Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forums are up...

Pineapple Joe

Novice
Goddamn, DU, participate in the private conversation (yeah wtf).

hiver

Is it possible to set up ignore function in the way that when I ignore some turd - he looses the ability to see my posts and threads?
I think it would be only fair.
Of course i dont mean it to be like that only for me but for everyone.

hiver

And i amaze dicksmoker again....
Well, lets just leave him flabbergasted. because i dont want to get into his wows at all.

Im seriously asking.
Frankly, i dont see what would be really problematic there, in personal ways.
For example, if i would put dicksmoker on ignore now, he wouldnt see my posts either and so would be much less flabbergasted and disturbed.
It would be good for both of us. Its a win - win situation.

Of course some will complain about it in the usual inane ways with same unrealistic vapid arguments they always use when they complain about ignoring, so thats not relevant in any real way.
Fuck em.

Also, as additional argument, i dont see why someone i consider a turd and so moronic that i dont consider his words or opinions even worth seeing, would continue to enjoy my good posts.
AND... just thinking about it, it seems to me that in this way bad posters would receive a much stronger and more efficient feedback on their crap levels and general worth.
Which would also be good for the overall quality level of the whole forums, am i right or am i right?

Majestic47

Learned
Hiver, what you're asking is a consensual ignore on both sides, initiated by just one side. Do you see the problem here in terms of forum technicality?
What if that person wants to read your post? You have no right of hiding your post from him in the Codex.

hiver

No im not. There is nothing consensual in me ignoring someone but he still reading my posts and even replying without my consent.
Get it?
There is nothing consensual either way so that cannot be an argument. At all.

And, persons would like me to read their posts even after i ignore them so... fuck em?
Best way to achieve that is not to be a retard, turd and moron, am i right or am i right?

+ I have every fucking right.
I just dont have the possibility.

It probably isnt even possible, i sure dont know, but i would like to find out.
And the idea actually has merrit, when those butthurt arguments are discarded.
Of course DU can just say "No, i wont do stuff that way" but thats his prerogative and that entirely different matter.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What does that accomplish outside of the minor inconvenience of reading the forum as a guest until you want to make a post?

hiver

Good question.

Minor inconvenience is better than none. That and the fact that very few will want to log out every few minutes, or half hour or whatever, and that once you log in you dont see shit again.
And there could be many posts by many different users, all updating and stuff. Wouldnt work unless you want to log in and out constantly.
And you cant see GD as a guest.

And if you would answer to posts of someone ignoring you like that - it would seem pathetic, would it not?

Majestic47

Learned
Um Skitts, I know what he wants, but in terms of forum technicality, it just doesn't work like that. Content view control should lie with the viewer, not with the content generator.

You brought up GD forum registration requirement, but it's a forum rule. Not a user to user example.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
@RK47: I'm not sure how I came off, but I was looking for the benefit of mutual ignorance so that a different solution might be suggested.

@hiver: Discussions here get derailed by people not knowing what the hell's going on in threads often enough that I worry about more general chaos and inanity of the bad sort if half the posters didn't know if one another existed. Can't you just make every one of your posts or your sig personally offensive to the posters you ignore in the hopes that they'd ignore you back? I think it'd be much more entertaining for bystanders.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Astounding. Achievements on the forum not unlike our revered steam and xbox achievements. We're truly the object and premise of Codex criticism.

Better all around. I like the new features, though I miss the option to search my own posts and list by threads. Page navigation bar is great, and I'd put even more page numbers in there. Loading times are no worse than before. Style is not too much web 2.0. Thanks for the hard work DU!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
No im not. There is nothing consensual in me ignoring someone but he still reading my posts and even replying without my consent.
:retarded:
Consent? What is this bullshit? That's a privilege you don't have on an internet forum. The whole point is that when you post something it's available for all to read, and you "consent" to that at least implicitly when you decide to post. If you're not comfortable with everyone being able to see your posts, you shouldn't be posting on an internet forum. Now you can choose to ignore someone if you want, but you have no right to force him not to be able to see your posts when you post it on a forum where the whole point is that everyone is in one large discussion. This isn't about forum technicality, it's about ethics. He may well choose to ignore you as well, but that's his choice, and he has a right to it.

Derper

Prophet
If it's shit for 42 pages I could use a compass. Or maybe in the TITS thread, can't find my way around that one either.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Jump to first new post was in phpBB too, just hidden so well that 99% of people had no idea it's there. And it didn't work properly most of the time, but hey...

I liked the old way of differentiating old/new posts: small icons to the left of the post date were both subtle and easily recognized. The current "New" tag is pretty shitty in comparison: it doesn't fit the theme; it's too big for its purpose; and most importantly, located on the far right, when all useful information starts/is clumped up on the left side of the screen (where it should).

hiver

@hiver: Discussions here get derailed by people not knowing what the hell's going on in threads often enough that I worry about more general chaos and inanity of the bad sort if half the posters didn't know if one another existed. Can't you just make every one of your posts or your sig personally offensive to the posters you ignore in the hopes that they'd ignore you back? I think it'd be much more entertaining for bystanders.
First, fuck bystanders. Im not here for bystanders amusement and neither is anyone else, unless thats some weird personal choice. Hypothetical bystanders at that.

I dont think it would cause more inanity and chaos. Really i dont see it.
But, since we are dealing with not so bright posters here often and all that ... how about a compromise of sorts?
How about ignored would have an option of clicking "show me content of person ignoring me"?

Or would you think that would make the whole matter moot and not worth the trouble in the first place. I dont.

Personally i wouldnt allow that. I figure, if someone would ignore me and i couldnt see his posts... thats his right to decide.
And let me be clear that i do wont this personally, im not pretending or lying about that, but i genuinely see positive effects for the whole.

It may certainly seem strange because it has never been done before and people do get butthurt even being ignored like it is. The point is they deserve it.
I simply think it isnt enough and that ultimately isnt exactly fair - as it is now.
The only problem i see is that some may use it intentionally without any real cause... but then again, is that any kind of loss?

:retarded:
Consent? What is this bullshit?
I have no idea dick. I said consent has nothing to do with it so youll have to explain what bullshit you came up with there.

That's a privilege you don't have on an internet forum.
blah, blah-blah, blah, blah.
You have privileges that are allowed by the owner of the forums. Thats all.

The whole point is that when you post something it's available for all to read, and you "consent" to that at least implicitly when you decide to post. If you're not comfortable with everyone being able to see your posts, you shouldn't be posting on an internet forum. Now you can choose to ignore someone if you want, but you have no right to force him not to be able to see your posts when you post it on a forum where the whole point is that everyone is in one large discussion. This isn't about forum technicality, it's about ethics. He may well choose to ignore you as well, but that's his choice, and he has a right to it.
Fuck your ethics shit. Youre preaching to me about ethics. .. phah!
Ethics has nothing to do with it.
Its just lame excuse you use because you personally would not like it. It has shit to do with any fucking ethics.
And what fucking large discussion? Are you telling me that we are all having nice and peachy group fucking discussions here?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Shut up you faggots.

Also, I'm going to keep posting in black until the text entry box is changed to something other than white because I can't see what I'm typing otherwise.

Fix plox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom