Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a 2001 or Moon vibe?

Peter

Arcane
Been itching to play a good sci-fi video game that isn't space opera. Doesn't necessarily have to be hard sci-fi, just feel like it, if you know what I mean. I'd love to play a 2001/Moon/Solaris type thing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
As much as I would share your approval, near-future setting contemplative space adventures don't appear to have been actually made. They always seem to want to make them zany with shitloads of aliens or very, very soft science.

I think you would have better luck searching IF games.

http://wurb.com/if/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's a small indie game called Mr.Robot that somewhat fits your description, but it's a Head Over Heels-esque puzzle game with a JRPG combat system.

EDIT: There's also Tecno: The Base (not a typo) that is much closer to your description, but I advise you to steer well away from that one.

Free demos are available for both games for you to try out.

DraQ

Arcane
Peter said:
Been itching to play a good sci-fi video game that isn't space opera. Doesn't necessarily have to be hard sci-fi, just feel like it, if you know what I mean. I'd love to play a 2001/Moon/Solaris type thing.
Depends how much vibe you want, as proper hard SF games are a rare commodity.

Early missions in Nexus: TJI feature very odyssey-esque ships (except it's a tactical game, so the ships are warships, even though they are designed to look like actual spacecraft) and somewewhat "real space" vibe, so you might try it.

Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters focus on huge, astronomically correct systems and Newtonian spaceflight, so while not quite Odyssey, they feel pretty authentic.

If you want to get really hardcore, there is Orbiter, but it's not an actual game. :P

Anyway, I'm interested in what else may come up in this thread.
:salute:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
A likely candidate might be the Hollow Moon mod for UT2004. Not finished — probably never will be — but quite nice. Or maybe Homeworld?

Does it have to involve people? Because I got Osmos and SpaceChem in mind but I do not think it is what you're looking for.

Not set in space but with themes similar to 2001 or Solaris — and some equally good mastery of them — you may want to check out Cryostasis and The Void.

I'll probably get some flak for it but there is always Dead Space … It does the "isolated in space" thing pretty good, nicely tense atmosphere, awesome Zero G areas, and it borrows some story elements of Solaris — nothing deep at all, but it's welcome. Fun romp.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Check out Battlezone from 1998. It features US and Soviet forces fighting across the planets of the solar system in an alternate 1960's. There's some fantastic technology, alien artifacts and such, but it's of the subtle and mysterious kind rather than space opera silliness.

It also happens to be a cracking good game, one of my favorites from the late 90's.

I assume you've already played Alpha Centauri? Probably the best sci-fi setting ever in a game.

Raapys

Arcane
For adventure games there are The Dig and Gateway 1&2, probably lots of others as well.

And +1 for Battlezone, pure awesomeness. Easily one of the best games I've ever played. You also have Archimedean Dynasty, an underwater sub-simulation with a definite sci-fi vibe. Another of my favorite games.

DraQ

Arcane
genci88 said:
System Shock 2 :smug:
System Shock 2, for all its awesomeness can give a hard SF minded person brain aneurysm.

No, not because of Psi, "psychocreative" substances or rather arbitrary hyperdrive mess towards the end.
No, it's because of "subatomic nanites" and grove somehow ending up on Tau Ceti V.

Spacechem, OTOH does have this kind of vibe (based on demo), even though general mechanics might make a chemist wince a bit, so I'm recommending it along with both Frontiers.

And Nexus if it's primarily about pretty hard SF starships.

Mantiis

Cipher
Alien Legacy kinda gave me that feeling. Good game that one if a little flawed.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well I meant the series as a whole, difficult to decide which part is best. Frontier rips off Kubricks classical music idea, so OP should play that.

lightbane

Arcane
There's Moon, a DS FPS game that's also Scifi without overdone space opera elements.

DraQ

Arcane
asper said:
Well I meant the series as a whole, difficult to decide which part is best. Frontier rips off Kubricks classical music idea, so OP should play that.
I think it's a tribute, it's not that you can play Frontier without ever watching Odyssey. :obviously:

In any case, Elite is a foundation upon which the entire genre was built, but it's also sort of obsolete since it has been improved upon in about every way imaginable. FE2 and FFE, OTOH, are pretty much unique. And both are stellar (no pun intended) games, although it took many years of concerted user efforts to uplift FFE from its obvious beta alpha status.

Peter

Arcane
Not to sound like an ungrateful ass, but I'd prefer action and adventure games to strategy games. I guess the personal stories as opposed to a grand setting is why I really love the movies listed, and I'm looking for a similar experience in a game.

The Dig looks really cool. System Shock is great as well, but not exactly what I meant. Same goes for Alpha Centauri.

I couldn't stand the sluggish controls and the camera of Dead Space. It's more Event Horizon than Space Odyssey anyway, it seems.

The only good thing to come of Moonbase Alpha is this video.

Thanks for the recommendations, though! I'll check some of these out.

Ermm

Erudite
Martian Gothic: Unification has an interesting premise, and even though I am one of the rare ones who like this game, still it has some serious faults.

But mood and atmosphere were very good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom