Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

General Game Design

Would the Codex benefit from a general game design subforum?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not necessary, just use RPG design.

• No.

• Total voters

lefthandblack

Arcane
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am working on a game.

I've browsed through the RPG design subforum on occasion but have never posted as any input I might have had would not be relevant to the Codex definition of an RPG.

My thinking is that a general game design subforum would be a valuable addition that would allow for design discussions encompassing all genres as well as more technical discussions (engines, scripting, etc.)
or even "I'm working on this mod for game X".

The way that the gaming industry has been declining as of late, I think that many people are looking towards indie projects with the hope that they will be the future of gaming. IMO the Codex could be a big help in bringing this future to fruition.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Counter-intuitive. If you want to discuss FPS development, do it either in general gaming or in some other forum.

If you want to discuss technical aspects of game design, I don't see it going against RPG Design forum's scope, as long as you keep on general level.

If you insists on having a general game development sub-forum, try out with a few more general level threads to map out the actual interest before making new forums. A poll like this doesn't really cut it.

DraQ

Arcane
Haba said:
Counter-intuitive. If you want to discuss FPS development, do it either in general gaming or in some other forum.

If you want to discuss technical aspects of game design, I don't see it going against RPG Design forum's scope, as long as you keep on general level.

If you insists on having a general game development sub-forum, try out with a few more general level threads to map out the actual interest before making new forums. A poll like this doesn't really cut it.
Counter argument:

A General Game Design forum would pair up nicely with General Gaming one, similarly to RPG Design and General RPG Discussion. It may also spark a lot of actually worthwhile threads and weaken the iron grasp of the :decline: on these forums.

It will also provoke me to post more substance and less :smug:, so I will have to post a lot of constructive stuff if I intend to meet my +250% :smug: plans.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Haba said:

General Gaming is probably my favorite forum on this site, that being said, the problem would be that any design discussions would be pushed to page 10 in less than a day by "DRM vs Piracy discussion #9001". Mapping out the actual interest is the reason I started this topic.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No. Just rename 'general rpg design' to game design. Its not like those subforums are overcrowded anyway...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Malakal said:
No. Just rename 'general rpg design' to game design. Its not like those subforums are overcrowded anyway...
:receive

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Malakal said:
On a purely ideological basis I am against this. It's the RPG Codex, so there should be emphasis on RPG over other gaming types. But in practice what you suggested makes more sense, so I'll roll along.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Malakal said:

That would make sense, I thought that the regular posters in that subforum might view it as pissing in their cornflakes though, which is why I didn't suggest it in the first place. I'm just trying to be diplomatic and avoid upsetting the delicate Ph of our lovely little cesspool. I like a good rpg as much as anyone else here, I'm just not particularly interested in making one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RPG design forum is the only forum where RPG discussions still take place. If you want to discuss your newfag shooter shit go to General RPG discussion.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
RPG design forum is the only forum where RPG discussions still take place. If you want to discuss your newfag shooter shit go to General RPG discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom