Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting into WoD: Vampire

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ridiculously techy is exactly what Glasswalkers would shoot for. :M

There's this art piece of some glasswalker wearing some sort of ritual armor made of circuit boards. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's p. badass though. In a corny way. You're so fucking glasswalker your wear circuit boards on your ritual ceremony.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To give my piece on the art of V20, I find it to be consistent and fine. If I were to peruse every artwork for flaw, I am sure I would probably find something that irks me. But I can't be damned to. There is one thing in the book that irks me. WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH CLAN GANGREL'S CLAN ART?! WHY DOES THAT BITCH HAVE A BLOODY OAR FOR A WEAPON!? WHY!? It's like the one that sticks out the most, not in terms of art, but just in terms of what it's suppose to show. I sorta get where it's going, but I just can't help but wonder why that was the choice someone went with for the clan art.

I have from time to time looked through older Vampire: The masquerade books and find bits of artwork that just irks me. I recently just acquired Dark Ages: Vampire actually and there's some bits of art that seemed to fit more into a random D&D book than Vampire. I also came across a First Edition Malkavian clanbook. Never again.

EDIT: Would it be wise to make a thread on the art of Vampire: The Masquerade or something rather than derailing the thread into a discussion of art when it was originally a question of how one gets into World of Darkness and Vampire?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nah no need to. The question was already answered anyway.

Also it's a cricket bat I think.

oscar

Arcane
W:tA is a whole damn lot of Ron Spencer and Steve Prescott. They sign like almost every new art piece of art in w20 too, which is great because the two, specially Ron really are behind the aesthetics of the setting. Other two great artists that did pieces for it are Alex Sheikman and this dude whose name escapes me but it's like he is the person to draw fucked up spirits. Werewolf always had better arists overall, specially on 2nd edition era. Revised is p. lame though with some anime thrown in for good measure.

2nd edition also has that comic with art by diTerlizzi which was p.damn cool, shame they couldn't get him to do art for w20. They'll probably get him for a new changeling if they make it.

fdqLy.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be honest, a lot of the old art varied wildly in quality. I'm playing Giovanni Chronicles currently and some of the art is downright trash.

Also: FUCK oldschool White Wolf Tables of Content.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Did white wolf ever revive the old world of darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade ?. I remember a few years ago a lot of PnP gamers were over the moon at the announcement of the 20th anniversary edition and the Old world of darkness MMo along with the possibility of the setting being supported once again since a lot of people were unhappy with Requiem and its fluff.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Did white wolf ever revive the old world of darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade ?. I remember a few years ago a lot of PnP gamers were over the moon at the announcement of the 20th anniversary edition and the Old world of darkness MMo along with the possibility of the setting being supported once again since a lot of people were unhappy with Requiem and its fluff.
Yes.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/94815/Vampire-The-Masquerade-20th-Anniversary-Edition?src=s_pi
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/105584/Children-of-the-Revolution?src=s_pi
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/102130/
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/96535/Dust-to-Dust?src=s_pi
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produ...Edition?term=Werewolf+20th&manufacturers_id=1
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produ...d-II?term=Hunter+hunted+II&manufacturers_id=1

This is all the books released for their re-release of what is now officially referred to as "Classic World of Darkness". They even have plans to have the whole catalog of older books up for print on demand on this website. Already a good chunk of them are.

Scrub

Novice
Sometimes pops up on kickstarter as well to get funding for getting a new book out.

roll-a-die

Magister
Okiedoke, so dissertation, and rant incoming.

Premise; 99% of Everything is SHIT.

Okiedoke, so oWoD at the end was a giant turd, they suffered from the same thing that DnD 2nd edition and DnD 3 5 had, where there were just too many books, and fans were getting sick of it. They were at one point publishing a book or 3 a month. And in the nineties they all sold fairly well, but as the punk movement died, and as MMO's started gaining traction and stealing people away from gaming in the late nineties sales started suffering. Suffering bad, they continued putting out content. A lot of gamers were unsatisfied with how oWoD was going. VtM and the week of nightmares has been refered to the book where everything went bad. It got too epic, too quickly, they didn't fully realize the repercussions of the Wekk of Derpnerss. When you have in one night, an antideluvian/2nd generation member dying, killed by 4 simultaneous nukes, and then a sunstrike from a mage satallite, while surrounded by spontaneous hurricanes, dueling it out in the streets with the highest form of kindred of the east possible. It gets impossibru to cover up. Yet somehow the technocracy, the camarilla did.

This is the universe that was supposed to be about butterflies causing hurricanes in china, not rhinos stomping them into existence. It's supposed to be a game of politics and old masters being your foes, who fought in subtle ways. But nope, the story basically ended up in a state where it was DnD light, and everything that was unique about second edition. All of the mysteries, were thrown out or modified to make them less than desirable. The lack of consequence they wrote into their plot, was rather dumb. Even then, the way they ended it was, worse, but I'm not done rereading the old books yet, so I'm delaying rereading the 3rd edition books. The systems changed to make things less interesting even.

Now on to new world of darkness. The only game in my opinion in new world that isn't better in it's current incarnation than WoD was at the end, is Changeling, and that's because Changeling my was favorite setting of traditional oWoD, Orpheus was the one the competed with it, but that's basically a different game entirely.

It's kinda the difference between the whole Planescape Torment, and Baldurs Gate type games. nWoD focuses less on the universe as a whole and more on giving the story teller the tools to tell a good personal story within the universe. You aren't supposed to have to read 5 books just to play a game in your city. You're supposed to be able to pick up the core, the big book and maybe a villains splat. But beyond that everything you need is in 2 books. And if you can't create your city, or even a fictional one, you might not want to be story telling. The systems are not quite superiour but are simpler and easier to understand.

Werewolf of oWoD, YOU ARE CHILDREN OF GAIA, GO TO WAR MY KIN, YOU ARE KILLING MACHINES DESIGNED BY NATURE TO FIGHT AND KEEP HUMANITY IN LINE. KILL THE POLLUTER, KILL THE CORPORATION, REBEL FIGHT KILL, RIP TEAR GNASH. These are the sagas towards the apocalypse.
Werewolf in nWoD, you are the soul children of Urfarah, a masterful wolf, and luna, you are crazy, you are disregarded, and you are fighting for your freedom, because if you don't, they will kill you. You are Uratha, you are forsaken.

Vampire oWoD, The World is Ours, we exist, and we desire control, vampires aren't what you think of us. Respect your elders or you die. Respect the laws, or you die. You are a cog in the great wheel, try to fight and you die. Your elders will come down upon you and claim your essense as your own. Hide as one would in a masquerade.
Vampire nWoD, We know not where we come from, most care not for that question. Know that you are not human anymore. Independence is death, meet with your fellows, form your bonds, cling to the remains of your humanity and let it guide you. You desire control, yes, control enough to live for eternity? Then organize. Live your Requiem.

oMage, Magic used to be easy you know, the myths just flew from our fingers, now though, disbelief has ruined things. Where once we were mighty, not the rational minds have won, and the forces we wield are ruined for us. We strive to reach the ways and paths of the supernal, so that we may bring back our vision of the past, or bring to be our image of the future. Consensus is to rule. Ascension will enforce consensus.
nMage, imagine if you will, a city of spires, and of caves, stretching to infinity, this was the city of Atlantis, ruled by mage kings, it factionalized, and eventually in it's strive to reach the heavens, and the supernal, it was destroyed, wiped from all time, all space, all force, all fate. It was never to exist again, and we are all that remains, the remnants of that city, those towers, and spires, and caves, stretching to infinity, we use this connection to infinity, to work our wills. This remnant of outside fate, outside space, to force our visions of the world on this world. Come ye will workers, and join in the history as it is made. Open your eyes, and you will see it there, just outside the horizon. Awaken.

In terms of games, in oWoD mainline games, I liked mage before werewolf and werewolf before vampire. In new world, I prefer mage, then vampire then werewolf.

CrazyDiamond

Novice
When you have in one night, an antediluvian/2nd generation member dying, killed by 4 simultaneous nukes, and then a sunstrike from a mage satallite, while surrounded by spontaneous hurricanes, dueling it out in the streets with the highest form of kindred of the east possible. It gets impossibru to cover up. Yet somehow the technocracy, the camarilla did.

Wait, what? Did that actually happen? I remember reading about the Ravnos antidelluvian rising up in 99 just to get stopped by a technocrat satellite or something, but the rest is news to me. That's the thing about cWoD, the lore is so fucking huge, there's just too much happening. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. It's fun to keep finding all that new stuff all the time, but it's hard to keep up with all the events.

I've played some Dark Ages and Masquerade, but my group usually stuck to personal quests. I was the storyteller in one of those, and my favorite thing was encouraging the players to create characters with clashing personalities and opposing objectives, then forcing them to work together. I loved watching the stuff they came up with.

Anyway. Anyone interested in setting up an online group? Haven't played it in a while.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
When you have in one night, an antediluvian/2nd generation member dying, killed by 4 simultaneous nukes, and then a sunstrike from a mage satallite, while surrounded by spontaneous hurricanes, dueling it out in the streets with the highest form of kindred of the east possible. It gets impossibru to cover up. Yet somehow the technocracy, the camarilla did.

Wait, what? Did that actually happen? I remember reading about the Ravnos antidelluvian rising up in 99 just to get stopped by a technocrat satellite or something, but the rest is news to me. That's the thing about cWoD, the lore is so fucking huge, there's just too much happening. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. It's fun to keep finding all that new stuff all the time, but it's hard to keep up with all the events.

White Wolf Wiki has described it decently. It was an event called Week of Nightmares.

When Zapathasura awoke in the Ravnos homeland of India, it devoured all its nearby childer in moments, and sent psychic ripples across the world and spirit realms. Psychics, madmen and anyone even vaguely touched by the supernatural felt on edge or suffered visions and nightmares. The nightmares usually featured the Demon-King Ravana (representing Zapathasura).

Zapathasura rampaged across India to Bangladesh for two days, calling its childer to it, but on the third day was attacked by three of the eldest Kuei-jin Bodhisattvas. All this supernatural activity did not go unnoticed by the forces of the Technocracy, who used orbital mirrors to focus the power of the sun on the Antediluvian, but the Boddhisatvas and their allies had called a supernatural storm to shield them from sunlight while they battled Zapathasura. The Technocracy then employed magical "neutron bombs", killing all of Zapathasura's combatants - including those who were controlling the storm. As the clouds parted, Zapathasura had been weakened enough by the bombs and battle that the focused sunlight destroyed it.

The awakening of the Antediluvian had a profound effect on all its childer. While the battle raged, Ravnos vampires' power over the Chimerstry Discipline grew stronger, though harder to control. But at the instant Zapathasura died, every Ravnos on Earth felt an uncontrollable bloodlust, compelled to destroy or diablerize other members of their clan. This madness lasted for four days, and only a small number of Ravnos still survive.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
nWoD focuses less on the universe as a whole and more on giving the story teller the tools to tell a good personal story within the universe. You aren't supposed to have to read 5 books just to play a game in your city. You're supposed to be able to pick up the core, the big book and maybe a villains splat. But beyond that everything you need is in 2 books.
I don't know for how long people will keep repeating this bullshit. Specially considering the new editions of oWoD that are being released renders that point completely null.

roll-a-die

Magister

White Wolf Wiki has described it decently. It was an event called Week of Nightmares.

When Zapathasura awoke in the Ravnos homeland of India, it devoured all its nearby childer in moments, and sent psychic ripples across the world and spirit realms. Psychics, madmen and anyone even vaguely touched by the supernatural felt on edge or suffered visions and nightmares. The nightmares usually featured the Demon-King Ravana (representing Zapathasura).

Zapathasura rampaged across India to Bangladesh for two days, calling its childer to it, but on the third day was attacked by three of the eldest Kuei-jin Bodhisattvas. All this supernatural activity did not go unnoticed by the forces of the Technocracy, who used orbital mirrors to focus the power of the sun on the Antediluvian, but the Boddhisatvas and their allies had called a supernatural storm to shield them from sunlight while they battled Zapathasura. The Technocracy then employed magical "neutron bombs", killing all of Zapathasura's combatants - including those who were controlling the storm. As the clouds parted, Zapathasura had been weakened enough by the bombs and battle that the focused sunlight destroyed it.

The awakening of the Antediluvian had a profound effect on all its childer. While the battle raged, Ravnos vampires' power over the Chimerstry Discipline grew stronger, though harder to control. But at the instant Zapathasura died, every Ravnos on Earth felt an uncontrollable bloodlust, compelled to destroy or diablerize other members of their clan. This madness lasted for four days, and only a small number of Ravnos still survive.
Yep that's a pretty good write up on it, and about the 2nd gen/antideluvian comment.

Basically the Ravnos have about 3 main bloodlines each of them with wildly different disciplines, The Phuri Dae, and Brahman which both swap Auspex for the base clans Fortitude, and then the Brahman take it a step further and have access to Thaumaturgy/Blood Magics as well as auspex and Chimeristry IIRC. They also have 3 reported Antideluvians, Ravanna, Dracian, and Zarathustra. Zarathustra is the last mentioned. However, Dracian is mentioned in the texts on Noddists, not Zarathustra. And Ravanna is also implied in the clan novels to be an Antideluvian. So due to bad editing, we have 3 antideluvians for one clan, whom has wildly differing bloodlines. So it's completely possible that the Ravnos had a living second generation leader(Zarathustra), who then spawned the clan from 3 or more of it's Childer. So in turn it's possible, that like the children of Irad all had talent for Potence and the children of Enoch all had a talent for dominate, that the children of Zarathustra also had a trait it passed down, the talent for Chimeristry.

roll-a-die

Magister
nWoD focuses less on the universe as a whole and more on giving the story teller the tools to tell a good personal story within the universe. You aren't supposed to have to read 5 books just to play a game in your city. You're supposed to be able to pick up the core, the big book and maybe a villains splat. But beyond that everything you need is in 2 books.
I don't know for how long people will keep repeating this bullshit. Specially considering the new editions of oWoD that are being released renders that point completely null.
What you mean the new books that cost what 5 or more of the old books would have cost. I picked up my VtM core for 20 bucks, then I picked up 4 clan books for 30, and then bought the faction guides for about 20 a piece, back when I first got into World of Darkness.
:yeah:

roll-a-die

Magister
Yeah, because at that point, there were 500-1000 person games in pretty much every major city. And now if you have a 70 man game it's FUCKING huge. The average larp is 10 people where I live now. Finally, you've got less people playing tabletop than ever before. So to maintain profits, both quality and cost had to increase. You can't release 30 books a month anymore, the old business model of just printing whatever doesn't work anymore. Because there's no longer that teenaged crowd that buys every piece of bullshit you put on the shelf.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, because at that point, there were 500-1000 person games in pretty much every major city. And now if you have a 70 man game it's FUCKING huge. The average larp is 10 people where I live now. Finally, you've got less people playing tabletop than ever before. So to maintain profits, both quality and cost had to increase. You can't release 30 books a month anymore, the old business model of just printing whatever doesn't work anymore. Because there's no longer that teenaged crowd that buys every piece of bullshit you put on the shelf.

I really wish they published more Dark Ages books instead of truckloads of modern books of sometimes dubious quality and more along the lines of "hey man, this shit sells like hotcakes, better write more drivel regardless of quality", especially because Dark Ages was probably the soundest iteration of the ruleset, as far as oWoD went at least, until the 20th Anniversary Masquerade book got released. Hell, they even combined multiple Clanbooks into single books, for good and bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom