Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games overfocused on simulation (VO, cutscenes) have weakened gameplay

hajro

Arbiter
Game directors grew up getting shoved into lockers for liking vidya and now try to emulate movies because muh acceptance. "Look how movie like my turd is " please call me director-san like Tarantino SUGE UWU DESU

Gargaune

Arcane
FWIW, Ebert liked The Cosmology of Kyoto, the only game he considered to have merit as a work of art.
I just looked the title up out of curiosity, and Ebert's take on it is having enjoyed it despite still holding that videogames couldn't be art. Either way, I don't think it's worth debating Ebert's opinions on the subject, the man didn't play videogames in general and it was obvious he had no interest in a genuine discussion, he was just bored and taking the piss. I only went into it because I've got an axe to grind with our (still) dismal class of critics - while there are exceptions, many are dilettantes with little understanding of or interest in the medium's proprietary artistic merits aside maybe from plot agency in the scope of that "personalised movies" approach.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
- high production value
- fancy tech bla bla
- pervasive VO (everything voice acted)
- lots of cutscenes or cinematics

Always end up having,

- low replay value
- more or less linear game
- shallow mechanics
- gameplay generally inferior or not as good
BG3 proves this false

Anyway...

I don't think the term "simulation" is adequate for the point you're trying to convey
As games with "simulationalist" elements, tend to be very mechanally oriented

Furthermore I don't agree that linearity is a bad thing
More linearity means that the devs can design a tigher, more focused gameplay experiences
So while an RPG usually doesn't benefit from linearity, more "specialized" game genres do

Ash

Arcane
What was Ebert's argument anyway?
Who cares? dude was given far more prestige than he was worth. The pretentious king of soy boys. I would rather not speak ill of the dead, but this guy should be no voice of authority after shitting on so much greatness. Of the reviews of his I read he came across as a pseudo-intellectual storyfag with no appreciation for concepts that do not fit his shit taste, and certainly had no understanding of video games. Had no business reviewing those. I would respect him more and his specific tastes if he stayed in his lane.

th

I would struggle to take media recommendations from a guy that looks like that. Sorry. Total geek (geek = lame nerd with zero test and taste. Not a cool nerd).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom