Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Ash

Arcane
Depression Cures:

-No particular games except good games. Escapism is healthy in moderation; don't neglect your responsibilities.
-Get your ass to the gym. This helps with depression a lot. No excuses.
-Eliminate the problem/s causing your depression, if possible/reasonable.
-Mind over matter (if possible/reasonable).
-Get laid (if possible).
-Certain drugs can help.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Try RingFit Adventure or something that will get you active. Im not sure if it was the cause, but my depression broke when I was doing some cardio that I had began to tie into my schedule, so far daily exercise has helped me to manage my mood much better, the endorphin kick really does help elevate my mood and keep me stable throughout the day. Dont worry about what time to do it, just put in some time when you can, about 20-30 minutes of some heart elevation (considering your physical health doctors recommendations blah blah disclaimer lawyerspeak coveringmyasswankfruitery)

Ash

Arcane
It is hard to be positive when the system/people up the chain is ass raping the common man at every turn.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Hentai Games
/Thread

In seriousness though I'd recommend avoiding anything overly crashy and frustration heavy. Don't play anything overly challenging rather instead play something that mostly just goes through the motions.
Also ideally something with a skirmish or roam mode. Civ4 and Col2 are my go tos for when I just want something light and fun because I play it on low difficulty when I'm stressed. I normally play like Homeworld 1 and 2, Age of Empires 2 and Rise of Nations for this sort of thing because you can customise the variables. Settlers is a good one but can be frustrating as the AI in the opensource versions are really good. Rollercoaster Tycoon and Transport Tycoon are both very good at blocking out problems.
My old go to use to be Sim Tower but it doesn't run on modern systems. Very good for blocking out the world if only for a few hours.

Keep in mind games are only used as a distraction from your mental health issues. You are merely just delaying the inevitable so make sure you see a mental health professional because after you get bored with the game you will moodswing heavy in the other direction.
Make sure you all take care of yourselves alright ;).

Semiurge

Cipher
Jones-in-the-Fast-Lane_DOS_EN_screenshot.gif

jones-in-the-fast-lane-cd-rom_1.gif

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Anyone suggested "I have no mouth and i must scream" yet? Then don't do it. And don't read the short story. Or rather, you should read it, it's somewhat famous and disturbing in a good way. Just don't do it while depressed.

As to all the smartasses who talk about mood disorders without any knowledge on the subject I suggest some reading first. Starting with a simple wikipedia article (i know, i know... but one might start there as well) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_depression

In addition: checking magnesium levels cannot hurt you. Very low levels of magnesium can cause some nasty symptoms or be symptoms of a nasty sickness. It can also give off "depression-like" symptoms among other things. It can, in extreme cases, lead to bad diagnosis. I knew of one such case personally (and no, wasn't me).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Anyone suggested "I have no mouth and i must scream" yet? Then don't do it. And don't read the short story. Or rather, you should read it, it's somewhat famous and disturbing in a good way. Just don't do it while depressed.

This is very depressing, anxious and sick story/game, seriously don't read/play it if feeling down.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

This is very depressing, anxious and sick story/game, seriously don't read/play it if feeling down.

It's fine, the torturous psychodramas and all that. As long as you're properly desensitized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom