Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Any person, in the end, will follow whatever makes sense to him or her, I guess.

That said, the principles of civil disobediance are as old as the Reichstat itself. It has always been the case that a) those who enact it should take its enactment seriously and cease it when terms have been reached - i.e. when I stop pirating music because of Spotify - and b) that civil disobediance must not harm people.

Take that for whatever you like. My core point was that if you think its generally okay to disobey the law then you must not be a fan of democracy. I am, and thus we disagree.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Charles-cgr

You have no more right to getting paid for your work than you have a right to live when pursued by a pack of really angry wolves or the right to freedom if you were born a negro in the times of slavery. It is a social convention and nothing else, the same as any laws that regulate or punish it. Most follow those thingies and some don't, live with it.

@ Villain of the story

That's only important, however, if you believe both your buying of the game will keep more such products coming and if you actually care whether or not more such products will keep coming more than you care for whatever else you could have done with such money. As we were just discussing elsewhere yesterday I do not have the kind of focused gameplay interests others in KKKodexia have: I love dungeon crawlers as much as I love art games, myst like puzzle games, bullet hell shooters, actiony MMOs, choose your own adventure melodramatic romance games for girls, and even mainstream shit with pretty graphics I will play when I'm bored and then forget about it. So regardless of whether or not this or that genre dies a horrible death or not I will still have shit to play.

While it may not be obvious, however, I do buy some games when I feel like it just as I do with music or books and movies when I feel like it. So, like, not only did I bought Folklore original when I did not even had a PS3 to play it in but later went and bought a PS3 just to play that one game. However, when I feel like it is the key element here: I do not have an obligation to buy it, nor do they have the right to expect me to do so. I buy shit because I feel like buying shit and I don't when I don't feel like it.

All those stuffies about laws and regulations and morality and rights are not for pwetty witches of the unseelie court. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You have no more right to getting paid for your work than you have a right to live when pursued by a pack of really angry wolves or the right to freedom if you were born a negro in the times of slavery. It is a social convention and nothing else, the same as any laws that regulate or punish it. Most follow those thingies and some don't, live with it.

What a load of bullshit moral relativism.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Grunker said:
That said, the principles of civil disobediance are as old as the Reichstat itself. It has always been the case that a) those who enact it should take its enactment seriously and cease it when terms have been reached - i.e. when I stop pirating music because of Spotify - and b) that civil disobediance must not harm people.
What is Spotify and why does it stop you downloading music?

Grunker said:
Take that for whatever you like. My core point was that if you think its generally okay to disobey the law then you must not be a fan of democracy. I am, and thus we disagree.
I live in Poland. Poland is a half-anarchy. That's why I can see your point as it often gets kinda annoying here because of that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Spotify is digital music, mostly without DRM, financed partly through commercials with a good quality, a cheap price, and a cut for the artist. Basically you get access to most music ever made for less than 10 dollars per month. It's free the first six months.

That's why I can see your point as it often gets kinda annoying here because of that.

Could you spell this out for me? It might be that it's late but I'm not sure I understand completely.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Black Cat said:
@ Charles-cgr

Quoting for posterity. Jebus fucking Christmas.

Black Cat

Magister
Grunker said:
What a load of bullshit moral relativism.

I'm not a moral relativist, as I don't care for morals. I care for whim, and for lust, and for desire. And for, uhm, caprice. And for whatever I feel like doing. Why, however, should I care for morals? Because someone else said I should do so for no other reason than it happened to be convenient for whatever petty objectives they hold dear? Like, no. I'll care for my own petty objectives given it comes down to nothing but conflicting egoism and interests.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Grunker said:
Spotify is digital music, mostly without DRM, financed partly through commercials with a good quality, a cheap price, and a cut for the artist. Basically you get access to most music ever made for less than 10 dollars per month. It's free the first six months.
I see. Personally, I prefer buying CDs and vinyls. I guess I'm a merchandisefag.

Luckily, we have fair use rights that allow downloading music/movies/books as long as we don't upload, so I don't even have to break any laws when it comes to these.

What do you think about stuff like Creative Commons music?

Grunker said:
That's why I can see your point as it often gets kinda annoying here because of that.

Could you spell this out for me? It might be that it's late but I'm not sure I understand completely.
It doesn't work well. Nepotism everywhere, lots of corruption, drivers not slowing down before crosswalks, almost everyone exceeding speed limits, people not cleaning up after their dogs, etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Creative Commons is pretty awesome. Most of the free licenses are. The good ones show that its more than possible to make copyright that also considers the user and the re-user.

And yeah. Apathy towards the legal system like the one you're talking about is really shitty. I have a lot of polish friends, so we talk about it regularly. Sucks :/

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Grunker said:
Creative Commons is pretty awesome. Most of the free licenses are. The good ones show that its more than possible to make copyright that also considers the user and the re-user.
Did you try to listen any of that stuff? Any favourite bands?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Does Beastie Boys count? :P

Honestly though, like software, the idea of the license is often more awesome than the content it spawns. In order to really become succesful I think some of the concepts have to be adopted into law.

I'm a professional musician (as in "I don't have a daytime job, I pay my rent and my food with my music") and I would have earned a lot more money with my (micro)"fame" in the nineties when people were still buying records. Guess what? I don't give a shit. People can torrent my bands as much as they want, that's the way things go. Musicians have always been poor fucks, except for the fifty years which went from Presley to Napster. If you want to be a professional musician, prepare to be poor, that's the lot of the majority.

You can't expect people to pay for your work when they can download it for free. But then: I'll buy "Frayed knights" at the end of the month when I'll have a bit more money because doing a videogame is much more difficult and expensive than doing a record (and recording a LP with a correct sound already costs a sizable bunch of money); and those guys do love old-school games and did FINISH their project. Kudos to them and I want to give them my money. But that's personal, I'm just happy that some people still do blobbers which don't look like shit done in RPG MAKER. Nothing moral in that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Grunker said:
Does Beastie Boys count? :P

Honestly though, like software, the idea of the license is often more awesome than the content it spawns. In order to really become succesful I think some of the concepts have to be adopted into law.
Generally, I have some bands that I like a lot.
Stuff like Wraithverge, Zardonic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK1OKTCJ2f0, Front Sonore, DK Dance and many others.
There's also tons of pretty nice electronic music, especially dark ambient.

By the way, Echon has published two free pretty good death metal albums.

I have to go to sleep. It's almost 5 a.m. here. Goodnight!

Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I'm a professional musician (as in "I don't have a daytime job, I pay my rent and my food with my music") and I would have earned a lot more money with my (micro)"fame" in the nineties when people were still buying records. Guess what? I don't give a shit. People can torrent my bands as much as they want, that's the way things go. Musicians have always been poor fucks, except for the fifty years which went from Presley to Napster. If you want to be a professional musician, prepare to be poor, that's the lot of the majority.
Sounds cool. What do you play? Do you have to go to far places far away to play concerts to be able to live from it?
Anyway, I never could understand people who don't buy records. I just love buying stuff like vinyls and CD albums, even beside the standard "support the artist" stuff.

I'm a singer in some electronic rock'n'roll bands, we do travel with my main band (Poni Hoax), last month we went, amongst other places, to Sao Paulo or Beijing. I still earn less than a factory worker. But that's all right: I can pay for my rent, food, drugs and liquors, I don't have to wake up early & girls don't see me as a loser (which is totally stupid seeing that I earn less than a baker). In the end, it's cool.
But then, you can make a record for 10.000 euros. Doing a video game by yourself or with a small team costs a lot more.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Where do I buy this game. I wanna LP it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hahhaa. Oh jezus. What was I thinking? I got Knights of Chalice and this blob simulator mixed up! Sorry guys, I'm my money's on KotC !

KotC's great (even if I didn't finish it), I don't really expect Frayed Knights to be as good as I'm bit scared by the "humor" but I'll still buy it and hope to be surprised. On top of that I do generally prefer blobbers to tactical RPGs. If I have the time and the will, I'll LP it.

MCA
Charles-cgr said:
@villain - Your argument is selling organs to buy games because you're too poor. No one wants your organs. But that mighty 19 yr old body of yours can be used to get a summer job. You can afford a PC & internet connection so you can afford the occasional game, play less and focus on your education as well.

See you're so desperate to label people, you're gasping at straws to throw bullshit. I buy my games. When I think they're worth it. Fuck you.

MCA
Black Cat said:
While it may not be obvious, however, I do buy some games when I feel like it just as I do with music or books and movies when I feel like it. So, like, not only did I bought Folklore original when I did not even had a PS3 to play it in but later went and bought a PS3 just to play that one game. However, when I feel like it is the key element here: I do not have an obligation to buy it, nor do they have the right to expect me to do so. I buy shit because I feel like buying shit and I don't when I don't feel like it.

That sounds much better and less like a spoiled bitch. :high-five: :grabs tits instead: hahaha, sorry I still feel rapethirsty towards you.

panzertoter

Arcane
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I'm a singer in some electronic rock'n'roll bands, we do travel with my main band (Poni Hoax)...

Poni+Hoax.jpg

:salute:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
So i played the game for a couple of hours yesterday. Leveling up and dialogues between party members are great. I like the names of the spells, especially the angry flowers.

Game interface is impractical because it has too many sub menus. Even inventory arrangement is more complicated than needed. I would prefer a more direct approach and a more organized interface.

For example when i want to equip a sword, i don't know if my character meets the requirements. I have to attempt to equip it to know. Instead they could show your strength near the sword's strength requirement.

Walking speed in the village is too slow. They should add a run button or something similar.

Also respawning enemies are plain annoying. I shouldn't have to kill the same skeleton, every time i pass from a corridor. Sometimes random encounters seem too frequent. You can't have cultists behind every door and rats in the cellar behind every corner.

All in all, until now, it seems like a mediocre game. I'm wondering if there are boss fights further ahead in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom