Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF7 Enhanced Edition coming to Steam?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SFYXT.png
(why isn't this an emoticon?)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/21/leak-reveals-final-fantasy-7-coming-back-to-pc-with-achievemen/

Leak reveals Final Fantasy 7 coming (back) to PC with achievements

by JC Fletcher on Jun 21st 2012 10:30AM

A Google cache of the site finalfantasyviipc.com shows evidence of a plan for an updated PC release, with achievements, cloud saves (appropriate!) and a "character booster" that lets players increase HP, MP, and money "with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure." Final Fantasy VII first came to PC on disc in 1998.

A whois search of that domain reveals it to be owned by Square Enix – registered, in fact, under CEO Yoichi Wada's name.

Square Enix hasn't officially announced the new version yet, so we don't know when this is due, but the cached page prices it at £7.99 / €9.99 (about $12.50).

lightbane

Arcane
Assuming that's true, the rage and the butthurt of the legions of fantards that waited years for an HD release for their consoles will be glorious...

aris

Arcane
Inbefore the butthurt of jrpg-haters!

MASSIVE incline! If it is true, then maybe I will finally get to play the game, because the current pc version does not work for shit. One can dream about a better port too, which actually works ok with mouse and keyboard.

Angthoron

Arcane
Huh. Might even try this out and see what all the hype back then was about.

The Horse might have to replay it, too! We want HD pix and not pixellated mess!

:M

aris

Arcane
I have a feeling that it is overrated, like zelda ocarina of time, and that most of the love comes it being the first 3D FF game, though will be interesting to try.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Inbefore the butthurt of jrpg-haters!

MASSIVE incline! If it is true, then maybe I will finally get to play the game, because the current pc version does not work for shit. One can dream about a better port too, which actually works ok with mouse and keyboard.

1. Try an emulator, it works perfectly on ePSXe.

2. You're not missing out on anything. If the game were released today with the same plot it'd be hailed as even more retarded than the latest (non-fanservice oriented) jRPGs.

aris

Arcane
Yeah. THought as much, might as well give it a try though, it's not like it's going to be any worse than wasteland 2 anyway, which is a fan-service game :troll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
FF7 may be overrated, but it's also genuinely pretty good. Especially the first part of the game before you leave Midgar. The story is surprisingly dark and Lovecraftian in a cyberpunk setting.

Themadcow

Augur
Over-rated depends on the context - it was certainly one of the greatest JRPG's when it came out, and I still enjoyed it recently again on PSP (but didn't think it suited the small screen as well as Suikoden did) so a HD PC version would certainly float my boat. The funfair part of the game, along with the ending and post-game boss fights are some of my most fond memories in RPGing.

aris

Arcane
Tried it, still not working :( I still have them same problem with black screen in the beginning. IN the PC version, I get the menu up, but when I press new game, the screen just turns black agian. I have a feeling it's an encoding problem with the intro movie, but I've been to lazy to sit and watch more than 2 minutes of black screen. On the emulator, I can't even get to the menu screen.

*edit* Yay! Turned out I fucked up, working now, something wrong with the sound though, hope I can figure it out. Damn, that FF music, gives me nostalgia. THem Japs sure know how to make sugar sweet melodies.

After a certain point you're left with a couple hints where to go, an airship and a (relatively) wide open map with obvious and not so obvious locations to visit. To a twelve year old kid with no computer who had to rely on console games for a fix, that dose of non-linearity blew my mind.

Yes I know Chrono Trigger and one or two FFs did it years before, but I came down on the Genesis side of the equation. Closest thing I'd played before then was their version of Shadowrun.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tried it, still not working :( I still have them same problem with black screen in the beginning. IN the PC version, I get the menu up, but when I press new game, the screen just turns black agian. I have a feeling it's an encoding problem with the intro movie, but I've been to lazy to sit and watch more than 2 minutes of black screen. On the emulator, I can't even get to the menu screen.

*edit* Yay! Turned out I fucked up, working now, something wrong with the sound though, hope I can figure it out. Damn, that FF music, gives me nostalgia. THem Japs sure know how to make sugar sweet melodies.

Usually it's just some plugin issues, easily fixable if you use the right settings. There's plenty of setup guides for FF7 emulation floating around the net, due to its popularity.

aris

Arcane
Yep, for me, it was just a matter of changing the sound plugin! Thanks for the heads up about working emulators!

aris

Arcane
Do you feel intimidated by seeing such a large sword?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, Ian shoots her in the back. You can prevent it by leveling her up to 99 though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This does indeed cause me butthurt, but not because I wanted a new console release. This is both the most overrated and most well known jrpg in existence, which gives the whole genre a bad rep. It's not /bad/ as jrpgs go, it's decidedly average. But having a billion people running around saying this average game was the best thing ever makes shit games and good games alike also seem average to people that haven't played them. This game also represented the turning point for the series (and genre in general) where scope and complexity began to be sacrificed for moar graphics. Though the materia system was genuinely pretty cool, the lack of equipment, challenge, and shit that was fun to explore (there were a lot of hidden things, they were just boring as fuck to find) was not. I wish this game would die in a fire.

aris

Arcane
This does indeed cause me butthurt, but not because I wanted a new console release. This is both the most overrated and most well known jrpg in existence, which gives the whole genre a bad rep. It's not /bad/ as jrpgs go, it's decidedly average. But having a billion people running around saying this average game was the best thing ever makes shit games and good games alike also seem average to people that haven't played them. This game also represented the turning point for the series (and genre in general) where scope and complexity began to be sacrificed for moar graphics. Though the materia system was genuinely pretty cool, the lack of equipment, challenge, and shit that was fun to explore (there were a lot of hidden things, they were just boring as fuck to find) was not. I wish this game would die in a fire.
Do you have any recommendations on good jrpgs? I haven't played many.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
SaGa Frontier is my favourite I always bring up.

Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, and Chrono Trigger all rank pretty highly with me as well.

Oh, and Lufia 2. None of these are very difficult, but they're fun to explore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom