Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameTap praises MotB - 7/10

Shannow

Waster of Time
cardtrick said:
Shannow said:
I was alble to make my Bard1/RDD10/Fighter12/Dwarven Defender7 because of all those lawful points. So not only are the alignment changes not fully reasonable from a roleplaying point of view, but they also encourage metagaming
Nothing encourages that. That's just unholy.
Nope, I even had a backround that would have explained the composition (, although it is mostly a munchkin-power-gaming-build). Problem was getting enough lawful points to get my dwarven defender levels. I wasn't in the mood to replay the OC and I'm not sure if there are enough lawful points in MotB for a shift from neutral to lawful. So I abused suppress *shrugs*
Of course I had the concept before I had the game, so it didn't "encourage" anything, but it made it possible...

As I said, that is not a part I see the need to discuss.

Texas Red

Whiner
Elric is the bigest emo, like, ever. And he doesnt even have a cause to be one. He gets laid, power, friends, adventure or whatever else he wants.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
Elric is the bigest emo, like, ever. And he doesnt even have a cause to be one. He gets laid, power, friends, adventure or whatever else he wants.
Ah, to be young again and think that money, power, and ass are the secret to happiness.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Now that you understand the basic idea, here are the two different paths the game offers.

The good path: You consider your affliction a curse. You suppress your hunger, thus significantly slowing your need to feed. Eventually you acquire "good" feats like Eternal Rest, which restores your spirit energy without increasing your hunger. Soon (very soon) your hunger is pretty much at zero and you can focus on finding a way to get rid of the curse permanently.

The evil path: You realize that you've been given a power and that only a fool would give it up. You devour spirits and eventually learn to devour souls. You gain very powerful spirit essences this way and once you fully unleash your gift, you'll gain significant combat bonuses.

So, what does it all mean? It means that if you are a good person, you can pretty much ignore this feature by suppressing your hunger and enjoy what it adds to the dialogues. If you are an evil bastard, you can "go with the flow" and become very powerful through the extra spirit essences, feats, and abilities. However, all that power - and that's the brilliant part - comes with a price. You must constantly look for spirits to feed on to stay alive and quite a few times you'll be barely alive, unable to lift a sword. (How very Elric, btw). Compare that to Knights of the Old Republic, for example, where the difference between good and evil is purely cosmetic as both sides are equally balanced and it doesn't cost you anything to join the Dark Side.

The only problem with the spirit meter is the alignment adjustments. Whenever you make a spirit system related choice, you gain a few alignment points, becoming more Lawful, for example. Since the DnD alignment system is subject to many interpretations, some players will disagree with how the spirit system handles your alignment. I don't think it's a big deal, to be honest, but if you care a lot about this aspect, I'd suggest getting a mod that can remove and change the adjustment to fit your own alignment beliefs.

This is what we were going for.

The issue that arose, and I have no idea if it was the intention or not since I am not one of the designers, was how difficult it became to be chaotic good.

I think if we had just limited the alignment shifts to evil and good, it might have been easier to manage.

Most people who played evil, probably didn't fully embrace the evil and the spirit hunger because they were put off to much by the initial stat penalties of hunger.

Anyway, this is just my speculation and anecdotal observations.

Starwars

Arcane
That would be my guess again.

But like I've said before, I managed to play a Neutral Evil character using only Supress (outside of conversations) and I really didn't feel like I had a hard time with it (and I ended with the same alignment). That said, Chaotic Good might be more difficult since most alignment shifts (at least from what I remember) since Good and Lawful often comes in pairs, and the same with Evil and Chaotic. Still, I really think it can be done.
I suppose the trouble comes when a player feels like he has to act out of character in a choice, to sort of "counter" the alignment shifts that the Spirit-Meter abilities might bring.

Though I think people often roleplay within very rigid walls of alignment, instead of trying to develop a personality for their characters. It does of course become a problem if you're playing a class that's alignment restricted.
More reasons to skip the whole alignment system I say. :P

Isn't the whole alignment shifts something that could be adressed in a patch though?

Helton

Arcane
elander_ said:
Buaaaaa buaaaa the codex doesn't allow people to criticize Mask of the Betrayer buaaaa buaaa.

I never even mentioned "The Codex" or what it allows. Watch how I can beat up the strawman!

Vault Dweller said:
Nice try.

Pug made a long post stating that because of the idiotic complaints about the spirit meter, "he next time a company decides to implement an interesting, challenging and perhaps slightly controversial feature in their games they'll think twice about it."

Yes, and I disagree with the sentiment that the people who complain about the Spirit Meter "refuse to think". I also don't see how "thinking twice" is a bad thing in game design. The same strategy should be applied to Obsidian's influence system. Think twice, please!

He's absolutely right about it and to be fair, he does mention the alignment issue. That's when you started ranting.

I'd hardly call it a rant.

Here is the big picture.

A) The spirit meter is an interesting feature
B) With all its flaws it adds a LOT to the game.
C) It's been butchered in every review, so it's safe to assume that Obsidian will not include unconventional features ever again.
D) Nobody says it's a flawless feature, but it's not as bad as the reviewers presented it.

A) Yarp.
B) The meter itself? No. The related plot device is the game, and that does add a lot. The meter didn't add much else than a minor annoyance to my game.
C) That's bullshit. But if they take from the complaining "let's never take risks again" instead of "maybe we should have done that differently" then fuck them. It's an appeal to "mommy won't love me"ism and a poor tactic.
D) No argument.

That's a dumb analogy. You make it sound like the entire purpose of the spirit-meter is to help you role-play your alignment better.

You're basically asking me "other than what you don't like about it, which I agree with, what don't you like about it?" I picked Hitler because I'm intellectually lazy and that was the first thing I knew we'd see eye to eye on. You never seemed to aknowledge my "encourages metagaming" complaint.

And now here is a sneak preview of my MotB review. Readers discretion is strongly advised.
-snip-
If you failed to understand this feature, odds are you a fucking moron.
-snip-
The only problem with the spirit meter is the alignment adjustments.
-snip-
I don't think it's a big deal, to be honest, but if you care a lot about this aspect, I'd suggest getting a mod that can remove and change the adjustment to fit your own alignment beliefs.

Who "failed to understand" the Spirit Meter? Is this similiar to "if you don't like the Daily Show Yu dun't get satire"? You can fully understand something, see it's implementation and still say "Man they really missed the mark with that one".

And, no, the alignment adjustments are not the only problem.

-SPOILERS-
Playing a Lawful Good character: the Spirit Meter was, of course, easy to deal with. But everything's ass backwards about it. Everything's too fast.

I take a six day trip to Ashenwood and lose, what, six points on the meter? After an hour of play I've lost another 15 or 20, I think. I have four options:

1) Take a stat penalty for a while and just play through it.
2) Devour some innocent spirits; changing my allignment and increasing my hunger which has distasteful long term consequences.

Those are fine options, nothing wrong with them.

3) Camp out by some spirits, summon a few elementals, and "supress-rest-repeat" several times to get my meter up.
4) Go back to Shadow Mulsantir and "Eternal Rest" the undead spirits.

These are meta-gaming. They break character. There's no way I'd make a two-way six day journey to replenish the energy I lost in an hour. I shouldn't be able to "supress-rest-repeat", it's a bloody curse. I could survive forever doing that. But these last two options are the more appealing.

A much slower but more permanent approach would have been vastly superior.

Keldorn

Scholar
BloodyJellySubmarine said:
"And finally, indulge my personal curiosity: which words in Keldorn's post rate as "big" in your vocabulary? Thanks"

To be earnest, Keldorn is obviously a well-read individual, and I was just giving him some shit. Bigger words da betta.

Keldorn, you emphasize the word games in your last post so if we replace the word games with books does the statement still ring true? We're not talking about pong here. We're talking about "what can change the nature of man," nuclear bomb aftermath, false religions, and now MOTB, which is supposedly similar in nature to PST. Why are you exaggerating? Does it make life more exciting? Do you wish you lived a life of fiction?

So maybe these games *occasionally* become high-art games, still, they are games. They're like our own personal, whimsical, ideal escapist activity. Eventually, they might advance to a state of virtual reality technology, where the penalties & benefits become integrated within both the game realm, and the simultaneous non-game contemporary world-realm.

THEN they'll be some serious, SIGNIFICANT & IMPACTFUL gamer opinions exchanged, with some serious feelings seriously HURT.

(Imo, Virtual Reality Technology will be implemented and refined within 20-30 years... along with the Neural Computer. The game will then BECOME contemporary reality, rather than being principally seperate & disconnected from it, from a tangible & physical perspective...)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Helton said:
-SPOILERS-
Playing a Lawful Good character: the Spirit Meter was, of course, easy to deal with. But everything's ass backwards about it. Everything's too fast.

I take a six day trip to Ashenwood and lose, what, six points on the meter? After an hour of play I've lost another 15 or 20, I think. I have four options:

2) Devour some innocent spirits; changing my allignment and increasing my hunger which has distasteful long term consequences.

3) Camp out by some spirits, summon a few elementals, and "supress-rest-repeat" several times to get my meter up.

These are meta-gaming. They break character. There's no way I'd make a two-way six day journey to replenish the energy I lost in an hour. I shouldn't be able to "supress-rest-repeat", it's a bloody curse. I could survive forever doing that. But these last two options are the more appealing.

A much slower but more permanent approach would have been vastly superior.

This is very well put and I agree with it completely. I still approve of the Spirit Meter in concept and even sort of in practice, but it is deeply flawed. Which in no way changes the fact that MOTB is a kickass game.

Keldorn

Scholar
Is the spirit-meter a mandatory & permanent large icon which can't be ignored ? Continually & stressfully beaming ? Like the stupid clock-pendulum at the bottom-left corner of the BG2 screen ?

If so, Keldorn is potentially scared and iiirrrriiitated by the spirit-meter. Sprit-meter might make Keldorn cry. Keldorn might even commence boycotts on the basis of sprit meter opposition sentiment.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vault Dweller said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Ah, to be young again and think that money, power, and ass are the secret to happiness.

Pardon me for thinking that having love, friends and being economically secured and much more can make a person happy.

Noceur

Liturgist
Although love without getting laid can make you unhappy too (as much as vice versa). Actually, in many ways it's like the spirit-meter.
You think The Witcher will have a sex-meter?

Vault Dweller

Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
Vault Dweller said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

Pardon me for thinking that having love, friends and being economically secured and much more can make a person happy.
Happiness is a fickle bitch. She gets bored easily. I remember touching a girl's breasts for the first time... It was exciting and almost mystical. Now it's merely amusing. I remember finally getting a 50k salary and thinking "wow, I finally made it. 50k... I can't believe how much money I'm earning". 5 years later I refused a 125k offer being genuinely insulted by it. You want something, you finally get it - much happiness. Then as time goes buy your happiness meter starts dropping slowly and if you want to be truly happy again, you must do something different, reach a new goal, experience new things, etc.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I remember touching a girl's breasts for the first time... Now it's merely amusing.

Your conflation with Todd Howard is nearly complete - BOOBIES!!! It's true what you say though, a friend pointed out to me that the fun, the rush, of driving fast lies not in whatever speed is finally obtained, but the acceleration...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Helton said:
Yes, and I disagree with the sentiment that the people who complain about the Spirit Meter "refuse to think".
So, what do you think of people who claim that evil path is almost unplayable because of the spirit meter?

B) The meter itself? No. The related plot device is the game, and that does add a lot. The meter didn't add much else than a minor annoyance to my game.
1) The meter makes you mortal in a game where for all intents and purposes you are immortal. Therefore it's a good thing.

2) The meter is a ration system equivalent, especially if you are playing evil. You go down into a dungeon. Do you have enough spirit energy to fight efficiently (without severe penalties)? Would you be able to find something to feed on down there or should you take care of your hunger now?

3) The meter is the balance to your uber evil powers. It's the price you pay for what you gained. That's the part I like the most. We've had several discussions here about things that affect your character. For example, I easily sent the merchants to their death to gain a new evil power. I just killed a family, basically, but needless to say it didn't affect me as much as a real life situation would. So, how do you represent a personal sacrifice, a price you must pay for something in a video game? The meter is a pretty damn good idea. While most people wouldn't care about the lives of a few pixels, they would care a lot about anything that affect their own pile of pixels negatively.

C) That's bullshit. But if they take from the complaining "let's never take risks again" instead of "maybe we should have done that differently" then fuck them.
Yeah, fuck 'em. Can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. M I RIGHT? *sigh*

I'm sure they will try to improve things as MotB shows a lot of improvements. However, a lot of reviews stated that the spirit meter sucked, made the game unplayable, and was a bad idea in general. From the last 3 reviews:

"....there is one element that left me ping-ponging between outright hatred and resigned annoyance: the spirit-meter. Without getting into story details, it essentially turns you into a drug addict. <snip> This sounds interesting in theory, but I got annoyed that when I would rest to recover life and magic, the spirit meter still drains. My evil character was forced to "eat" to raise the meter, as the other way of combating the hunger results in your character becoming good, which can screw with certain classes that have alignment restrictions. And because you're forced to wait five minutes between "eatings," I found myself not "eating" fast enough due to the cooldown period, and was even forced to give up experience points to stave off my hunger. Sometimes, it's a mild nuisance, but for me, it was a major headache."

"Not every new feature in Mask of the Betrayer is a home run. The game's most controversial addition is undoubtedly the spirit hunger that consumes your character. This hunger acts like a drug addiction, and it can be completely frustrating at first because the mechanics are confusing. It's too bad that developer Obsidian doesn't let players opt out of this mechanic entirely. This hunger system is probably a boon to hardcore role-playing fans who enjoy making tough decisions, but those who enjoyed NWN2 as a fun romp are apt to be frustrated."

"On a purely mechanical level, the spirit meter ends up being more annoyance than fun. First, unintended loops in the mechanics make it much easier to control the meter by doing things that would be classified as "good." That puts evil characters at a tremendous disadvantage as they are forced to choose between playing their alignment and staying alive. Not only does that unfairly advantage one set of player choices, from a role-playing/story standpoint it's actually the reverse of what the mechanic was supposed to accomplish."

Who "failed to understand" the Spirit Meter?
90% of the reviewers. See above. Especially the last paragraph.

-SPOILERS-

First, there is nothing wrong with a -1 stat penalty. End of the world it's not. Second, you can suppress your hunger once, without camping or summoning. There are plenty of spirits in the forest and suppressing in front of them increases your spirit energy. Third, there is a human spirit you can devour via a dialogue option in a non-evil way - he will offer to sacrifice himself to help you replenish the sacred pool.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, ever since Wizardry 7 I have never, ever abused rest ever again, because 10.000 gp for a map piece are really fucking much.

Why don't you make reviewers/players play Wizardry 7, so they can learn not to abuse rest?

Different question, why can't more games penalise you for abusing the engine like that? That would have been cool in NWN. You rested 50 times in Act 1? Well, sorry, but everyone died by the plague by then, game over. I miss those "fuck you!" moments from old games. Took too long getting the map pieces in RoA 1? Screw you, game over. Spent too much time in Lowangen/Gashok in RoA 2 and have enemies in that town? They murder you in your sleep, game over. Wizardry 7, didn't get a move on trying to get the puzzle maps? Well, good luck finding them- NPCs got them now and are killing each other so you can never really know who has it and have to scan the whole world twice to ever find the missing pieces again.

Those, my friends, were good times.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vault Dweller said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Vault Dweller said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

Happiness is a fickle bitch. She gets bored easily. I remember touching a girl's breasts for the first time... It was exciting and almost mystical. Now it's merely amusing. I remember finally getting a 50k salary and thinking "wow, I finally made it. 50k... I can't believe how much money I'm earning". 5 years later I refused a 125k offer being genuinely insulted by it. You want something, you finally get it - much happiness. Then as time goes buy your happiness meter starts dropping slowly and if you want to be truly happy again, you must do something different, reach a new goal, experience new things, etc.

That is why Elric went to have adventures. One day he will be sacking his home city and the next he will try to escape the clutches of a queen who craves his penis. He has no right to whine because he has everything. The fat, ugly guy down the streets who wont ever get a woman has the right, and so does the dude who works 3 jobs and fills his days with mindless and joyless, trivial tasks. Elric is yet another alter-ego of a writer who fulfills his fantasies through writing.

Jasede said:
Getting laid isn't love, young padawan.

Elric got both laid and true companionship. Every women, all of them hot, wanted him.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fair enough, I don't know the character so I can't tell. Maybe his life still seems empty. We humans are strange and complex and it is hard to say what makes us happy, since it's different for each of us since we all have our priorities weighted differently.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I assume you haven't read the Elric sage then. I highly recommend. The author is Michael Moorcock.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric

"Elric presents an excellent example of a counterstereotype, because he was written specifically as the polar opposite of Robert E. Howard's Conan and similar fantasy heroes. Instead of a mighty-thewed barbarian warrior who fights his way from obscurity to achieve fame and power, Elric is a frail, sickly albino, a highly-educated and cultured (often downright decadent) emperor who abandons his throne. Whereas the conventional fantasy hero rescues fair maidens from evil wizards and monsters and defends his country from invaders, Elric (inadvertently) slays his true love, is himself a powerful wizard in league with the Chaos lord Arioch, summons monsters to aid himself in battle, and leads a successful invasion against his homeland of Melniboné. Finally, while fantasy heroes often begin as novices and gradually become more skilled and powerful over time, Elric steadily loses his throne, his homeland, his family and friends, and his magical resources."

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Better than Morecock. Will read it when I am not buried up my neck in homework.

Oarfish

Prophet
First, there is nothing wrong with a -1 stat penalty. End of the world it's not. Second, you can suppress your hunger once, without camping or summoning.

The stat penalties are not the issue - the problem is not being able to satiate until you hit 5 spirit points in an area with nothing to devour when your craving meter is full. You end up having to use the console to advance time (or wait in realtime) to a point when you can satiate, otherwise you will die while on the world map. That is just plain broken. The other choice is to perform lawful actions to avoid a serious gameplay issue. I'm quite happy with the XP penalty for all that spirit essence and area effect attacks, but I don't like having to use console commands to support that choice..

Oh and Jas - if you are doing moarcock, make sure you try "Warlord of the air", it was very early (possibly the first) steampunk.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Satiate or suppress?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom