Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freespace 2 (now with fan-made mod manager Knossos!)

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Do let me know how does the pt2 fare now.

I admit I might have gotten a bit burned out by the time I approached it. I am not sure whether my main concerns (overly complex mission structure, and story that went back to Blue Planet level of space opera) could be easily remediated, but hey, maybe approaching it with a fresh mind could make it more enjoyable.

Also, it could be my demolished dopamine receptors speaking, but the lack of voiceover made it much more difficult for me to enjoy it's milsim story. Still, different strokes for different folks, I wish you bunch of fun with pt2.

Did you manage to try any other mods? Any recommendations?

Finished Pt2, which I wanted to do before commenting on it. My honest review:

I was hoping that perhaps Pt2 would have had voiceover by now, but unfortunately not.
Except for Samuel Bei, who makes a return at the end.

Could be manageable in some scenarios, but Pt2 in particular is very verbose, including in missions. For reasons explained below, every briefing is also 10-15 screens with lots of text, so it's quite a chore to read through and grasp what you're supposed to do.

I can kind of see why Pt2 hit different than Pt1. Pt1 was the orthodox Freespace 2 battles. but with a lot more drama and a bit of psych and fantasy thrown in. Now in Pt2 you're part of an elite stealth unit that's linked to a neural network, and you perform special missions where other forms of firepower have failed. Real wet work that sometimes involves killing all witnesses, innocents, or craft from your own side to maintain opsec, like Silent Threat or the SOC loop from FS2. Which is a cool concept, but then every mission revolves around a specific skill or gimmick:

- Infiltration behind enemy lines (just as frustrating as a similar mission in FS1 until you figure out how to avoid enemy patrols and AWACS).
- Hacking enemy craft by scanning subsystems.
- Commanding and piloting a cruiser (with your wingmen manning the turrets).
- Commanding a whole fleet in a massive capital ship battle, including artillery. Using your skills accumulated so far to whittle down the enemy fleet, thus earning "points" to call in more strike wings to take down an enemy destroyer.
- A kind of tower defence game with different sorts of turrets on platforms (pretty fun, but then just when you're winning, stealth fighters warp in that will shred the transport that you were supposed to protect within seconds).

In between missions, you fly around in a "dreamscape" where you're neurolinked to your fellow elite squad mates to reflect on what happened and learn what's going on. And you do trainings in the dreamscape to learn the next skill/gimmick for the next mission.

All of these are pretty fun by themselves, but it does mean that most missions are basically puzzles revolving around their central idea or gimmick. There are basically no dogfighting or bombing skills involved. Just lots of frustration if you misplace a piece of the puzzle somewhere. According to the Mrs, I was talking in my sleep last night about being frustrated with these missions. :lol:

Then the last mission is another psych horror mindfuck like in Age of Aquarius where you're "flying" in your own mind, trying to interrogate your imaginary friend Ken, who is actually the Shivan side of the Vishnan-Shivan battle over the mind of Nagari-sensitive people. You have to uncover your purpose and the reason for the war in the grand cosmic scheme of things. All the while, Samuel Bei is trying to run interference on behalf of the Vishnans. You have to get out of it without losing your sanity. Which is fine, except the mission takes 45 minutes and you can fuck up and go insane at one point and then you have to do the mission all over again. There are no checkpoints or other ways to skip the revelations you've already seen. At the end, it's revealed that your wing leader/lesbian crush from Pt1 is still alive, so you can choose to either pull back from the brink of insanity, or you can deliberately let your mind be destroyed out of fear for the consequences of having people running around being controlled by alien entities.

Before the credits roll, it's implied that act 4/pt3 will have you involved in squadron fighting again. The Federation needs a legendary ace, a Ghost of Kiev, but real. So I guess we'll just have to wait for that. Although it seems the dev team follows the Tamriel Rebuilt principle of perfectionism, and the George R.R. Martin school of transparency on timelines. So maybe best to leave it alone and come back 5-10 years later and see where they'll be at by that time. Hope the voice actors from Pt1 will make a return. The acting is a bit uneven, but the main characters are all amazingly voiced.
Welp

Thanks for taking the plunge, so that I don't need to.

I think your impressions about pt2 pretty much match up with mine, so I'm going to take it as a proof that I was right about the whole thing.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I played a couple of missions of Chanticleer, which is a 2023 released mod part of the Blue Planet continuity. Pretty fun so far. Nothing mind-blowing, but old-school kind of missions, with a little sting in the tail sometimes. Plus it has voice acting. You play as the GTVA this time, so could be nice if you're tired of the hypocritical pacifist Feddies. Will investigate further.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Decided to update my old install of FS2 source port to Knossos. Much cleaner interface/organizer than the old one with a most convenient mod downloader. Re-downloaded the TCs (Babylon Project, Wing Commander Saga, Diaspora, etc) and the MediaVPs and my new installation of FS2 went from 15GB to 30 GB (!). Wow. Hope it's worth it to play this the best it can be now that I'm in the 4K era of my life. Knossos still throws important config files into your Windows AppData folder which means all settings are lost if you don't back up and have to restore/reinstall windows so I'll continue my gripe that this shit should always be fucking PORTABLE.

DesolationStone

Educated
Knossos still throws important config files into your Windows AppData folder which means all settings are lost if you don't back up and have to restore/reinstall windows so I'll continue my gripe that this shit should always be fucking PORTABLE
I didn't understand this part, what do you mean by "portable"?

Melcar

Arcane
Knossos still throws important config files into your Windows AppData folder which means all settings are lost if you don't back up and have to restore/reinstall windows so I'll continue my gripe that this shit should always be fucking PORTABLE
Everything runs off a single main folder that can be easily moved.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
My installation puts stuff into C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming folder (two folders named HardLight Productions and Knossos), even after I moved it. I deleted those folders as a test, and all settings were lost when I ran Knossos. Did I miss a portable installation option? Also, I get this ominous warning when I try to run Silent Threat Reborn, downloaded and installed with Knossos. All the other mods installed fine.
LXOubOS.jpeg

Melcar

Arcane
My installation puts stuff into C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming folder (two folders named HardLight Productions and Knossos), even after I moved it. I deleted those folders as a test, and all settings were lost when I ran Knossos. Did I miss a portable installation option? Also, I get this ominous warning when I try to run Silent Threat Reborn, downloaded and installed with Knossos. All the other mods installed fine.
LXOubOS.jpeg
As far as I know there is no portable option, but then again I have not played the game in a while.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
LXOubOS.jpeg
As far as I know there is no portable option, but then again I have not played the game in a while.
I played a few minutes of Freespace 2 from original CDs a year or two after it came out. Bought it from a mail-order close-out for like $1.00. Thought it was a sweet deal but man the squad-based combat in game was deep when I was expecting a more arcadey experience, so I quit early (didn't have a joystick then either). Maybe this was why the genre went into a slow decline in popularity. I want to attempt another go now that it's been source ported into "perfection" for the modern 4K age.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Damn, had no idea there were so many user-made campaigns for the Freespace Open engine. But understandable. Played a little of the Freespace 1 Port in the FS2 engine recently, and a little of the TIE Fighter TC yesterday and while both seem to be first-rate space combat sim/shooters, the Freespace engine seems like the pinnacle of the genre. Very refined but fairly complex so likely scares a lot of gamers away. It deserves its still-going-strong community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom