Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gedonia - Open World RPG

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How do you like the game?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I quite like it. There is a surprising amount of character builds to play around with. A good amount of exploration. Has a lot of arms and armor to find. Some of the dungeons are nicely designed. The puzzles range from simple to moderate in complexity (includes some jump puzzles). The controls take a bit of getting used to. It also has this kind of Oblivion humor to it all. It's hard to tell what is intentional humor and what isn't. I get a feeling most humor is unintentional, which is fine by me. I like the limited music. The story is shit. The voice acting reminds me of 90's anime dubs. Its worth a look for sure.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What changed in Gedonia since the end of EA? I confess that I din't played much. But 200k for a single developer is a lot.

Not much. It's still the same bland, boring and generic game it was before EA ended. A lot of people just got tricked into buying it through the fake reviews, me included, fool that I was for listening to them.

It's a very generic asset flip with only a few slightly interesting systems that can't elevate it far above a sea of similar games.

Lhynn

Arcane
I play on the dungeon mode sometimes. Fun little alternative to the main campaign, which was alright.
I am wondering just what the fuck he is trying to expand on in the game world, main quest is pretty done and done, closed deal. So I am wondering if he will be making another main quest with the MC going to another land or whatever the fuck is going on.

Because if its just farming for shit, theres no point.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So I am wondering if he will be making another main quest with the MC going to another land or whatever the fuck is going on.

I seriously doubt it judging by his patch notes and comments on forums. The main quest is done storywise before a few of the higher level zones are even meant to be explored. So even before Northern Kingdoms was released there were already zones that came after the main quest being finished. This is like a big passion project for him. Maybe you are more accustomed to conventional releases where you get the base game then two generic dlcs with maybe some cosmetic dlc's so your character can look cool. There is no DLC released for this game. He releases a big ass new land to explore for free. If you don't want to explore it because it isnt attached to the main quests thats your call. But so far, there has been plenty to do there.

I did dungeon mode and arena to test out builds before I ever played the campaign. Some shrines were neat, but overall it paints a poor picture of the game. I remember how much better it immediately became once I went to campaign.

I think I did everything, or practically everything before going to the final dungeon. Even at max level the demons in the darklands pose a threat if you get sloppy or aggro too many. There was a "post game" dungeon released right after I beat the game, but haven't gone back to do it. My mini-review I wrote in this thread is the last time I played.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
picked this up, got few questions since any wiki/documentation is sparse
- i want to be a thief, also traps. Looks like banditry skill all the way
- probably 4 agi since I expect long jumps to be important? Appears to have some synergies in skill trees
- seems like I'll be railroaded into daggers? A bit annoying since with 1 str I get a bit of penalty. Arrows appear to be running out quickly
- how can I join bandits? all of them are hostile to me
- do I want inteligence? Will I be crafting? Will I be even casting spells? Right now I got 2 and have my doubts. Red somewhere that after joining bandits one can go for necromancers, dunno if that makes sense for such character?
- basically should i restart and drop int to 1/0 and pump str a bit?

Lhynn

Arcane
picked this up, got few questions since any wiki/documentation is sparse
- i want to be a thief, also traps. Looks like banditry skill all the way
- probably 4 agi since I expect long jumps to be important? Appears to have some synergies in skill trees
- seems like I'll be railroaded into daggers? A bit annoying since with 1 str I get a bit of penalty. Arrows appear to be running out quickly
- how can I join bandits? all of them are hostile to me
- do I want inteligence? Will I be crafting? Will I be even casting spells? Right now I got 2 and have my doubts. Red somewhere that after joining bandits one can go for necromancers, dunno if that makes sense for such character?
- basically should i restart and drop int to 1/0 and pump str a bit?
1) Havent tried banditry
2) Depends on what you want, I just got the hook and pull myself anywhere, you can also get fly from magic, and there are enough points to get there, so I wouldnt sweat double jump too much.
3) Couldnt say, daggers are good, but I just married to 2wf
4) No clue
5) Crafting is mostly useless, best gear in the game is lootable.
6) It really is a game where you can make anything work, its not so hard as to not be completable with any build.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
after much research 4agi,2str,1int is the way to go, at least for me.
As for bandits: once you reach lvl5, you can open factions tab and there if you join bandits, they will no longer be hostile. Everyone else will though.
Crafting seems fine, best poison might be exclusive. Also you can respec out of crafting later on

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
This looks generic but I can´t pass on game that lets me ride a dragon. :flamesaw:
just had a mission with it. Appears to be 1 time thing with cinematics as opposed to actual mount?
Im riding some demon boar now.

Game itself is getting repetitive... Poisons are cool but getting proper flowers for high level ones is insane chore. Same for armor crafting.
Main mission cinematics can give cancer.

Side missions are quite cool, a bunch are quite dark

Leinhart

Literate
This looks generic but I can´t pass on game that lets me ride a dragon. :flamesaw:
just had a mission with it. Appears to be 1 time thing with cinematics as opposed to actual mount?
Im riding some demon boar now.

Game itself is getting repetitive... Poisons are cool but getting proper flowers for high level ones is insane chore. Same for armor crafting.
Main mission cinematics can give cancer.

Side missions are quite cool, a bunch are quite dark
Please let me know if you ride a dragon later on. If you can´t actually ride a dragon and is just a cinematic I would be extremely dissapointed lmao.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Played a few minutes of the game; it was okay, but then Conan Exiles came along. But you can ride dragons in this? I wanna be a Dragonrider of Gedonia! Hopefully it won't have certain requirements like certain breeds of dragon in this world only responding to certain persuasions in their owners, and if you're not of these certain persuasions you need to do a quest first where you get your gayness activated with a tent stake.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
alright, went ahead and killed that dragon boss.

Your pet dragon is slow on land. It doesnt fly, it glides. You need to get high up first, then you can cover big distances quickly. Over distance you can also steer it a bit up.

Its situational, you will be using other mount instead. Unless you are 4agi like me that is, I have movement speed bonuses and usually im better of running

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finished main story. Easily worst and most cheesy one I ever experienced. Should be scrapped so players experience cool side content instead.

weak poison was mvp. Carried me through 90% of the game. Just continue stabbing with em daggers.
In general crafting gets really grindy at lvls 30+.
While crafting is lvl locked, stealing is not. Join a faction, find them in top lvl area, steal hot stuff.
Its actually pretty easy to get hard areas, zone borders got no enemies!

Do consider skipping crafting and stealing, go for 0 int so you wont be itching. Unless you want to use a bow, then it is a requirement I guess

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Your pet dragon is slow on land. It doesnt fly, it glides. You need to get high up first, then you can cover big distances quickly. Over distance you can also steer it a bit up.

You can fly in a straight line. It just isnt as efficient as finessing the dragon going up high then down low. He was going for that guild wars 2 / dragonflight control.

lukaszek Agreed in worst and cheesiest plot. Disagree on INT and crafting. Spell casting is one of this game's strong points. The EXP boost from INT is substantial, and so is the EXP and GP from crafting. Even just a couple points will greatly accelerate your advancement.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how does enchant weapon work? I assume there is some percentage at work but its hard for me to notice?
Does it even work with both weapons equipped? Im seeing visual effect only on my main hand...

Lhynn

Arcane
how does enchant weapon work? I assume there is some percentage at work but its hard for me to notice?
Does it even work with both weapons equipped? Im seeing visual effect only on my main hand...
It works, I believe base chance is 7%. Dunno, I went blood for the healing and it procced often with two weapons.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
not sold on magic with rogue. No active spell is worth it when you just dish amazing wpn and poison dmg.
Tried arcane shield with epic gloves that replenish mana on attacks, but shield crashes and whole thing ends up being useless. Enchant weapon doesnt seem to be making a dent either

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
looks like archer is the only magic&agility playstyle. There is armor that elevates it further, even with 2 int you can get to 250% extra dmg early, no idea how high it would be with epic armor of choice. Too bad its elemental magic exclusive, necromancy is easiest to scale all the way up. Also necro horse is fastest on land I think.

Too bad poisons dont appear to shotgun like I hoped. Only main target is getting stack(I think, it doesnt display dmg like with melee weapons). No multiple stacks of single multishot. No multiple aoe stacks with multishot+explo. And no extra poison proliferation on top :negative:

Tried to go with dungeon mode but its just a grindfest with hpsponge enemies. If you go with archery you must zerg rush unlimited ammo in shrines.
Tried endgame areas and lol, thats a grind for limited returns. Lets say you want to craft better unlimited arrow quiver. You need mats from single area, you get 1/5 of required amount per run at best. And then got to wait 2h to respawn.
Northern kingdoms are... something else. Its such vast area with nothing in between that owning a dragon is a requirement. Enemies are hp sponges with attacks that take 1/2 of your hp bar. There is yeti that is very quick and attacks 3 times without giving you chance to react. And its for rogue with maxed armor and hp.
Then there is this endless waves area. Thought Im doing somehing wrong in here but no... Looks like even if you roll full tank you will be dying from single strike, and pretty quickly at that. Only way to roll is not to get hit. You endure for 20min to get few crafting mats.
Apparently dev introduced end game to address issue of what to do when you enter end game content, clearly answer is endless grind in order to make endless grind slightly easier

Its really weird game, early game is very enjoyable, I find world quite charming. Too bad that half way through you start to just zerg past your opponents.

lukaszek Have you tried to new Northern Kingdom from the recent updates? I downloaded the update, but haven't loaded the game to travel to it yet. Outside of a dungeon, it looks like more of the same, but subarctic.

The changelog looks like they changed a bunch of stuff with magic. Not sure that I'm sold on all of them. I might play this weekend a bit and see what's what.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
@lukaszek Have you tried to new Northern Kingdom from the recent updates?
Northern kingdoms are... something else.

The changelog looks like they changed a bunch of stuff with magic. Not sure that I'm sold on all of them. I might play this weekend a bit and see what's what.
I got experience with latest changes only. In general I see a big gap in magic - providing utility for dex melee. Maybe its better for paladin types, dunno, dont care. As mentioned earlier simple things like allowing arcane shield to continue after mana gets depleted would go a long way.

You can access general map of the continent and there are more regions. Found dev mentioning few months back that indeed he plans to provide content for all of them. Looking at state of northern kingdoms, I'm not optimistic unless there is some major overhaul to difficulty curve involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom