Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I ended to try this game I was skeptical and I had not big expectations. I was wrong the game is actually great probably the best MMO on the market right now.

Strong disagree. FF14 is a decent JRPG (albeit hamstrung by being an MMO), but the actual MMO side of FF14 is extremely lacking. Once you've beaten the story and reach endgame, there is very little to do.

• You can raid, but the latest raid tier is only four bosses. To FF14's credit, though, you can run old raids while synced, but years of powercreep and job rebalancing will still have damaged the difficulty of older raids.
  • You can do PvP, but the 72 man Frontline isn't competitive. The MOBA mode, Rival Wings, is dead and people only do it via organized discords on Saturdays. The 5v5 Crystalline Conflict is okay but inferior to playing 5v5 in GW2, and there isn't much in the way of meaningful rewards. CC isn't fun enough to do over and over for its own merits.
  • You can supposedly indulge in player housing, but it is practically impossible unless you already acquired a house prior to mid 2019 when FF14 blew up in popularity.
  • Otherwise, you're looking into an abyss of grinding. Grinding up jobs for hundreds of hours to level 90 for... what? So you can see their okay stories? Not worth it. Being habituated into doing daily chores for beast tribes? Their stories are crap and maybe only a few of the rewards will appeal to you. Spending hundreds of hours on the two Timeless Isle-esque grind zones, Eureka and Bozja? Again once you've gotten the rewards you want there is no reason to keep doing it. Relic weapon grinds?
  • You could try leveling up your crafters, but that takes millions of gil, and for what? To make money and housing items for a house you cannot acquire? There are players who have hundreds of millions of gil but they have nothing to spend it on.
So that just leaves hanging out at host clubs or internet brothels and playing FF14 as if it was Second Life.

I do like logging into dabble in Gold Saucer minigames now and then. Wish that they would add more. Also, more jumping puzzles and race tracks too.

As a game that is supposedly an MMO, FF14 is very antisocial. 75% of your playtime has to be done by yourself. Running to the next NPC to read their dialogue or watch a cutscene isn't a cooperative experience. Doing a solo duty isn't a cooperative experience. Before endgame, the only time you get to play with other people is when you do a 15 minute easy mode dungeon that requires no coordination. People greet each other at the beginning and that's it.
  • You can raid, but the latest raid tier is only four bosses. To FF14's credit, though, you can run old raids while synced, but years of powercreep and job rebalancing will still have damaged the difficulty of older raids.
There are different difficoulties for dungeons and Raids. Old gear obtained in old raid can be converted to be good on par with the newest raids.

• You can do PvP, but the 72 man Frontline isn't competitive. The MOBA mode, Rival Wings, is dead and people only do it via organized discords on Saturdays. The 5v5 Crystalline Conflict is okay but inferior to playing 5v5 in GW2, and there isn't much in the way of meaningful rewards. CC isn't fun enough to do over and over for its own merits.
Pvp was always not very centric. Nor a priority in 14

• You can supposedly indulge in player housing, but it is practically impossible unless you already acquired a house prior to mid 2019 when FF14 blew up in popularity.
If you are in a guild you can buy a room on it and decore it. Of quite considerable size. There are also apartments. Standalone homes are the hardest to find. Now you can build from scratch a your personal settlement in a island. That is more a stardew valleish game mode for who has ended endwalker.

• You could try leveling up your crafters, but that takes millions of gil, and for what? To make money and housing items for a house you cannot acquire? There are players who have hundreds of millions of gil but they have nothing to spend it on.

• Absolutely wrong. You don't have only access of furnishing but you can also hunt for special cosmetic to make your glam with. Aside of that mounts, minion and other things can be acquired from the marketplace as well.
FF14 has way more features than wow. The only inferior part of it is on the PVP side. There was not even a great focus on it. The antisocial part you talk about I can agree but only in mechanic the community is a community of creator-friendly and open there are also tools that help a lot to build connections.
Aside FC.
You have fellowship: That adds a lot of users to open a shared channel you con join with solo people and people on a FC.

The economy in the game is player driven and in a good way. You can make gil very well by opening your eyes in pricing and such. And if you are a crafter is most likely you will triple the money you spend to attempt a craft.

Codex Year of the Donut
it's a shit late-era WoW clone, which is the worst possible WoW clone. All of the classes except for blue mage are absolutely terrible because "MUH BALANSE!!!!" Added bonus of having one of the ABSOLUTE WORST communities in any MMO ever.
"nooo you didn't play it long enough to get to the good part!"

image.png

fuck off, it's shit
I'd say this game is as much of an "RPG" as the typical EA game with tacked on leveling mechanics tbh.
Can't really recommend it honestly unless you're looking for a popamole themepark MMO resembling late-era WoW with all the decline that implies(e.g., no real character customization, attributes/stats dead simple, races that don't matter, etc.,) Alternatively, good game to play if you're looking for an easy way to get repetitive wrist strain injury or really enjoy playing "stay out of the colored areas on the ground"
Yes, it's very polished, and the crafting system is unique and good. But it's not enough to carry the game.

I already know the ffxivtards will come running and screaming about how "you haven't played it for 1500 hours yet! you can't judge it!", yea well, play with deez nutz for 1500 hours you fucking weebs.

[edit]
and one area it really failed at despite being story-heavy is that all of your choices mean absolutely nothing. Just pick random choices, they all have the same exact result. You're being railroaded the entire time, grab some popcorn.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

it's a shit late-era WoW clone, which is the worst possible WoW clone. All of the classes except for blue mage are absolutely terrible because "MUH BALANSE!!!!" Added bonus of having one of the ABSOLUTE WORST communities in any MMO ever.
"nooo you didn't play it long enough to get to the good part!"

image.png

fuck off, it's shit
I'd say this game is as much of an "RPG" as the typical EA game with tacked on leveling mechanics tbh.
Can't really recommend it honestly unless you're looking for a popamole themepark MMO resembling late-era WoW with all the decline that implies(e.g., no real character customization, attributes/stats dead simple, races that don't matter, etc.,) Alternatively, good game to play if you're looking for an easy way to get repetitive wrist strain injury or really enjoy playing "stay out of the colored areas on the ground"
Yes, it's very polished, and the crafting system is unique and good. But it's not enough to carry the game.

I already know the ffxivtards will come running and screaming about how "you haven't played it for 1500 hours yet! you can't judge it!", yea well, play with deez nutz for 1500 hours you fucking weebs.

[edit]
and one area it really failed at despite being story-heavy is that all of your choices mean absolutely nothing. Just pick random choices, they all have the same exact result. You're being railroaded the entire time, grab some popcorn.
Wow clone...> Has plenty more features of wow.

I can see what you are telling tho. Frankly, mmos with stat customizations at that level of depth are not made anymore for the sake of balance. Especially PVP centered ones where crybaby says everything is unbalanced till they start losing hard.

ADL

Prophet
"It gets good in 200 hours when you hit Heavensward/Stormblood"
Well I spent 200 hours on this shit and it didn't. It's a Final Fantasy game first MMO second and that basically means aside from eRP, idling with a glamour you spent many hours perfecting to ~~~show off your cute character^_^~~~, dungeons and raids, you'll have nothing to do between MSQ releases.

Paying a monthly subscription for what is primarily treated as a single player Final Fantasy campaign is not something I'm interested in. It also has the absolute worst community I've ever seen in a video game and arguably the internet as a whole. Go look up their clientside modding policy. Taking screenshots or streaming your game to a group of friends with a dark mode UI skin which gets rid of the HUD bars' rounded corners and turns them into squares? Hope none of them report you because Square Enix will ban you over their "don't show don't tell" policy and this shit ass community will defend it because muh terms of service.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

"It gets good in 200 hours when you hit Heavensward/Stormblood"
Well I spent 200 hours on this shit and it didn't. It's a Final Fantasy game first MMO second and that basically means aside from eRP, idling with a glamour you spent many hours perfecting to ~~~show off your cute character^_^~~~, dungeons and raids, you'll have nothing to do between MSQ releases.

Paying a monthly subscription for what is primarily treated as a single player Final Fantasy campaign is not something I'm interested in. It also has the absolute worst community I've ever seen in a video game and arguably the internet as a whole. Go look up their clientside modding policy. Taking screenshots or streaming your game to a group of friends with a dark mode UI skin which gets rid of the HUD bars' rounded corners and turns them into squares? Hope none of them report you because Square Enix will ban you over their "don't show don't tell" policy and this shit ass community will defend it because muh terms of service.
And yet every expansion add at least a lot of hour of stories and campaign to me dosn't seem a bad deal. We have games that costs a lot and only last for 20h.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

This game is truly something i had not much fun in a mmo from ages. Approaching the crafting now is amazing how crafting jobs intertwine and how the economy works.

2022-10-07_19-30-07-925_Mebrilia_2.png

That's my char.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom