Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck yeah, it's the most SERIOUS Witcher-review ever!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That was... chaotic, alright.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So anyway, a list of the best Witcher reviews ever written.

1. Ouugh.Blogspot's review
2. DarkUnderlord's Year In Retrospect review
3. And Andyman's SERIOUS review

Although it all just leaves me convinced not to buy the game, I have to say that this hilarity would never have existed were it not for the Witcher. Amazing how things work out.

I liked TW, it had nice atmosphere and certain richness about it. But I have mostly the same beefs with it. It would have been a lot better if I was allowed to create my own fat, ugly homosexual withcher who rapes small boys and has to fight vengeful mothers, teens and revenants, while getting money from the much safer business of being a thug for hire rather than slaying monsters.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing I didn't like about The Witcher were the FUCKING LONG WAYS TO WALK.

Ugh.

Everything else was p. good and I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

quasimodo

Augur
Great review Andy, I really love your style. Please continue to review games and don't forget to liberally premedicate yourself beforehand.

ps. Bring back the horse avatar.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just picked this game up.

And holy shit is the combat annoying as fuck.

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I just picked this game up.

It's tolerable if you close your eyes while doing combos and it sounds like Geralt is fucking you and building up to his climax.

Oh, and gute review Andyman! :salutay:

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Do it on hard mode, it's actually for fun since you concentrate on his moves instead of the flashing icon.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
In terms of combat I actually didn't mind the actual clicking so much (playing on Hard). What I did find annoying was the whole three-styles bullshit and having to use all of them (thus making it all moot and kinda silly) and there being little other weapon choice (in that, you were worse off using the other weapons than sticking with the default swords the entire game).

The flipping out like a Ninja was way over-the-top though but at least the timed-clicking it was different to the standard "hold the mouse button down until the bad thing dies" Diablo II method. I just wish doing combo's involved more buttons like holding shift to block or ctrl to do a power attack or alt to do some other attack or something and being able to use all those styles on an enemy, not just matching the style with the enemy.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Satori said:
Do it on hard mode, it's actually for fun since you concentrate on his moves instead of the flashing icon.

He still twirls his sword twice though, there's really no way to give TWitcher good combat.

made

Arcane
Dear Andyman, your analysis of "The Witcher - Game of the Year 2007, 2008, 2009 Edition" is invalid because you haven't played the game the way it's meant to be played - in Polish. Please do so and rewrite your review accordingly. After all, you wouldn't dig out an obscure Azerbaijanian translation of PS:T and presume to pass judgement based on that.

Your biggest fan,
made

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yes. A Polish version will improve the core gameplay mechanics of the game.

That makes complete sense.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Even the first translation of the game wasn't that bad. Compared to the Fallout3 shittiness, Witcher's writing looks like a literary masterpiece. Yes, sometimes the grammar and sentence construction was not good, but at least you understood what they waere trying to say and most of the time the meaning was not FO3's retarded stuff. I think most non-english speakers did not have a big problem with the translation.

Anyway, I consider Witcher to be a good game and the only worthwhile RPG-ish pc game since Bloodlines. (yes MOTB too, but it's an expansion.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom