Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Deakul

Augur
Torque engine sucks.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I liked Frayed Knights quite a lot, and it's probably the best recent "true" CRPG I've played in years, but I've already written a five page article on it so I don't have much else to say. Either way, not sure why more people aren't into it. Maybe the gameplay doesn't have the same replayability or staying power than others, I don't know.

Morkar Left

I only waited till the first patch and now I'm gonna buy this thing and play at weekend. The demo convinced me that it has some finetuning issues but made me looking for more. And I don't like pure dungeonblobbers.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I dunno, I grabbed the demo but I've been on a strategy/tactical game binge instead. I definitely am gonna give it a fair chance though.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Because that's how discussions go for games that don't attract the codex trolls, retards or nerdbaiters to start bitching.

Want to know why that Magic Candle thread only got 12 replies? Ok, let's see who posted there: Skyway? Nope. 1eyedking? Nope. Volourn? R00fles! Prosper? Nope. Drog? Nope. CF? Nope. Andhaira? NOPE, CHUCK TESTA! DragoFireFag? Nope. Liberal? Nope. Andyman? Nope. Konjad? Nope. BLOBERT? BRO. None of the people who automatically cause arguments or derailments were present to artificially bloat the thread with derp and fail.

I do remember some threads with bitching about Frayed Knights' art style. Again, there weren't enough easy targets to attract the above, so everybody just came to the conclusion that there's no point discussing something that's a matter of taste and moved on.

ALSO, there's the sad reality that a large percentage of the codex is pirates. Cracks for these kinds of indie games may take longer to come out, and people may end up playing them later or forgetting about them altogether. You won't get many posts from these people either.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bought the game already. It's pretty good. Not as good as Strange Journey or Dark Spire or Labyrinth of Touhou imho, but still quite good, and worth the price.

This is a 1st person blobber. It's turnbased. It's got detailed character advancement options and lots of spells. Combat is hard.

So why aren't you all over it Codex?

Codex holy trinity: Fallout, Arcanum, Vampire something. There, answered it for ya.

Turjan

Arcane
I intend to buy it, as soon as I'm done with Arcanum. I'm playing that one for the first time at the moment. As I don't have much time for playing games, this will probably still take quite a while. So, posting in Frayed Knights threads is usually too spoilery for me at the moment.

Also, the days that I run out and buy a game as soon as it comes out are over.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Just have no money at the moment, and I don't feel much incentive to play a new game in the style of old-school games when I still have half of them to play.Definitely going to pick it up when I clear my list/get some cash though.

Agreed that this place seems to enjoy playing games they hate more than games they like, though. Suppose I was guilty of it when free time wasn't at a premium, but I don't really get it anymore. Why did people bother playing DA2 again? How many of thiose who did bought Knights of the Chalice?

ortucis

Prophet
I hate turn-based western RPGs. Then again, I HAVE played a few just for story despite hating the shitty turn-based shitcombat in the past so I will probably give the demo a try when I am done playing Driver: SF..

I HAVE followed the developer diaries throught the development though. Been interesting.

Black Cat

Magister
@ BonziBUDDY

A lot of people here do not actually care for dungeon crawlers and stuffies but for writing, choices and consequences, and LARPing. The ones participating on threads about actual dungeon crawlers are the always the same ones.

That aside, what did you actually meant by buying? That's so last season. Is there people who still does that?

captainpirate.gif

Luzur

Good Sir
just encountered a bug, kinda serious one at that too, in the demo.

somehow arianna seems to be permanently in hibernation, she got knocked down, i used the star reward you get, now she is still knocked out and no matter how much i "sleep" she wont get back.

do i need a savegame editor or should i just reinstall?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There were plenty of Frayed Knights threads, I recall posting on at least three.

Thing is, there is little to complain about the game: the art style, lulzy writing or blob combat is a matter of taste, so it won't spark too much discussion on the codex.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
@ BonziBUDDY

A lot of people here do not actually care for dungeon crawlers and stuffies but for writing, choices and consequences, and LARPing. The ones participating on threads about actual dungeon crawlers are the always the same ones.

That aside, what did you actually meant by buying? That's so last season. Is there people who still does that?

captainpirate.gif

Knights of the Chalice got a substantial amount of praise on the Codex and plenty of threads.

Breaking Axe

Educated
I've never been interested in dungeon crawlers, skipped KotC for the same reason.

How does this game compare to Grimoire?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I'm not trying to knock their game or anything, I think it's pretty cool that they made it and I'll probably end up playing it anyway, but this wink wink get-the-reference kind of humor is just not funny. Humor is something that has to be handled really delicately and games are not a good medium for it. I can think of like 3 funny games.

Morkar Left

Breaking Axe said:
I've never been interested in dungeon crawlers, skipped KotC for the same reason.

How does this game compare to Grimoire?

It's better. It's available :smug:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I haven't played Frayed Knights for long, so maybe some of the following doesn't apply. But generally I don't like blobbers.

In my opinion blob combat generally does not provide sufficient tactical depth to make me want to sit through "over 30 hours of gameplay".

I find that in blobbers I rarely need to think about my next move in combat. I really like games that make me think about a high percentage of my moves.

If thought is required in blobbers, it is generally more about building your party in a way that maximizes your power. I don't find developing a party based on guesswork (or spoilers) over 30+ hours to be particularly rewarding as far gameplay goes.

Zomg

Arbiter
I have at some point lost my acclimation to the multi-hour spans of mental emptiness required to enjoy the median blobber

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is the Codex: More people gravitate to threads they can bitch about something/crack jokes than appreciate a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom