Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game with most devastating magic?

Jelerak

Literate
What game (RPG presumably but it can be strategy with mages or something alike) has the most devastating, totally annihilating magic? The game where you can feel like a giant walking flamethrower (icethrower, poisonthrower, electrothrower etc) slaying puny screaming enemies left and right in high smoking piles, laughing demonically? The magic system and spells that give the sense of orgasmic omnipower?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
hqdefault.jpg

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I think what you are looking for is the game of having to take a poop but then you take pre-workout and eat a bowl of chili then do deadlifts. That will give you the fireworks you are looking for.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For me, be able to cast spells like polymorph, stoneskin, dominate person, mirror image, summon shadow, flesh to stone ice, disintegrate, ice prison, finger of death, haste, feeblemid(...) is much more interesting than merely making rain of destruction. That said, I assume that "devasting" means large area of effect damage, so I would recommend :

• Dragon's Dogma as mentioned but being a sorc in this game is boring. Is press two buttons and pray to not be interrupted for dozens of seconds. I honestly prefer magick archer and ranger in this game
  • Mount & Blade - Phantasy Calradia. Lots of powerful spells. I honestly prefer legacy of the dragon but this mod has incredible powerful devasting magic.
  • Might & Magic VI/VII/VIII - Dark Magic Armageddon is a magical nuke capable of destroying entire towns. And you can make rain meteors with fire magic and stuff like that.
  • Gothic 1/2 - Only with circle 5/6 end game spells. Uruziel wave of death and Fire Rain. But this spells are only end game.
  • Gothic 3 - Fire rain and hailstorm (mainly fire rain as you can obtain it before the end game)
  • Every D&D/PF1e game with tier 8/9 spells. Wail of the Banshee, Horrid wilting and so on are incredible deadly and has a huge area of effect. You would't have any problem finding 3E games in this level range, but most 2E games rarely allow you to get tier 8/9 spells. In Dark Sun : Wake of The Ravager, the lv cap is one lv bellow tier 8 spells and you can only get Meteor swarm as once per campaign scroll at extremely high gold cost
  • PF:Kingmaker - Kineticist - Deadly Earth + Cloud = death zone.
  • Titan Quest storm ice shards - A lot of high DPS in a huge area, but sadly it eats too much mana.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Arcanum.

Disintegrate does what it says on the tin and disintegrates the fuck out of everything except maybe the final boss.

Enemies, doors, chests, whatever. No bullshit immunities or level scaling. It just vanishes, not even a puff of smoke.

mondblut

Arcane
What game (RPG presumably but it can be strategy with mages or something alike) has the most devastating, totally annihilating magic?

Dominions, and it's not up to discussions. Literally dozens of world-ending spells alone, from causing it to freeze in eternal winter or covering it in pitch darkness to tainting all magic with lovecraftian horrors and unleashing mad ghosts of past gods to hunt all that is living.

For RPGs, well, there is Exile 3 with Quickfire spell that eventually burns an entire level of the game killing everything in it, and Ultima used to have Armageddon spell that kills everybody in the game except the protagonist and Lord British.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Ultima Games - Armageddon spell, kills everyone in the world except you and Lord British. He has funny things to say if you use it.
Kingdoms of Amalur - the Meteor spell is OP, just cast, pick up the loot, move to next zone. I actually respecced out of magic after that because it was too boring.

Cross

Arcane
Magic & Mayhem and Sacrifice. Both games are RTS hybrids that let you do lots of cool stuff with magic.

I never got Fictorum to work correctly. It was very buggy for me. I also rrcall designed for console controls.

Magicka 1 was an excellent game for laying waste. No environmental damage like Sacrifice or Black and White, but otherwise extremely powerful with many options that can be furiously applied. They tried to make the sequel into a MOBA, and killed it with balancing. Even worse, they messed with the original through patches to make it more like 2.

Gregz

Arcane
What game (RPG presumably but it can be strategy with mages or something alike) has the most devastating, totally annihilating magic? The game where you can feel like a giant walking flamethrower (icethrower, poisonthrower, electrothrower etc) slaying puny screaming enemies left and right in high smoking piles, laughing demonically? The magic system and spells that give the sense of orgasmic omnipower?

The game you are looking for is called Fictorum.

Falksi

Arcane
Some of Phantasy Star 4's combo attacks like Conduct Thunder are badass AF, and decimate the opposition if used right.

They're satisfying too, as you have to work to find and use them, they're not just automatically discovered and used.

Modron

Arcane
PST had a spell that was like 1D8 per caster level + 20 damage and 10 yards per caster level save for half damage. Pair that with no maximum level and some enemies that drop 70k experience in Undersigil the only thing preventing all enemies dying at once in areas were the walls.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
PST had a spell that was like 1D8 per caster level + 20 damage and 10 yards per caster level save for half damage. Pair that with no maximum level and some enemies that drop 70k experience in Undersigil the only thing preventing all enemies dying at once in areas were the walls.
bladestorm.jpg

Blade Storm, a 7th level spell

Norfleet

Probably Ultima. None of that pany-ass "destroys the entire screen" stuff. Armageddon does what it says on the tin: IT DESTROYS THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD. Game over, man! Game over!

fork

Dragon's Dogma if you play it without pawns.
Solo Sorcerer is pure joy for quite some time, takes a while to figure out due to cast times and enemy resistances, but you can clear everything (I think), and the power is overwhelming and all spells are fun. But then again, most vocations are fun once you mastered them, and DDDA is one of the best games ever, great sorceries or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom