Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Furries!

which do you hate more?

• races stolen from Tolkien

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • furries

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

BearBomber

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Choke on a dick.

NO U!

Emotional Vampire said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Tolkien-esque races. Even more so, they're a GOOD THING. Anyone who is not living under a rock knows the deal - the elves are snobbish, gay tree-hugging people and the dwarves are grumpy, but rowdy, tough irish. Orcs are green and bust shit up.

And that's cool, because standards are awesome. Everyone likes standards. The developers, because they don't need to spend half the fucking game or manual to explain who's who to the player*, and players because they don't need to learn names, customs, and traits of all the out-of-the-ass races the dev came up with. You can jump into the world right away.

>>>But why should they use any non-human races at all? They culd use humans only. Everyone know how humans look like, and how they behave. They don't have to spent any time explaining anything. Why use fantasy world at all? If you use standard modern world you don't have to spend half of the fucking game explaining player where is he. He can jump right into the game right away. Awesome!

Emotional Vampire said:
And Tolkien's races are great, because Tolkien was a super fucking nerd and spent a lot of time working on them. So they make sense. None of this Wizardry bullshit where dogpeople run after catpeople. You can't just put a tiger's face on a fucking human, that doesn't make any sense and wouldn't work. Then arbitarily give them agility bonus, because "it's a cat". Average cat weights 4kg and his tail 1kg. Balance? Sure. Now you scaled it up 20 times and his tail 2 times. Do the fucking math. Then you make them live in the desert. With fur? Seriously? And so on and so on.

>>>But standard DnD elf who is 100 years old and behaves exactly like normal human in his thirties and have simillar skills and experience is a-ok. I don't criticize races themself but people who steal them all the time ignoring that they were created by someone who unlike them spent his time to create something new. Of course they were based on many mitologies, but Tolkien spent more time adjusting that races to his world than fantasy game creators.

Emotional Vampire said:
Of course you could say that using them all the time is limiting, but that's bullshit. Compare The Witcher's inhumans and any generic high fantasy inhumans. It's just a matter of how serious you want to treat the subject. Some will go for the inter-racial tensions, other won't think beyond +AGI for Elves and +EN for Dwarves. Don't call the universe limited just because people who use it are.

>>>They are still arogant nature lovers and grumpy miggets but now they are hated, and edgy. They are just humans with funny names and longer lifespans. People think that they have to put in some non-human races and they don't want to spend time to create something new, and they are not the universe, just one aspect of it.

Emotional Vampire said:
So yeah. Choke on a dick.

UH OH!

sheek

Arbiter
Somebody with the book post that excerpt with insectoid sex in Perdido Street Station

sah

Liturgist
I can imagine a context in which humanoid cats would make sense as a race/species. This is because I have a vast imagination.

sah said:
I can imagine a context in which humanoid cats would make sense as a race/species. This is because I have a vast imagination.

No, it's becaue you never let reason get in your way.

sah

Liturgist
399px-GD-EG-KomOmbo016.JPG

Radisshu

Prophet
So, a furry = any furry mammal + human?

You combine two specific animals to create a furry? Why not take it further, why not combine, say, turtles with various types of squids? That would be an awesome player race!

BearBomber

Scholar
Radisshu said:
So, a furry = any furry mammal + human?

You combine two specific animals to create a furry? Why not take it further, why not combine, say, turtles with various types of squids? That would be an awesome player race!

>>>I agree. Can't wait to play as turtopus. Awesome. Seriously.

DraQ

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Tolkien-esque races. Even more so, they're a GOOD THING. Anyone who is not living under a rock knows the deal - the elves are snobbish, gay tree-hugging people and the dwarves are grumpy, but rowdy, tough irish. Orcs are green and bust shit up.

And that's cool, because standards are awesome. Everyone likes standards. The developers, because they don't need to spend half the fucking game or manual to explain who's who to the player*, and players because they don't need to learn names, customs, and traits of all the out-of-the-ass races the dev came up with. You can jump into the world right away.
nottheblivzo8.jpg

Also, I disapprove of the decline.

Bwhahahahahahahaha! I'm going to save that image, DraQ, so that i may be reminded of yours brilliance over and over again... (and steal it someday).

DraQ said:
nottheblivzo8.jpg

See, you wanted to look smart, and you turned out like a polack furfag instead. All TES races are completely out of the ass, exactly the shit I was talking against in my post.

Go back to masturbating to animals.

DraQ

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
DraQ said:
nottheblivzo8.jpg

See, you wanted to look smart, and you turned out like a polack furfag instead. All TES races are completely out of the ass, exactly the shit I was talking against in my post.
You've only proven to be a braindead faggot you seem to be.

Oblivion practically discarded rich TES lore, opting for blandness of your beloved standards (not just applied to races, mind you) instead.

Either you're a hypocritical idiot who speaks out of his ass, a hypocritical retard who faps secretly to Oblivion, or you're so much of a moron, you don't even have a fucking clue regarding what you're talking about.
Either way, I win.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's like watching a retarded kid trying to grab the football some bullies stole from him while they keep passing it between each other. But the retarded kid never catches it.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Characters of a fantasy race usually end up coming in two flavours. The first type is a character that follows the cultural norms of their race to the letter. The second type is a character whose raison d'etre is to prove that not everybody of fantasy race X all act and think the same. The first wouldn't normally happen unless the race was some sort of collective. The second is a response to creating a culturally homogenous race that would exist only in specific circumstances. EDIT: This isn't always the case but it usually ends up being that way. I know the Dark Elves in Morrowind totally adverted this problem and had three (four if you include the nomads) distinctly different subcultures within their race.

It doesn't seem to matter if the races were made up or are from stock fantasy. They all usually suffer from a lack of intracultural variance. Sometimes this is just a case of conservation of detail but if that is the case why not just have that race's culture transplanted into a sect of humanity and just cut the race out?

This actually raises the question of why bother having races in the first place if they really are being treated nothing more than collections of likeminded individuals. It would just be easier to pull an Alpha Centauri with one race seperated by seven ideologies than to have seven different races.

It almost feels like that developers (or marketers) don't feel like they are making a real fantasy game unless they do add some fantasy races to it.

BearBomber

Scholar
This actually raises the question of why bother having races in the first place if they really are being treated nothing more than collections of likeminded individuals. It would just be easier to pull an Alpha Centauri with one race seperated by seven ideologies than to have seven different races.

Tha game with such system would have much more depth than normal fantasy RPG. It would also be easier for player to care about characters. It's more likely that normal person will dislike communist or fascist, than that he'll dislike elfs or weretigers.

DraQ said:
Either you're a hypocritical idiot who speaks out of his ass, a hypocritical retard who faps secretly to Oblivion, or you're so much of a moron, you don't even have a fucking clue regarding what you're talking about.
Either way, I win.

Yes, you've played Oblivion(Hint: I didn't) and you know a lot about TES lore(Hint: I don't), therefore you clearly win at life.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Emotional Vampire said:
DraQ said:
Either way, I win.

Yes, you've played Oblivion(Hint: I didn't) and you know a lot about TES lore(Hint: I don't), therefore you clearly win at life.

So basically you complain about TES races being bland without even knowing about TES lore?
That's just beyond stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom