Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gentlemen, now that Obsidian has had its Slam Dunk...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
No, they're going to keep playing it safe. The stakes are just even higher now, the few bros there will just keep doing what little they can.

Freelance Henchman said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Dragula said:
Then they finally can make Alpha Turd 2.
I'd love that.

Yeah, seriously. I still don't know just how this game got so much fucking hate around here.

I don't understand. Skyway says the entire Codex except him fap furiously to Alphaturd because everyone here loves third-person popamole shooters that pretend to be RPGs, are you claiming he exaggerates?

Cenobyte

Prophet
Havoc said:
I wish they make games longer... not 1-year production games.

Hm, imho it's better to keep this production schedule. Too ambitious nearly always means too expensive and time-consuming. And since a game has to be released someday, most of those projects end up in an unfinished or buggy state. There's really no need for another Daikatana, especially if the company doing it is one of the last major RPG developers in the western hemisphere.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Blackadder said:
Ok then.

It seems Obsidian needs several slam dunks before they make their 'real' games. Correct?

They will never make their "real games". The bigger the success, the bigger the decline. Greed works like that.

Project: Eternity
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I don't understand. Skyway says the entire Codex except him fap furiously to Alphaturd because everyone here loves third-person popamole shooters that pretend to be RPGs, are you claiming he exaggerates?

In my mind's eye I felt like one of the few dissenters from the "AP is utter shit!!!" line. Can't remember anyone who absolutely fapped to it at all.

Haba said:
Blackadder said:
Ok then.

It seems Obsidian needs several slam dunks before they make their 'real' games. Correct?

They will never make their "real games". The bigger the success, the bigger the decline. Greed works like that.

So, do you believe the apologists have always been kidding themselves? Because that excuse has always been the number one reason put forward to this day. Even luminaries such as Lyric Suite spouted this one not ten minutes ago.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Blackadder said:
Ok then.

What 'real' games?

As far as I'm concerned; what you put out is what you are capable of. Can they put out great games with unlimited budget? Probably, without budget constraints and a need to pander to the mainstream, I don't doubt some of the staff there would like to make a game styled after the classics.

But that's not worth discussing, because every studio can only make do with what they can get. Speculating upon what they can really be capable of should the stars align in perfect harmony will only be result in speculation, nothing concrete.

If you were referring to the hope of some people that Obsidian will bring good RPGs back to the mainstream, well, then yes, that does require more than several slam dunks. And each of those dunks will have to be at least as good as MoTB. Alternatively, one massive dunk. What matters in the end is sales volume. To convince publishers that a retro approach is viable requires sales. And once you've got the publishers convinced, you've got their marketing teams behind you, and then you can proceed to directly influence the tastes of the mainstream instead of relying on 'good games' to do so.

If you were referring to the hope of some people that Obsidian will bring good RPGs back to the mainstream, well, then yes, that does require more than several slam dunks. And each of those dunks will have to be at least as good as MoTB. Alternatively, one massive dunk. What matters in the end is sales volume. To convince publishers that a retro approach is viable requires sales. And once you've got the publishers convinced, you've got their marketing teams behind you, and then you can proceed to directly influence the tastes of the mainstream instead of relying on 'good games' to do so.

Yes, i was referring to this oft used trope from Obsidian fanboys. "once they make money, they will make the game they always wanted to and then CRPG's will be real again!"

It has been a reason put forward now since their inception.

Shannow

Waster of Time
They'll revive Alien RPG and self-publish. It'll be the best popamole game ever. A mix of Dead Space, MEh2 and Duke Nukem Forever. After that they'll start making games for the iPhone and become super rich.

Nah, seriously, I think they'll just keep making sequels, spin-offs and expansions for others. When you compare the success of their sloppy seconds to their own original game they have no reason to do otherwise.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blackadder said:
..Will we finally see the so-called 'real' Obsidian emerge? The fans have used this as an excuse for many years now, and apparently the sales of NV has gone through the roof.

Is it time?

Will we now see just what Obsidian is truly made of, without fanboy excuses to cover them ever again? Using their own systems to make the games they want to? Or will they stay the same as their benefactors?

What do YOU think?

and

Blackadder said:
Yes, i was referring to this oft used trope from Obsidian fanboys. "once they make money, they will make the game they always wanted to and then CRPG's will be real again!"

I read that Obsidian already got paid for NV and all the money now goes to Beth. So they will still struggle to fund their own projects. The only hope is that with a less mainstream RPG(yes, NV is the equivalent of KoTC compared to ME2, DA:O, FO3) doing well, then Obsidian may be able to convince publishers to fund more daring projects(this being relative as Obsidian don't want to commit suicide just yet).

commie said:
Blackadder said:
..Will we finally see the so-called 'real' Obsidian emerge? The fans have used this as an excuse for many years now, and apparently the sales of NV has gone through the roof.

Is it time?

Will we now see just what Obsidian is truly made of, without fanboy excuses to cover them ever again? Using their own systems to make the games they want to? Or will they stay the same as their benefactors?

What do YOU think?

I read that Obsidian already got paid for NV and all the money now goes to Beth. So they will still struggle to fund their own projects.

Have you got any links? That would be ridiculous if that were the case. Surely there must be some royalty percentage for them?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Blackadder said:
..Will we finally see the so-called 'real' Obsidian emerge?

The same was said after KotOR 2.

The same was said after NWN 2.

The same was said after Alphail Prototword.

The same is being said after Failout 3 2.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Blackadder said:

See, there's a leap in logic there between "they'll make the game they always wanted to" and "CRPGs being real again".

If they were swimming in cash, they could make the game they always wanted to.

That game could be a good, or even a great CRPG that surpasses all that came before it. Unlikely but possible.

Will it change the nature of the RPG industry nowadays, and will it see a sequel?

Unless it's a board-breaking slam dunk, no.

As a company, they do not have the resources to spare to devote most of their creative staff to go chasing the mythical perfect RPG. They'll probably get one try at it, maybe two. If it sells, good. But if it doesn't, which is more than likely, then we're back to tagging on Bioware's and Bethsoft's coattails.

Expecting Obsidian to change the nature of the game is as futile as expecting Age of Decadence to cleanse the world of its popamoleness.

Eh, but it's all moot. I doubt Obsidian will walk out of New Vegas with huge amounts of money. One slam dunk isn't enough. If New Vegas is considered one, you'd need two or three more. You'd have to be near Blizzard levels of stability to be able to consider doing what you love instead of what sells.

edit: Also, look at Bioware. Definitely stable enough for my example - and David Gaider is doing what he loves. He's loving the SHIT out of his life. Obsidian aren't as successful as Bio yet. Nowhere near.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It will still depend largely on the publishers. One year dev cycles will always be bad for any game, and no one is willing to fund games with core mechanics and camera that I like anymore, i.e. turn based isometric, or even rtwp (even bioware is ditching it in DA2, it seems). If they manage to publish their own games, I am sure something good would come from it.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think that they'll continue to cruise on Fearghus' SLAM DUNK formula, which apparently keeps them in business, but we may see small changes for the better within that context, i.e. better development schedules, resulting in better and more polished content. That will yield more of MOTB and New Vegas and less of Ass Protocol, I hope. Unfortunately, there is no great turn based RPG in the end, just an endless SLAM DUNK tunnel.

edit: Also, look at Bioware. Definitely stable enough for my example - and David Gaider is doing what he loves. He's loving the SHIT out of his life. Obsidian aren't as successful as Bio yet. Nowhere near.

Just about, then they sold themselves. They don't really exist anymore.

Blizzard certainly has enough clout to do what it wants, but it doesn't do anything I want so I don't really take any notice of them.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blackadder said:
Have you got any links? That would be ridiculous if that were the case. Surely there must be some royalty percentage for them?

I remember Josh Sawyer wrote this in an interview:

Question: How do publishers and developers interact in the world of game design? Is it usual for publishing companies to get residuals, or are they usually just funded and compensated for development?

JS: Publishers take the majority of profits. Developers are paid on a milestone basis with some bonuses or royalties (usually) negotiated into the contract, but said bonuses/royalties are usually contingent on some strict criteria (shipped on time, 85%+ rated, X million units sold, etc.).

In the 11 years I've been in the industry, I've received one royalty check for one game: Icewind Dale. Some very successful companies have a lot of bonuses and royalties flying around, but they are the exception.

I fully expect that the ghouls of Bethesda would have made Obsidian their bitches regarding any deal, and JS is pretty much admitting here that they are getting fuck all unless they really meet the 'strict criteria'. No reason for him to make this stuff up.

Lockkaliber said:
It will still depend largely on the publishers. One year dev cycles will always be bad for any game, and no one is willing to fund games with core mechanics and camera that I like anymore, i.e. turn based isometric, or even rtwp (even bioware is ditching it in DA2, it seems). If they manage to publish their own games, I am sure something good would come from it.

I agree with you there. One year cycles only allow spinoffs at best. Hopefully though, they will be a bit more original the next time they make their own game instead of attempting a Mass Effect clone.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Ok then.

Erm, never? Obsidian has stuck to making sequels, I fail to see them leave that comfort zone any time soon, if ever.
they never left that zone when they made Alpha Protocol
I mean, what do we have to look forward from Obsidian right now? Dungeon Siege 3 and a game based on the Wheel of Time series. Fantastic.

Joghurt

Augur
The only hope for me is that Obsidian could get a chance to make Fallout 4, but I'm 99% sure that's not gonna happen. But there still is a a good chance that are gonna do a spin off like New Vegas - Fallout 4: New Hub or something like that.

The only problem is that they are gonna have to use Fallout 4 engine again and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be even more dumbed down.

Silellak

Cipher
Dragula said:
The story and the way it played out in the end was amazing.
Exploding-head.gif

The fuck was amazing about the story? It was like a bad season of 24.

AP's gameplay was pretty horrible, too. Not so much the underlying action RPG system - it could've done with some tweaking, but it was serviceable. However, certain skills just broke the game, except for the boss fights - which were just generally shitty all around.

RPG Gameplay 101: Don't allow multiple builds unless all of those builds are viable. Not to say that a stealth build can't beat the boss fights or anything, but you basically just have to run around like an idiot until your Chain Shot skill regenerates, which is not fun. There's like...one boss in the entire game you can actually beat using your stealth skill, and he's immediately followed by another boss anyway. If you insist on putting ridiculous boss fights in your action RPG - why not at least allow a true stealth option for all the boss fights? Oh right - lazy gameplay design.

Not to mention all the times your stealth-based character does stupid things beyond your control.

"I know I'm the stealthiest motherfucker in the whole espionage world, but I think I'll go walk into Marburg's villa and confront him directly anyway, because I'm a stupid, stupid person."

"Oh, I know you snuck through the entire level without being spotted, but UH OH THE ALARM WENT OFF ANYWAY AHAHAHA HERE ARE MORE ENEMIES TO SHOOT."

EDIT: Crap, sorry, I forgot - since I like New Vegas, per Codex rules, I'm now an Obsidian fanboy. Man, AP was awesome - like ME but for intelligent gamers!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I never used chain shot :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom