Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform - shut down, RIP

Ninjerk

Arcane
What a boring interview! Like I care about this suspicious as fuck equity based shit or want to hear how many million dollars that other Star Scammer Chris Roberts managed to screw naive people off (US$ 30 from me). Who cares about iOS unless money grubbing hacks? Lost respect.

Just tried reading the bits for info on PoE, but nothing NOTHING new or interesting.

Show have gone the tl;dr direction and saved myself of the trouble.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the Codex could somehow collectively incorporate as an "accredited investor" and still get the same kind of deals we've had before for our fundraisers, we could essentially offer our users "free" games. Donate to the Codex fundraiser for a particular game and get your money back N years later, with the Codex raking in the interest. :philosoraptor:

In before jew jokes.

Wait a minute... http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...adds_investing_to_video_game_crowdfunding.php

The most notable thing about Fig, however, might be that it offers equity crowdfunding -- its model is to "always have investment available," says Bailey. (Gambitious has also explored the complicated equity crowdfunding space.)

The lead investor in each project will negotiate the terms of the investment -- which will then be passed on to the investors who sign up on Fig and follow suit. Minimum investments will be high -- in the thousands of dollars -- particularly in the initial projects, but Bailey foresees a future where fans set up trusts to invest in games collectively.

:takemyjewgold:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The most notable thing about Fig, however, might be that it offers equity crowdfunding -- its model is to "always have investment available," says Bailey. (Gambitious has also explored the complicated equity crowdfunding space.)

The lead investor in each project will negotiate the terms of the investment -- which will then be passed on to the investors who sign up on Fig and follow suit. Minimum investments will be high -- in the thousands of dollars -- particularly in the initial projects, but Bailey foresees a future where fans set up trusts to invest in games collectively.

My Hebrew is a little rusty.. what does it mean?!

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
It means RPG Codex mutual fund. Incline your portfolios with investment in all the best turn based, text heavy RPGs. Portofolios may decline as well as incline. Past Fallouts are not guarantees of future Arcanums.

khafrepyramid.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So it's basically a VC company with some pleb donators reducing the risk for their millionaire friends accredited investors? Normal people pay and the 1% reap all the eventual profits – sounds like real life.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
This is the end of The Age of Incline, was fun while it lasted. I can't believe they teamed up with Schafer and the Indiecade/Indiefund, if Obsidian and Fargo would have any sense they should know that A) they are shady as hell and B) Schafer's reputation is in the mud.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the end of The Age of Incline, was fun while it lasted. I can't believe they teamed up with Schafer and the Indiecade/Indiefund, if Obsidian and Fargo would have any sense they should know that A) they are shady as hell and B) Schafer's reputation is in the mud.
Hahahahaha. People are sure tryhard on the Codex. Also Stuid. This has nothing, NOTHING to do with incline or decline, because 1) indie devs can still and will use kickstarter for their indie games and 2) Schafer's reputation has nothing to do with the success of this platform. Schafer is not pitching his own games, people will decide if they invest or not based on the pitches made by other studios.

Guys, please don't act like a retard. Hate on Tim, on Double Fine as much as you want, but use your tiny brains a little and don't make up theories which make no sense.

If this platform will be successfull, it will be good for everyone, and if it fails, it won't matter more than the failure of a few KS projects. Because there were failed kickstarters, yet KS is still doing okay.

Chamezero

you are literally and actually the biggest faggot that has ever lived in this galaxy

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Hahahahaha. People are sure tryhard on the Codex. Also Stuid. This has nothing, NOTHING to do with incline or decline, because 1) indie devs can still and will use kickstarter for their indie games and 2) Schafer's reputation has nothing to do with the success of this platform. Schafer is not pitching his own games, people will decide if they invest or not based on the pitches made by other studios.

It can affect the success if enough people won't put money into the campaigns knowing that Schafer and Indiecade/-fund are involved...I'm not tryhard, I'm just shitposting you cuck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
.I'm not tryhard, I'm just shitposting you cuck.
Oh, in this case I'm sorry.
It can affect the success if enough people won't put money into the campaigns knowing that Schafer and Indiecade/-fund are involved
There are no masses of people outside of the Codex who are butthurt about Tim. People here think that the Codex's opinion = mainstream opninion, but this is not the case.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Oh, in this case I'm sorry.

There are no masses of people outside of the Codex who are butthurt about Tim. People here think that the Codex's opinion = mainstream opninion, but this is not the case.

There are plenty of people outside rpgcodex who are butthurt about him and Broken Age, and do you work for him, or do you just cuck for him for free?

DeepOcean

Arcane
About the Equity part, I think it will hardly make a significant difference to crowdfunding for them to make AAA games any time soon but it will make those 10000 pledges more common as on a game selling like 400.000 copies, taking your 10000 money back is possible, this is more like some method for allowing loaning from investors that are already sympathetic towards kickstarter but aren't willing to throw 10000 hard earned dollars with no payback on videogames.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
About the Equity part, I think it will hardly make a significant difference to crowdfunding for them to make AAA games any time soon but it will make those 10000 pledges more common as on a game selling like 400.000 copies, taking your 10000 money back is possible, this is more like some method for allowing loaning from investors that are already sympathetic towards kickstarter but aren't willing to throw 10000 hard earned dollars with no payback on videogames.

Maybe not *right away*, but I'm reasonably sure they want to make these iii games ASAP. Wasteland could be fairly easily transformed into a New Vegas style of game, for example.

Note Fallout games sell 10,000,000+ copies and Elder Scrolls sell 20,000,000+ copies. If a Wasteland game in the style of New Vegas sold only 2,000,000 copies for 50-60$ a piece and cost 10-20,000,000 to make, you still made 5-10x as much in revenue.

And therefore a $5,000 investment could become a

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe not *right away*, but I'm reasonably sure they want to make these iii games ASAP. Wasteland could be fairly easily transformed into a New Vegas style of game, for example.

Note Fallout games sell 10,000,000+ copies and Elder Scrolls sell 20,000,000+ copies. If a Wasteland game in the style of New Vegas sold only 2,000,000 copies and cost 10-20,000,000 to make, you still made 5-10x as much in revenue.

"III" isn't "AAA".

If we're talking about inXile and Obsidian, I think the first thing they'll want to do is reach a Larian level of success with one million sales. Then they can start thinking about New Vegases and Elder Scrollses.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still can't get over how stupid of a term "III" is.

It means RPG Codex mutual fund. Incline your portfolios with investment in all the best turn based, text heavy RPGs. Portofolios may decline as well as incline. Past Fallouts are not guarantees of future Arcanums.

Haha, I wonder if we can raise enough to get onto one of those investor tiers for a future Obsidian game (and what that would mean in practice). That would be amusing, if nothing else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom