Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Edition

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
1iMm9Cw.png

Space Pirate tits. Gonna check what GalCiv is up to, but I don't have particularly high expectations. The previous game was worth a single playthrough but was otherwise pretty meh.
HmbfU0w.png

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've played this for a couple of hours, there's a new beta version of Supernova edition and it is really not bad. A lot to micromanage with citizens, but I like it. Music is superb, events are interesting, combat is rather crap.

covr

Prophet
Patron
This is really probably the best Stardock entry in the last decade. Or two. But the price is too high IMO.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It does get annoying paying $50 for the same game over and over, and then have to pay for the same DLC for it again. At least, that's what they seemed to do with GC3.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That's not at all what they did here. They released a whole new game for $50 and people who own the previous game can get it at a discount.

damn, this sucks.
everything feels like it's either bugged, a placeholder or an afterthought. for instance, i put everything to slowest, that's how i like my civ, in the blink of an eye i was building everything on the planet in 1 turn, then i went out of space, but you just can't leave a planet idle, so all was left was destroy a structure and rebuild it, every turn, for ever and ever. if there was anything else to do, either the interface bugged or hid it somewhere. and music is recycled from previous games.
map is terrible, you're going to lose track of those extremely tiny ships very soon while you lose your eyesight and you're going to keep the map scrolling just to try to understand what's interactable and what's background. at least they're LARGE, and the new turn calculations are quick.
galciv1, 20 years ago, sucked hard because anyone who colonized a large planet first automatically won the game. galciv4 is still the same.

covr

Prophet
Patron
damn, this sucks.
everything feels like it's either bugged, a placeholder or an afterthought. for instance, i put everything to slowest, that's how i like my civ, in the blink of an eye i was building everything on the planet in 1 turn, then i went out of space, but you just can't leave a planet idle, so all was left was destroy a structure and rebuild it, every turn, for ever and ever. if there was anything else to do, either the interface bugged or hid it somewhere. and music is recycled from previous games.
map is terrible, you're going to lose track of those extremely tiny ships very soon while you lose your eyesight and you're going to keep the map scrolling just to try to understand what's interactable and what's background. at least they're LARGE, and the new turn calculations are quick.
galciv1, 20 years ago, sucked hard because anyone who colonized a large planet first automatically won the game. galciv4 is still the same.
Well, if you don't want to build anything because of lack of space on the planet, you can always do some kind of project, there's one for extra modules and there's one that gives you some money. You can also expand the planet to have some new extra hexes to build. I play on normal speed and never had to destroy any structure.

As for the fleets - yes, they are tiny and galaxy is huge. They should increase visibility of the fleets, especially enemy forces on your territory.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Wow, this is a flop, only around 400 ppl playing this at the moment, just after they've released first major patch.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Wow, this is a flop, only around 400 ppl playing this at the moment, just after they've released first major patch.
You realize the majority of players are going to be on Epic, since most people bought IV there and then upgraded to Supernova, right?

covr

Prophet
Patron
I doubt it is majority of players, last time I've checked Steam had 3 times more active user vs Epic. But yeah, point taken - it was released a year ago on Epic, but anyone with brain knows that those exclusive deals are nothing more than pre-early access before Steam launch.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've read that its less rock-paper-scissors combat compared to 3, but I'm really not in the mood to risk it and waste cash on this. One thing is for sure: there are lots of advertisements everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom