Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Games Workshop takes the hatchet to Age of Sigmar, fans are Big Mad (TM)

Caim

Arcane
Nine years ago Games Workshop decided to axe Warhammer Fantasy in favor of a new game, Age of Sigmar. This was because Fantasy sales were worse than either individual 40k armies, paint, or the Space Marine Tactical Squad box, depending on who you believe. Entire armies got axed in favor of new stuff, with said new stuff being ridiculed for either being just fantasy Space Marines (the Stormcast Eternals, mockingly called the Ground Marines or the Sigmarines) or looking extremely stupid (the steampunk dwards who have top hats, monocles and facial hair modelled onto their helmets). But as time went on it found its place, more armies came out, existing armies were expanded (one of the recent ones, the Flesheater Courts, turning into a proper army instead of just being the ghouls, Varghulf and zombie dragon from the Vampire Counts army roster) and things kind of calmed down. The game's approaching its 4th edition now, cutting off some of the chaff it had gathered over the years (3e AoS was a bloated mess of a game, just like 9e 40k). But then on April 4th Games Workshop decided to drop this info:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/04/whats-leaving-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-range/

To trim down the fat on the miniature lines Games Workshop decided to removes quite a few miniatures from their lines. While a few of them will be updated, a significant chunk won't be back. This includes some two dozen units and characters from the Stormcast Eternals line, with the more magically inclined of the bunch being removed permanently. Some of their base infantry will be updated, like the Liberators:

Oj5av8oBYX5pKSps.jpg

Left the old model, middle the newly announced update, right a more recent model that the update is modelled after.

Next up are the Skaven. The skaven infamously have models dating back to the 90s, with a fair number of them having never been updated to plastic. For now they lose most of their weapon teams, several characters including the now generic character that once was Ikit Claw (playable in Total Warhammer) and two of their basic infantry units. Only the Clanrats are still on sale, but they're Last Chance to Buy with no new models in sight. So if you like Skaven now a shit time to play. They will be the main antagonst of 4e Age of Sigmar, like how Chaos was in 1e, Nagash in 2e and the armies of Destruction in 3e, so they'll likely get their time to shine.

But it gets worse. The Bonesplittez Orks used to be one of the three types of Orks you could field in Age of Sigmar alongside the heavily armored 'Ardboyz and the sneaky Kruleboyz (one is brutally kunnin', the other kunninly brutal). The Bonesplitterz were the savaage orks, running around in loincloths with carved stone weapons. All of these models, including the generic hero that once was Wurrzag (also playable in Total Warhammer), have gotten the boot.

Next there is Warcry. This is a skirmish game where a large variety of Chaos warbands duke it out to gain the favor of the Everchosen. Some of these warbands were really out there, forming a mix of new stuff and things based on older material (like human worshippers of Hashut, the Chaos Dwarf god). Because these clash with the visual theme of the normal Chaos army, and since the Marauders have gotten an upgrade and a namechange that GW can copyright, almost a dozen of them get the boot as well.

Other assorted models here include Valkia the Bloody (who infamously got the shit kicked out of her in her own Total Warhammer trailer) and Drycha of the more tree-aligned part of the Wood Elves (also in Total Warhammer).

Now, all of these will be booted to Legends, meaning that Games Workshop will be making rules for them, but they won't be in the main game and won't be tournament legal. They just get rules so that they remain playable. But there's one army that got shafted even harder, no lube.

The Beastmen, the red-haired stepchild of Chaos and the underdog since as long as I can remember (and I remember the times of 6e, aka 20 years ago), are going to be removed from Age of Sigmar entirely. Yes, their entire miniature line gets the boot. And where do they get booted to? Warhammer: The Old World. Yes, the Fantasy remake is getting the Beastmen because the main game doesn't want them. An entire fucking faction is getting Squatted, something we haven't seen since... well, the launch of Age of Sigmar. Sure there's a few armies that keep their own brands: the Slaanesh army keep their rape goats and the Tzaangors remain in both Age of Sigmar and 40k (much to the chagrin of Thousand Sons fans), but as of everything else in the Beastmen line, including miniatures that have been around since the Beastmen first got their own army book (6th edition) will now be axed in its entire in one fell swoop.

Now obviously, the Age of Sigmar fanbase is NOT amused. The most vocal ones are the Stormcast fans who just had their entire army list invalidated and not being able to field them in normal games. This isn't the WAAC crowd for whom buying a new army every year because that one is now the best is part and parcel: these are people who like an army of armored up lightning wizards zapping their enemies. Or Beastmen fans who have gotten so used to being shat on for two decades who have now been shown the door. It is unknown if the Savage Orks will make their return in The Old World, and we don't know which parts of the Skaven line makes its return. Sure I understand that GW cannot indefinitely maintain every single model kit they sell, but in case of the Warcry stuff some of these boxes aren't even two years old.

So that's what's going on in Age of Sigmar right now. I'll see if I can keep the salt flowing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
idk why people are upset: fantasy spehhsmarines got axed, and you will play in old world with beastmen instead of ageofshitmar

After Legends concept got introduced, it was a red flag for everyone with half a brain game is moving to live service :happytrollboy:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
idk why people are upset: fantasy spehhsmarines got axed, and you will play in old world with beastmen instead of ageofshitmar

After Legends concept got introduced, it was a red flag for everyone with half a brain game is moving to live service :happytrollboy:
Fantasy Marines had an impossible task of equaling 40K marines, with an inferior design to boot with (I mean these face masks have much less personality than either Chaos Warrior helmets or Space Marines helmets).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yea they just suck. Most of wahafantasy style came from plagued holy roman empire and pop fantasy of 80s, that lame nu mtg designs never could aquire same level of perfected artistic identity.

And like ok, you have 1 superhero setting already. Leave your fantasy for grim peasants with pitchforks and zealous knights, it's a perfect fit.

Caim

Arcane
Another thing to note is that GW is saying that you'll be able to use your own models when the new stuff comes out.

Thing is, they promised the same thing when they introduced the Primaris Marines, and yet several of the old units have been axed (RIP boxnaught). So they're not falling for it again.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Wait whats Warhammer:The Old world? Are they re releasing Warhammer Fantasy?

Have they finally decided their design team has been on drugs and that AoS needs the bin?

Caim

Arcane
Wait whats Warhammer:The Old world? Are they re releasing Warhammer Fantasy?

Have they finally decided their design team has been on drugs and that AoS needs the bin?
After several years they finally released The Old World, a new version of the old Warhammer Fantasy. Set during the time of the previous Everchosen some two centuries prior to the "current day", they finally decided to bring only a few armies back for the fun:

CsKw43KLHs5Rr4ot.jpg

Bretonnia and the Tomb Kings, who both got Squatted with the move to Age of Sigmar, have been re-released almost in full with the Orks & Goblins being back as well (they were split into two different armies for Age of Sigmar). There's also a few new models: the Tomb Kings got a new monster and some characters while the Bretons got a few dismounted knights (and they took the opportunity to introduce lady knights as a common sight in the ranks, because of course they did). More armies on their way.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Awesome! I was just looking at my bretonnia edition boxset (cant remember which ed that was) and thinking it would be cool if it got a rerelease. Used to play WE too so my bases covered.

Never did any AoS, avoided it like the plague.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nine years ago Games Workshop decided to axe Warhammer Fantasy in favor of a new game, Age of Sigmar. This was because Fantasy sales were worse than either individual 40k armies, paint, or the Space Marine Tactical Squad box, depending on who you believe.
Are you sure?

Because in my experience (which goes back to the mid-90s for Warhammer Fantasy) it was all about trademarks and copyrights.

Some smaller model studio decided to make models called 'Space Marines', GW got mad and sued them, but the court sided with the small studio, arguing that the term was "too generic".

So GW went over their entire model line with a fine tooth comb, found Warhammer Fantasy to be full of generically-named models, and axed the whole lot... only to re-release them for Age of Sigmar with new names protected by trademarks and copyrights owned fully by Games Workshop.

All Orcs became Orks.

Savage Orcs became Bonesplittez Orks.
Black Orcs (I'm assuming) became 'Ardboyz.
Night Goblins (I'm assuming) became Kruleboyz.

Skeletons became Deathrattlers.
Zombies became Deadwalkers IIRC.
Vampires became Vamphyr IIRC.

All the humans got non-generic names, and so did the Dwarfs, and the lizards and the elves and whatever else I missed.

But the Skaven - they are a purebred original GW creation through and through. I think they were almost untouched as a result.

But now we're back here again, Warhammer Fantasy coming back, while Age of Sigmar gets a kick in the nuts. It's been 15+ years since I last played anything Warhammer-related, but it's been fun to rubberneck the shitshow since then.

Oh, and the Beastmen have been the red-headed stepchild of the Chaos forces since before my time. It wasn't until 6th edition that enough ideas came together to justify them as a separate army - and this coming from someone who played Chaos Dwarfs since 1996.

Caim

Arcane
Nine years ago Games Workshop decided to axe Warhammer Fantasy in favor of a new game, Age of Sigmar. This was because Fantasy sales were worse than either individual 40k armies, paint, or the Space Marine Tactical Squad box, depending on who you believe.
Are you sure?

Because in my experience (which goes back to the mid-90s for Warhammer Fantasy) it was all about trademarks and copyrights.

Some smaller model studio decided to make models called 'Space Marines', GW got mad and sued them, but the court sided with the small studio, arguing that the term was "too generic".

So GW went over their entire model line with a fine tooth comb, found Warhammer Fantasy to be full of generically-named models, and axed the whole lot... only to re-release them for Age of Sigmar with new names protected by trademarks and copyrights owned fully by Games Workshop.

All Orcs became Orks.

Savage Orcs became Bonesplittez Orks.
Black Orcs (I'm assuming) became 'Ardboyz.

Skeletons became Deathrattlers.
Zombies became Deadwalkers IIRC.
Vampires became Vamphyr IIRC.

All the humans got non-generic names, and so did the Dwarfs, and the lizards and the elves and whatever else I missed.

But the Skaven - they are a purebred original GW creation through and through. I think they were almost untouched as a result.

But now we're back here again, Warhammer Fantasy coming back, while Age of Sigmar gets a kick in the nuts. It's been 15+ years since I last played anything Warhammer-related, but it's been fun to rubberneck the shitshow since then.

Oh, and the Beastmen have been the red-headed stepchild of the Chaos forces since before my time. It wasn't until 6th edition that enough ideas came together to justify them as a separate army - and this coming from someone who played Chaos Dwarfs since 1996.
It's what I've been reading for years. Sure it's all internet hearsay, but if names were the issue they would have changed everything years ago. Sure you can't copyright generic knight looking dudes, but if you called them Bretonnian Chivaliers or something it'd be alright. Sure they changed all the names later down the line, ranging from giving all the Primaris squads their own names to changing the name of the Tau to T'au because even GW cannot copyright a letter in the Greek alphabet and one of the Tyranids' new units being Von Ryan's Leapers (the name is not new, but they gladly reused it), and a few of the units that GW didn't make models for got exiled as well (most notably the Parasite of Mortrex of the Tyranids, but that one came back last edition).

And most notably, even IF this was the case all the returning models would've been given funky names instead of just being the Grail Knights or Tomb Guard again. Hell, just look at Total Warhammer.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Another thing to note is that GW is saying that you'll be able to use your own models when the new stuff comes out.

Thing is, they promised the same thing when they introduced the Primaris Marines, and yet several of the old units have been axed (RIP boxnaught). So they're not falling for it again.
AoS had legacy armies from the start. Wood elves were renamed Wanderers and never really resurfaced from the legacy books despite having a decent range.
Gloomspire gits is the night gobbos. Kruleboyz are Dark soulsised hob goblins.
And most notably, even IF this was the case all the returning models would've been given funky names instead of just being the Grail Knights or Tomb Guard again. Hell, just look at Total Warhammer.
Any one who plays a GW game gets what they deserve. GW is so paranoid about 3rd parties making expansion products they actively harm their own one. The way models are cut now is to make it impossible to sell them in pieces or to make reasonable replacement parts. It makes building modern GW models a nightmare.
Good thing I use One Page Rules’ Age of Fantasy. Otherwise I might actually care.
What factions do you play?
Why is anyone even still buying models when 3D printers exist?
Because they're totally different things. I own several 3d printers but I also buy commercial models because I enjoy building them. 3D printing isn't an easy nut to crack due to the toxicity of resin and it's not the same as opening a new box, clipping things off the frame and going to town with the hobby knife. There's also some models that do poorly when printed like spears. Plastic is more survivable than even ABS resin and that's an issue if you're some historical fag printing pikes longer than your dick.

Shig

Novice
AoS is shit, but GW starting this trend is... well, not surprising, but shit nonetheless.

They stealthily axed some 40k stuff as well, the Dark Angel's Lieutenant (lmao, as if DA players haven't been assfucked enough), some Daemon units, and the unsurprising removal of older (better) Combat Patrol boxes.

Hell Swarm

Educated
AoS is shit, but GW starting this trend is... well, not surprising, but shit nonetheless.
GW constantly squat stuff but they don't make a big announcement usually. They stop making the models then quietly drop them from the rule book next edition. The latest 40k edition went back to codexs and simplified unit profiles to the point of most Tau armies being illegal to field wargear wise. And they didn't even do what 3rd ed did with Eldar Lasguns where White Dwarf had a small panel saying Imperials often mistake Eldar shrunken catapults for lasguns.

Caim

Arcane
Another duo that got their rules axed recently were Zahndrekh and Obyron from the Necrons codex. You can still buy their minis, but if you want to field them they are now generic Necron lords instead of the robot Jeeves and Wooster they used to be.

Shig

Novice
The latest 40k edition went back to codexs and simplified unit profiles to the point of most Tau armies being illegal to field wargear wise.
You're talking about my (primary) army my brother, they came up with a brilliant way to fuck anyone who didn't magnetize their crisis suits.

GW does do this quite a bit, but the AoS nukes are surprisingly aggressive.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You're talking about my (primary) army my brother, they came up with a brilliant way to fuck anyone who didn't magnetize their crisis suits.
Sorry to hear that. I hope we can find a cure to being a homo for you Tau players some time soon. In the mean time try... playing a better game.

Hell Swarm

Educated
My BT's balance out my thirst for melee.
Oh, so you're the Clive Barker kind of faggot? What's your thoughts on Hellraiser? Homo eroticism hiding as horror or the horrors of homo culture presented to the public unedited?

Shig

Novice
Homo eroticism hiding as horror or the horrors of homo culture presented to the public unedited?
I have no idea what you're talking about, so I am just going to assume you're flirting with me.

And as you are most certainly not a mecha, I have no interest in you and will have to decline.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Homo eroticism hiding as horror or the horrors of homo culture presented to the public unedited?
I have no idea what you're talking about, so I am just going to assume you're flirting with me.

And as you are most certainly not a mecha, I have no interest in you and will have to decline.
Clive Barker is a homo and Hellraiser is a BDSM horror movie. It's heavily implied it's homo culture made into a horror film.

I might be a robot. You don't know me! Have you seen some of the stupid shit I've posted on codex?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom