since I was serving as primary producer, director, designer, and writer on LSLR.

Also, the rights to the game are with Paavo now, fortunately he's not tied to Replay either anymore. They seemed on good terms with Josh on that Double Fine Game Club chat thing, so I'd guess they could reunite, if they ever manage to find the dough.

(07:07:05) flesk: How are things looking for a second episode?
(07:09:50) Paavo_Harkonen: flesk: Unfortunately, the sales of the first episode were not as good as we hoped, so things are looking… somewhat uncertain at the moment. It’s a matter of funding. But I certainly haven’t given up hope yet.
(08:11:00) yama: Paavo_Harkonen, Is there any way the second episode will be made from the continuous sales of the game or must you get big funding for it as one sum?
(08:13:01) Paavo_Harkonen: It’s clear that the money we get from the sales won’t cover the costs (unless the sales suddenly sky rocket for some unexpected reason), so we would need a separate funding on top of that.

(07:11:18) flesk: Paavo_Harkonen: Sorry to hear that. Is the licence somehow tied up with Replay Games or are you free to pitch the game to other potential developers or self-fund future episodes?
(07:14:01) Paavo_Harkonen: flesk: We (as in Prank Ltd) own the license for Fester Mudd, so we’re not tied up with Replay Games concerning the future episodes.

(07:25:51) Cheeseness: How many episodes were planned originally?
(07:31:01) Paavo_Harkonen: Cheeseness: The plan was/is to make three episodes.

(08:13:18) Cheeseness: Would you consider crowdfunding?
(08:15:24) Paavo_Harkonen: Yes, we’ve considered crowd funding, of course. But the fact that our company is based in Finland makes things a bit complicated. If we were to use Kickstarter, for example, we would need an American company to act as a middle hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom