Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fifa 17 - now an RPG with a story mode

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Tytus

Arcane
It's EA, everything is going to be on Frostbite. Just you wait and you'll see another Bejeweled and Peggle on Frostbite in a couple of years.

Tytus

Arcane
It's EA, everything is going to be on Frostbite. Just you wait and you'll see another Bejeweled and Peggle on Frostbite in a couple of years.

Frostbite is made by Dice

But it's owned by EA. That is why you had Dragon Age Inquisition on Frostbite. That is why Mass Effect Andromeda is on Frostbite. That is why Mirror's Edge Catalyst is on Frostbite. And that is why new Fifa is on Frostbite. Educate yourself shitlord.

Not to mention that Garden Warfare is on Frostbite too, and it's made by Popcap, guys that made peggle and bejeweled so that further enforces my point.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

But it's owned by EA. That is why you had Dragon Age Inquisition on Frostbite. That is why Mass Effect Andromeda is on Frostbite. That is why Mirror's Edge Catalyst is on Frostbite. And that is why new Fifa is on Frostbite. Educate yourself shitlord.

so what? i know that, frostbite is a good engine.

Tytus

Arcane

so what? i know that, frostbite is a good engine.

It's good for shooters and that's about it. It's not versatile. I still remember Mike Laidlaw from Bioware complaining about working with Frostbite for Dragon Age Inquisition. The engine didn't have support for big areas, didn't have support for rpg components (like scripted events, spawn points etc.) so they had to waste (I don't remember exact number now) a several thousands of man-hours just to make it suitable for the game. Which took a bite out of their budget and time to deliver the game. Criterion Games had similar problems when they had to turn Need for Speed Rivals into a Frostbite powered game.

Not to mention using Frostbite for everything kills variety. Everything starts looking the same. Bland and boring. But that actually fits EA very well and saves them a lot of money for sure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to mention using Frostbite for everything kills variety. Everything starts looking the same. Bland and boring. But that actually fits EA very well and saves them a lot of money for sure.
This is not the engine's fault, but the fault of the artists who don't make distinct and varied areas with uniqe textures and a unique style. The engine is just the framework.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's shown on the trailer, but the game mode also includes a dialogue wheel™.

They should've aborted this shitty idea at conception and instead put more effort on the Player Career mode, which is still awfully undeveloped.

zeitgeist

Magister
Weren't various sports games already very stat-heavy and with career modes where you can pretty much roleplay a character or multiple characters throughout their entire professional life? I haven't actually played any, but I remember people comparing them with actual modern "RPGs" in discussions about complexity and how players nowadays supposedly can't handle stat numbers etc.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Weren't various sports games already very stat-heavy and with career modes where you can pretty much roleplay a character or multiple characters throughout their entire professional life? I haven't actually played any, but I remember people comparing them with actual modern "RPGs" in discussions about complexity and how players nowadays supposedly can't handle stat numbers etc.

Yes sports games of today got more stats and depth than most of todays rpgs.

just look at player stats in pes 2016

Player-Levels.jpg

Got bored and left

Weren't various sports games already very stat-heavy

ONE STAT SHEET TO RULE THEM ALL
972377d1446684090-football-manager-2016-wonderkids-screen-shot-2015-11-04-7.39.03-pm.png

As far as "story-driven" career modes in games such as FIFA and NBA 2k are concerned, they tend to be kinda cringeworthy, with pointless, try-hard, zero to hero storylines detracting from gameplay (I remeber one recent 2k installment had STORY MODE DIRECTED BY SPIKE LEE! as a selling point, eh). Give me a straight, plain career mode without a storyline tacked on, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
In terms of stats Football Manager easily trumps any computer RPG, but in all honesty it's probably closer to a grand strategy game than an RPG. FIFA, PES, the NBA 2k series etc. do have game modes like you described, although not all of them have that much depth aside from developing your character and occasionally joining another club.

But yeah, fans of sports games aren't afraid of stats or spreadsheets, they embrace them. It's a rare genre in the sense that it has actually got more complex and challenging throughout the years (although very slowly, as especially EA just keep on tacking on new, easily marketable features on top of the old ones in their games), and getting into something like Football Manager requires quite a bit of time and effort since it's gone way beyond the "choose the best players and tactics" approach of the earliest versions.

i hate modern football games.
i've been a footballer with an extremely bright career prospect (until i've been crippled out of envy) and to me it was easier to do real stuff than to replicate it in a videogame. "to make a short pass press square, circle, trapezoid, hold your breath while chanting your national anthem and do a backflip". are you fucking serious?
that's why they need to go back to their kick off/sensible soccers roots. (sensible soccer which also had better routines to choose who to pass the ball to and how to do it, but this is another story)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom