Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that got HDR/Bloom right...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
And they have only one option for all effects there meaning that the higher you put it the more effects come into play but never separately.
So this means you can't have SSAO without bloom AND DOF too? :rage:

(the DOF actually makes my eyes hurt from just looking at the screenshots...)

I must admit that in the first set I see very little difference with and without bloom. I'd call that a good use of bloom - things are brighter, as if under direct sunlight, but nothing's glowing.

Anyway thanks for taking the screenshots. I have to say I'm impressed - the game looks fucking beautiful. Even the DOF isn't as bad as in some other games (and I'm guessing it looks better "on the move" too). Why aren't people licensing this engine?

denizsi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
ArmA2 does bloom right. But those glitches do happen on very rare occassions. Like in a very small area with lots of dark space which HDR tries to compensate by lighting it up.

So the glowing soldier is... a congoid?

MetalCraze

Arcane
No you can't have SSAO without DOF. And yes I dislike DOF too. That's why I play with PP set below 'normal' which is where DOF kicks in.

I don't really know any good implementation of DOF in a game, you'll have to trace player's eyes for that, not character's eyes to make it any good.

Twinkle

Liturgist
HDR only shots look excellent - full precision plus carefully tweaked tonemaps. Other post-processing effects (DOF, Glow) unfortunately are of a pretty low quality and make the poor impression.

I don't really know any good implementation of DOF in a game

DOF in games belongs only to cutscenes/dialogs, IMO. There are several games that did such DOF right, StarCraft 2 is the most recent example. Also, it makes sense to add a subtle effect during iron sight aiming but that's pretty much it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
No you can't have SSAO without DOF. And yes I dislike DOF too. That's why I play with PP set below 'normal' which is where DOF kicks in.

I don't really know any good implementation of DOF in a game, you'll have to trace player's eyes for that, not character's eyes to make it any good.

Call of Juarez did it well(or as well as has been done), with the foreground/middle/back blurring depending on where you focused. It also only was noticeable when zooming in to simulate the focusing on a particular area as opposed to others. Subtle and neat. Now, everything on the horizon is blurred out as if covered by some fog, it's not even DOF anymore.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, a subtle DoF effect when zooming or in ironsights is fine (key word: subtle). Blurring everything that's more than a meter away makes my eyes bleed. Same with motion blur. It's a cool effect if it slightly blurs stuff on the very side while you're zipping by at 100mph. It's not so cool when everything blurs because you're "sprinting" at a glorious 5mph.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
Yeah, a subtle DoF effect when zooming or in ironsights is fine (key word: subtle). Blurring everything that's more than a meter away makes my eyes bleed. Same with motion blur. It's a cool effect if it slightly blurs stuff on the very side while you're zipping by at 100mph. It's not so cool when everything blurs because you're "sprinting" at a glorious 5mph.

This blur is atrocious in ArmA 2, it makes me almost physically sick. It's like you're in the 'Nam having tripped acid. Only in NFS Shift did I see the blur done very well, with it only being visible at the very edge of the screen and not all over the place like in GRID, every time you turn a corner(if you really see everything blur like this when you drive, then you shouldn't have drank those 5 liters of Vodka!).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom