Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freelancer gets bigger with mods

Spazmo

Erudite
Freespace and the sequel were fucking awesome games and are easily among my favourites ever, but if you're looking for a space trading kinda deal, you could say they're shallow. Personally, all I want to do it blow enemy fighters up. I'll pass on accounting simulations.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Freespace was definitely the shit when it came to space fight sims. The sheer size of some of those capital ships was a wonder to behold. I remember accidentally flying into the middle of a fleet battle in that game. Dived right down beetween two battle cruisers as they were dukeing it out. Regretted it almost immediately as I didn't even know what hit me and I went poof. :P

Jed

Cipher
Okay. I guess I just need to fucking go for it and track down a copy of Freespace 2.

Here's the thing: I don't own a joystick. Anyone care to make a recommendation?

Nothing too expensive, but a good one, not too fancy, but with good functionality...

...and I want everything in one bag, but I don't want that bag to be heavy...

Spazmo

Erudite
Get a Microsoft Sidewinder kinda deal. it's not terribly expensive and has been fine for me for four or so years now.

Psilon

Erudite
I'm still using a Gravis Thunderbird that's got to be nearing the decade mark. It's got four buttons, a throttle, and a hat switch--who needs anything else?

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Freespace was definitely the shit when it came to space fight sims. The sheer size of some of those capital ships was a wonder to behold.

Theirs a fan mod for X wing alliance, it updates the textures on virtualy all the ships to much higher resolutions and restores the Super Star Destroyer in the game to its accurate 16km lenght(from the 6km it mistakenly was). Its excellently textured and modeled. The battles its involved in contain loads of ISD's as well, its the biggest fleet battle ive seen in any space combat game.

Fez

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
That's another thing though, why can't I break a trade lane?

Actually you can, you just attack the trade lane gate. They do shoot back, but it is pretty feeble so don't worry. It's fun for a bit doing some pirating and it lets you join the pirates in their bases for their missions, but it still wears thin after a while. If you have it installed aready still it is worth trying out.

shasla5

Novice
Ioncross Total War is a good mod, try that. They've managed to change a lot considering the limited options.

THELEGACYMAN

Novice
FREELANCER MOD NEW CLAN MEMBERS NEEDED

THE ARGONS OF the X3 universe need more clan members for the new FREELANCER MOD found here check us out.
This mod is great!!

Solurus Systems MOD

The Freelancer Massive Addon is back online.
Current Version is 1.143b Alpha. See you in space.
Updated February 14th, 2005

Included in this MOD

84 New Systems
144 New Or Refined Ships
A New Federation Starbase And Weapon Turret
51 Active New Species
Continuous NPC Wars
New Commodities, Weapons, Armor, Power,
Shields, Engines & Thrusters (Approx 140 items)
Tradelane And Docking Ring Weapons Are Deadly
Powerful New Battleship Weapons
All original ships upgraded

{ARGON} ARGON ONE

toroid

Arcane
If anyone is interested...

Beta testing is complete for the Discovery mod. The newest version is now 4.82

Discovery Freelancer Mod version 4.82

Discovery is a modification that expands Freelancer universe without spoiling it with unneeded or illogical changes. This mod retains atmosphere and balance of the original game, both multiplayer and singleplayer, and adds new interesting features, allowing players to develop and explore far beyond the limits of unmodded Freelancer. Those features include 97 new pilotable ships, 59 new systems, lots of new weapons, commodities and equipment, battleship encounters, improved artificial intelligence of NPCs and many others - everything seamlessly integrated into Freelancer universe.

With improved balance, stability, and server performance, Discovery 4.82 is a significant step forward in comparison with 4.81 . Numerous new setup options allow players and server administrators to customize gameplay according to their preferences. We've even incorporated Open Single Player into the mod so that you don't need to download any additional patches to enable it! See complete feature list and changelog on download page or in the readme file.

Discovery features a storyline about a war between Bretonia and Kusari that started shortly after the Nomad war - see news on different bases for more details. Story will evolve and continue with next Discovery versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom