Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameDesign: Inventory

Sarvis

Erudite
Claw said:
PS: WTH is "PW"?

Persistant World. People make NWN modules which are basically MMORPGs...

Dropping all armor used by anything is largely pointless. It'll just eat up system resources as everything sits there unused because it's not worth selling or carrying. Plus most of the stuff the common enemies would be using would be beneath the players notice. The only time it's ever in any way good or useful to have enemies drop all their loot is the first part of a module when you don't have a complete set of eq.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It'll just eat up system resources as everything sits there unused because it's not worth selling or carrying."

No.

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
"It'll just eat up system resources as everything sits there unused because it's not worth selling or carrying."

No.

No what? It won't eat up system resources? Bull. NWN keeps track of everything, even when it's not on screen. It may not eat up a whole lot of resources, but it'll tkae up some.

It's just a waste.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No what? It won't eat up system resources? Bull. NWN keeps track of everything, even when it's not on screen. It may not eat up a whole lot of resources, but it'll tkae up some.

It's just a waste."

It's called scripts, dummy. You know NOTHING. NOTHING at all.

And, as for other games, it's very posisble to have it so items left on ground will vanish after after a certain amount of time passes.

Come on. Use your stupid brains for ocne, and THINk before tleling me I'm wrong. It's embarassing when I'm 100% correct and it's not even about opinion.

LOLOLOLOLLLIPOP

DarkSign

Erudite
Volourn said:
In this case it does. Any developer who cna't balance a make believe economy with decent armour dropping doens't deserve loot dropping respect and yes, that includes the BIOweenies!

This is why in my mod, people will drop any armour they use. Period! And, the economy will be balanced!

No. It doesnt. But keep thinking it does. You're welcome to your opinion. Flooding the game with sellable items with no system of changing their value (such as a vendor saying I have too many of those) or another mechanism is hopelessly inflated. You could just make the armor drop but not be sellable I suppose. But to say that infinite amounts ofdroppable value wont flood the econ is silly.

Vol is right about the ability to have items that rot. EQ is a crappy example of that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Flooding the game with sellable items with no system of changing their value (such as a vendor saying I have too many of those)"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Another maroon! NWN itself allows you to do this. R00fles!

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
"No what? It won't eat up system resources? Bull. NWN keeps track of everything, even when it's not on screen. It may not eat up a whole lot of resources, but it'll tkae up some.

It's just a waste."

It's called scripts, dummy. You know NOTHING. NOTHING at all.

And, as for other games, it's very posisble to have it so items left on ground will vanish after after a certain amount of time passes.

Come on. Use your stupid brains for ocne, and THINk before tleling me I'm wrong. It's embarassing when I'm 100% correct and it's not even about opinion.

LOLOLOLOLLLIPOP

Scripts don't use resources then? They don't sit in memory, take time to execute?

Not to mention the time you wasted writing those scripts for a feature NO ONE will give a flying fuck about.

You're in no position to be telling people how to use a brain....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Scripts don't use resources then? They don't sit in memory, take time to execute?"

Not enough to cry about if done right.

"Not to mention the time you wasted writing those scripts for a feature NO ONE will give a flying fuck about."

I would have to write 0 scripts. Scripts that do this alreayd exist for NWN. Obviously, people give a fuck. I'm not the only one who has brought this up in the past. Next.

"You're in no position to be telling people how to use a brain...."

I might have felt evena little twinge of insulted if this "insult" came form someone with at least a working brain.

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NWN SCRIPTS! AT ALL!

Your words in this threa dproof that.

And, if it's possible in the shitty NWN then it's posisble in VD's AWESOME game.

GOGOGO!!!

EEVIAC

Erudite
From what VD's said about combat you're not going to be clearing maps with 20 enemies, so there's not going to be a flood of saleable items.

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Scripts don't use resources then? They don't sit in memory, take time to execute?"

Not enough to cry about if done right.

That would depend on how good your system was. On low end systems that many people still use a lot of extra scripts can bog things down.

I would have to write 0 scripts. Scripts that do this alreayd exist for NWN. Obviously, people give a fuck. I'm not the only one who has brought this up in the past. Next.

Not enough people care to put that script in the top rated ones... and you still spent time and effort finding the script and integrating it into your module.

I might have felt evena little twinge of insulted if this "insult" came form someone with at least a working brain.

I might be insulted if there wasn't a strong suspicion around here that you're just a bad Bioware AI script.

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NWN SCRIPTS! AT ALL!

Actually I've written a few. Nothing terribly complex, but more than enough to obliterate your ridiculous tautology.

Your words in this threa dproof that.

How do you figure?

And, if it's possible in the shitty NWN then it's posisble in VD's AWESOME game.

Never said it wasn't possible, just said it would eat up resources and was a pointless waste of time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"just said it would eat up resources "

Oh please. The resources it would eat up would hardly be noticable comapred to many other scripts - all you'd need to have a semi logical system for this is to have a script that runs when a PC leaves an area to have items disspeappaeared.

As for not having it in top mods, you on crack? Pretty much every PW has scripts that deal with drops that vanish over time almostd efacto (they must or their game would be slowed down); let alone mods made for single players like mine.

"Actually I've written a few. Nothing terribly complex, but more than enough to obliterate your ridiculous tautology."

A few? You have even less experience in crappy script writing than I do! WOWSERS! Someone even shittier than me! LOL

"How do you figure?"

The fact youa ctually think that the resources (which would take exactly one script if done right) would somehow be so used up . That's plain retarded and can be seen to be so by any one with any knowledge on how NW scripts work - even if the knowledge is basic. There's a reasonw hy PWs as a RULE use these scripts.

Dumbass.

Fez

Erudite
Seeing as the thread has wandered off already: How's the mods coming along Volourn?

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
Oh please. The resources it would eat up would hardly be noticable comapred to many other scripts - all you'd need to have a semi logical system for this is to have a script that runs when a PC leaves an area to have items disspeappaeared.

Yeah, and? I said it would eat up some resources, not hang someone's system you retard.

As for not having it in top mods, you on crack? Pretty much every PW has scripts that deal with drops that vanish over time almostd efacto (they must or their game would be slowed down); let alone mods made for single players like mine.

And yet, no such systems appear in the actual ranked scripts at http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/scriptsTop2.shtml

Just because it's necessary for a PW doesn't mean your average player actually cares or wants to see that feature.

A few? You have even less experience in crappy script writing than I do! WOWSERS! Someone even shittier than me! LOL

*shrug* I just never felt like learning a script language just for making NWN modules. I'd still probably be able to write better scripts than you though...

The fact youa ctually think that the resources (which would take exactly one script if done right) would somehow be so used up . That's plain retarded and can be seen to be so by any one with any knowledge on how NW scripts work - even if the knowledge is basic. There's a reasonw hy PWs as a RULE use these scripts.

I didn't say "so used up." I said it would take up some resources, and implied that it might cause some sluggishness on slower systems such as the p450 I played on for the first few months I owned NWN.

The fact that a PW runs better with that script than it would with leaving every single item drop there to eat up memory does nothing to disprove that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Sarvis:

"I'd still probably be able to write better scripts than you though..."

LOL i don't doubt that. I'm no script wizard. That's for sure. I got lackies doing that for me, and no need for me to do so with a certain Script Gnerator. Hahaha.

"Just because it's necessary for a PW doesn't mean your average player actually cares or wants to see that feature."

Unless you got actual factual numbers to abck you up; you are speaking shitty opinion which means shit. I'll stick with debating facts in this issue.

"I said it would take up some resources"

If you have disucssed this type of script with those who have amde and sued them for PW, you would realzie that this script takes a very small amount of resources - no more than most other other scripts for that matter. Definitely not some major drianings cript that's gonna hurt computer process ESPICIALLY in SP mods where you don't havw to worry about multiple PCs leaving areas every 2 seconds.

Fez:

"Seeing as the thread has wandered off already:"

Hey, I just posted my thoguhts on inventory and equiopment drops. Blame VD for not posting again in this thread as his answer would have ended it. LOL

"How's the mods coming along Volourn?"

The one mod I'm cocnentrating on is going well. I have 40k+ words of dialogue done, all areas are finished, creatures and items are done. I'm heavily into finishing the dialogue now (probably at leats another 20k words to go (the dialogue and the scripts for it is what takes up a lot of my time). After that, it's adding henchmen, editing spells, and QA. I figure if I were to go at the pace I'm going now, 2-3 months; if I slack (which I will lol); add another month or two.

My mod will suck; but all MY BICTHES here will love it OR DIE (except Sarvis who won't play it because IF A DWARF WEARS FULL PLATE IT WILL DROP IF YOU KILL HIM, LOL)! Plus, Sarvis cna't handle role-playing his alignment and will become the Undead's boy toy! :wink: (and, yes, that last part is possible in the mod... seriously :oops: )

The Mod is rated M for Mature due to heavy violence, language in poor taste, and sexual content (no actual sex)!

Vykromond

Scholar
RE: Volourn

Just a question: Why do you expect people to take your opinions seriously if you resort to ad hominem attacks at the first sign of anyone disagreeing with your view?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Just a question: Why do you expect people to take your opinions seriously if you resort to ad hominem attacks at the first sign of anyone disagreeing with your view?"

A. I don't. It depends on the person. Sarvis a known troublemkaer. Just look at his title! It says it all!

B. I have no problem with people disagreeing with my view; it's when they try to pass THEIR opinion off as the MAJORITY's opinion where I have to make them pout and get defenders to protect them.

C. Many people have disagreed with me in the past, and I don't attack them because they disagree INTELLIGENTLY.

Rule of Thumb: Disagree with me intelligently and I'll treat you like a GOD!

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
Sarvis:
LOL i don't doubt that. I'm no script wizard. That's for sure. I got lackies doing that for me, and no need for me to do so with a certain Script Gnerator. Hahaha.

Wow, good for you. Way to claim superiority about something that you need to have other people do for you. Apparently you're pretty uninformed on the subject matter.

Unless you got actual factual numbers to abck you up; you are speaking shitty opinion which means shit. I'll stick with debating facts in this issue.

If only you knew what a fact was. First of all it has to be something that's TRUE. Your tautologies and assertions are generally quite false.

If you have disucssed this type of script with those who have amde and sued them for PW, you would realzie that this script takes a very small amount of resources - no more than most other other scripts for that matter. Definitely not some major drianings cript that's gonna hurt computer process ESPICIALLY in SP mods where you don't havw to worry about multiple PCs leaving areas every 2 seconds.

I never said it did takea lot of resources, stop putting words in my mouth. However one more script that takes just as much resources as all the others starts to add up.

My mod will suck; but all MY BICTHES here will love it OR DIE (except Sarvis who won't play it because IF A DWARF WEARS FULL PLATE IT WILL DROP IF YOU KILL HIM, LOL)! Plus, Sarvis cna't handle role-playing his alignment and will become the Undead's boy toy! :wink: (and, yes, that last part is possible in the mod... seriously :oops: )

Considering the major feature of your module is that every little thing becomes litter on the ground, I'm predicting it will suck. I should be able to play my alignment though, chaotic good is very easy for me to play... I pretty much just act like me. ;)

A. I don't. It depends on the person. Sarvis a known troublemkaer. Just look at his title! It says it all!

You've a far worse reputation around here than I do. I mean, at least no one's ever accused me of being a Bioware AI script! And we ALL know how bad Bioware's AI is. ;)

<font color="#48505F">(I'm sure Volourn will post something idiotic at this point such as: Bioware has great AI, you r teh suxxorz! )</font>

B. I have no problem with people disagreeing with my view; it's when they try to pass THEIR opinion off as the MAJORITY's opinion where I have to make them pout and get defenders to protect them.

Actually I initially just posted that I thought it was pointless, and you immediately attacked me and started spouting nonsense about scripts taking no resources at all.

Again you're putting words in my mouth, though I did eventually say no one would care about that feature it was quite a bit later. Not to mention you've done nothing to prove that ANYONE but you would be interested in the feature, so you are doing exactly waht you are accusing me of.

C. Many people have disagreed with me in the past, and I don't attack them because they disagree INTELLIGENTLY.

Rule of Thumb: Disagree with me intelligently and I'll treat you like a GOD!

The problem being that your definition of "intelligently" is about as good as your definition of "tactics." Explain to us again why Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't have any tactics?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Wow, good for you. Way to claim superiority about something that you need to have other people do for you. Apparently you're pretty uninformed on the subject matter."

Wow. Impressive. Out of that, you get that I have made NO script. You on crack, bubba.

"Your tautologies and assertions are generally quite false."

Not this time.

"I never said it did takea lot of resources, stop putting words in my mouth. However one "more script that takes just as much resources as all the others starts to add up."

You made it sound like this script would kill the mod's framerate. It wonb't. That said, I also never said I was gonna use thes cript. I probably won't; because my mod won't need it since it's SP and let's face it players are pack rats plus my module isn't some 60 hour game either. And, I don't have 2 million enemies ready to be killed.

Considering the major feature of your module is that every little thing becomes litter on the ground"

LOL Who said THAT was the major feature? The matjor feature in the module si that you can beome an Undead's boy toy! :P :wink:

"I'm predicting it will suck."

Yes, it will. Ad, it won't sujck because of poor writing, easy combat, or a retarded story! It will suck, and generally be the worse mod ever because of the cardinal sin of DWARVES DROPPING THE FULL PLATE ARMOUR THEY WERE WEARING! lol

"You've a far worse reputation around here than I do."

So says the dumbfuck! :lol:

"Not to mention you've done nothing to prove that ANYONE but you would be interested in the feature, so you are doing exactly waht you are accusing me of."

I have no nedd to prove it. You are the one who said NO ONE would be intersted in that fetaure. You are the one who mmade the genralziation to begin wih. Only a fool like you would actually believe that EVERYONE shares your opinion on this matter.

DarkSign

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Flooding the game with sellable items with no system of changing their value (such as a vendor saying I have too many of those)"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Another maroon! NWN itself allows you to do this. R00fles!

Every single person wearing armor drops it in NWN? Hmm. Guess I must have played some other hacked/pirated/Indonesian version. Damn you Ex!!

Shagnak said:
Man, Volly LIVES for this shit.

Anyone who comes back to this forum and really gets heated in a post "lives for this shit." Most people couldnt hold a forensic argument in their head if they tried. So this is where we come.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Every single person wearing armor drops it in NWN?"

I never said the OC did it. I said NWN allows you to. There's a difference.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic."

Keep your mum's cock sucking out of this discussion, please. :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Only if your dad takes h is cock out of your ass next time you post"

Never! That's what gives me inspiration to be such a jerk while posting! If that were to happen I might actually have to pretend to be nice!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom