Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game ADD

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone else have Game Attention Deficit Disorder?

My RPG collection has grown quite large, I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes. While I like the collection, Im constantly starting a game then abandoning them for another.

It's got to the point now where Im driving myself nuts on what to play with all the choices.

WHAT DO I DO NOW!!! :roll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I get this mostly when RPGs just degenerate into boring combat fests with loads of shitty trash monsters. Slow combat + hordes of boring trash that require no strategy = zzz.
Sadly, that's a big portion of the whole RPG genre, right there.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea I get that too.

I think as long as your party is gaining valueable XP or items by repeated fighting it can stay interesting, but games that throw slog after slog of weak opponents that offer very little XP get boring really fast.

Its one of the troubles Im having with Utlima IV. I love the game and would like to finish but the random fights take so much time in the game.

Some of the better games strike a good balances of giving you enough combat to improve your party without beating you over the head with it repeatedly.

It's the reason I didn't finish Icewind Dale. I liked the game but it was just combat after combat, after combat. Then some more combat.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Fortunately developers have taken note of this and now single player campaings are much, much shorter so everyone is able to finish them. Replay value is now a matter of unlocking harder difficulties to play on and doing wacky stuff to get trophies/achievements.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Its one of the troubles Im having with Utlima IV. I love the game and would like to finish but the random fights take so much time in the game.

Magic Axes FTW!. :wink:

Redeye

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:

It's the reason I didn't finish Icewind Dale. I liked the game but it was just combat after combat, after combat. Then some more combat.

One of the voice sets in IWD- the kind of slacker guy, had one where he says "Yay, more fighting"

Melcar

Arcane
It didn't use to be a problem, but recently I find it harder and harder to concentrate on a single game for more than 30min. Maybe it's ADD, or maybe because of shitty games that fail to keep me interested.

1eyedking

Erudite
Melcar said:
It didn't use to be a problem, but recently I find it harder and harder to concentrate on a single game for more than 30min. Maybe it's ADD, or maybe because of shitty games that fail to keep me interested.
I'd bet it's the latter.

I can play the old ones for hours.

Melcar

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Melcar said:
I'd bet it's the latter.

Yeah. I can play Fallout or Arcanum for days without leaving my room, for example.

I'm noticing it in general with games.

Its a mixture of having too many to play so no single one gets the proper level of attention/don't appreciate having it enough in spite of how few I really buy these days, and just sometimes having so much time to play I lock up or don't tolerate things as much as I once did.

The Action RPG genre doesn't do it for me at all. Within 4-6 hours of one of these console or PC my brain has gone to mush and I have become tired of them.

Japan back in the NES days had a solution that I honestly think sort of works.

Play LESS. Limit yourself to 45-90 minutes of play a day. Back in the day this policy/suggestion from a major games publisher found they were selling MORE games rather than less.

You aren't getting bored as much doing the same damned thing. If you get stuck or frustrated you will come back the next day with a clear head, or sleeping on it the solution to your sticking block might pop up.

I use this strategy with my portables games and I tend to finish TONS of them compared to computer and console where I don't finish many at all.

I play at work and am only getting to play in 10-15 minute spurts 4-5 times a night, 3 times a week on breaks. It keeps me going since I really don't get time to get tired of the game. I only quit if something REALLY cool comes out that I have to play now, or its just impossibly hard and unfair ala the first English Fire Emblem, that Star Trek game on the PSP, or whatnot.

Plus as mentioned, I buy less games these days. I would much rather buy tabletop games stuff and comics than another game I won't ever finish.

At last count I had around 200 unfinished games, 40 of them barely even played at all. Add in old favorites I want to replay, or just the odd game I might be in the mood for, and even with my fairly large amount of free time I just won't finish. So if I spread things out, buy less, and find ways to keep my desire up, I actually get MORE gaming done than installing a game to play for an hour then dropping it for some other shiney...

Luzur

Good Sir
Saxon1974 said:

My RPG collection has grown quite large, I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes. While I like the collection, Im constantly starting a game then abandoning them for another.

It's got to the point now where Im driving myself nuts on what to play with all the choices.

i know that feeling.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dire Roach said:
Fortunately developers have taken note of this and now single player campaings are much, much shorter so everyone is able to finish them. Replay value is now a matter of unlocking harder difficulties to play on and doing wacky stuff to get trophies/achievements.

Yea there is something to this, but I dont think its only this. Some of the older 80's RPG's even though they had like 100+ of play time never bored me and still dont, so while I think this is true for alot of games, some of them were able to create a huge world with tons of play time without intentionally shortening the game.

Good example is MMII, that game is freaking long and I dont think it ever got boring. Yep, they dont make em like they used to.

The thing is, some of these old games were so much fun I didnt really want them to end....with most modern games after a while I wonder when its going to end.

Saxon1974

Prophet
1eyedking said:
Melcar said:
I'd bet it's the latter.

I have to agree here.

You see the newer games look prettier and are easier to play on many levels...(shorter, auto maps, journals etc...) but I ALWAYS find myself having an empty experience after a while and get a calling to go back to the classic games.

I usually go back to Ultima III-VII, MMI-II, Bard's Tales or games like that.

A lot of times, I play games simply to see everything interesting it has to offer. Eventually, there's not much new to see, so I don't really bother continuing. Until then, if the game has managed to provide some entertainment for a reasonable amount of time, I figure the game's accomplished what it set out to do. Maybe I'll finish it, but I won't force myself to if I'm not having fun, or because I feel obligated for some reason.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:

Yea havent got one of those yet, too expensive right now :wink:

Just have fun in ANY of the local dungeons.... you are really missing out if you are not tromping around in them.

Blind Eye

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:

Solution to problem:

1. Pack up 190 of those games in a large, heavely padded box.

2. I'll PM you with the details of the addess they are to be shipped to.

3. Problem solved.

[Disclamer] Will not be held responsable if shipment gets (lost) in transite and (appears) to have been sold on E-bay for profit. :P

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:

Yea havent got one of those yet, too expensive right now :wink:

Just have fun in ANY of the local dungeons.... you are really missing out if you are not tromping around in them.

Which Ultima do you think has the best dungeons? I think its probably IV or V. Definitely not VII even though the game is great.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Blind Eye said:
Saxon1974 said:

Solution to problem:

1. Pack up 190 of those games in a large, heavely padded box.

2. I'll PM you with the details of the addess they are to be shipped to.

3. Problem solved.

[Disclamer] Will not be held responsable if shipment gets (lost) in transite and (appears) to have been sold on E-bay for profit. :P

Sure thing, will get right on that :P

denizsi

Arcane
I have probably over 200 RPGs going all the way back to the early 80's all in the original boxes

You know, you should do something about that. And post pictures of it. Believe me, it helps with the attention problem. Join the club

Durwyn

Prophet
I got that when I was a kid. Never finished any game, stoped playing after I got another game. Now, when there are very few (or even none) decent games to play, I play again oldies, or games I've never finished before. This time I try to finish all of them, even those that bore me to death, just for the sake of finishing them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom