Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review G4 reviews Gothic 3 - 3/5

Kraszu

Prophet
GhanBuriGhan said:
I think the Codex (and I myself) needs to accept that the concept behind Oblivion is here to stay, because, like it or not, it has created longlasting fun for many customers, and has honest fans. There are many arguments that within the RPG scene there should and could be that different type of games that the Codex advocates, but the emotional vendetta that apparently still hasn't quite abated here, was and is, as I have said before, counterproductive.

Why is it counterproductive? Emotional vendetta = criticizing something/making fun of it?

Pseudofool said:
For those who've finished any recommendatinos on where I should finally draw my allegiance?
I haven't finihed it yet, I don't want it to end! But, at least for me, the choise was clear form the get go. A quote from a super annoying ad for a Discovery channel program called the Greatest Ever comes to mind: "Why would we put a jet engine in a motorbike? Because we can! Same here, why would I side with the orcs? Because I fucking can! And despite whatever Volo says, I can side with the orcs and even feel I'm fighting for a just cause. There are so many cool mercs and orcs, and so many pricks amongst the "good" guys (Rebels, Rangers, Nomads, Nord-whatever-guys), that I feel pure joy when I accept some random rebel-mission, just to fuck them in the ass and send the orcs in, all guns blazing. That being said, there are three endings, and as far as I've understand, they are related to the choise of God, rather than how you choose to treat people. (IMHO, that's a cool nab at religion in general, as well)

GhanBuriGhan said:
For all the reasons that this review mentioned I am enormously pissed at whoever is responsible for the premature release of G3. It should have been that game that would have allowed to argue; "yeah, look: open, freeform 3D, gamel like Oblivion are cool, but look how much cooler they are if you add a truly responsive world, and true choices and consequences". Instead they shot themselves in the leg by releasing an unfinished product, making it so easy for reviewers to shrug the game off. And because of this, the best chance we had last year for creating precedence that such concepts can be commercially attractive has apparently been wasted.
Yes! This is exactly what I try to argue before my friends when they can't look past the bugs/combat. With some I've succeeded. Some are truly lost in oblivion. (Hoho, did you get it? In oblivion? Oblivion? Hurr, hurr.)

geminito said:
Volourn said:
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I hope not, for a change! Just debate? Yes?
Wow, this was surprising! (Even more surprising than no one making this joke yet!)

Now, perhaps, the codex finally will be able to turn you over to the light side. Non-flaming, constructive debate is the first real step for becoming a true angry cunt. You have taken this step. :salute:

Section8

Cipher
Oblivion gives you no choices at all (aside from entirely superficial decisions like "Which of the Daedric artifacts do I sacrifice?")

That was actually one of the few things in Oblivion that showed some promise, a quest that requires the player to make a choice with a negative result (the sacrifice of an overpowered artifact.) However, it becomes a pointless exercise, since it's dead simple to find an artifact that just doesn't work with your character build.

As for Gothic 3 Orcs, I think it's more or less a point of view. It's no different to Islamic fundies seeing the western world as evil, and Christian fundies seeing Muslim nations as evil.

Besides, since when did enslaving another species become evil? How is it any more evil than humans using horses and such as beasts of burden? I'm all for the human rights movement, but I'm not some goddamned hippie vegan that thinks all of mother earth's creations should have irrevocable freedom.

Section8 said:
Besides, since when did enslaving another species become evil? How is it any more evil than humans using horses and such as beasts of burden? I'm all for the human rights movement, but I'm not some goddamned hippie vegan that thinks all of mother earth's creations should have irrevocable freedom.
Thank you! This was the exact argument I needed to convince this hippie bitch friend of mine to give the orcs a try.

suibhne

Erudite
Section8 said:
That was actually one of the few things in Oblivion that showed some promise, a quest that requires the player to make a choice with a negative result (the sacrifice of an overpowered artifact.) However, it becomes a pointless exercise, since it's dead simple to find an artifact that just doesn't work with your character build.

And also because the scaled l3w7z are so fat that the Daedric artifacts aren't signiificantly better than you get off a 20th-level Bandit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volo says, I can side with the orcs and even feel I'm fighting for a just cause."

So fighting for the rights of orcs to continue enslaving an entire nation, and subjgating people is a JUST cause now?

LMAO You guys are absolutely moronic with no idea what morals are.

The Orc Faction in G3 is evil. They are the very defintion of evil.

But, hey, it's nice to know that people today actually belive that it was a just cause for blacks to be slaves in the olden days.

R00fles!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who cares whether or not the orcs are evil? All factions are evil.
You can either side with the evil orcs, or the super-evil assassins. Or you side with the humans, who aren't exactly an example of pure virtue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
""Who cares whether or not the orcs are evil?"

Apparantly the people who have been arguing this for like a page do. Duh. Have you read the thread? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
""Who cares whether or not the orcs are evil?"

Apparantly the people who have been arguing this for like a page do. Duh. Have you read the thread? :roll: :roll: :roll:
It was a rhetorical question, pissface.

I just wanted to remind everyone that this debate is irrelevant. The original statement which instigates this nonsese was about the fact that Gothic 3 doesn't revolve around a clichéd "save the world from evil" plot, and that doesn't become more or less true depending on the orcs' evilness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom