Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Give me the TLDR, how should one play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 in 2021?

biffthestiff

Educated
I own BG1 and BG2 on GOG (the originals without the stunning and brave new party-members). I have a modern PC with Windows 10 and a 4k monitor.

I played BG2 almost a decade ago. I never played BG1 and would like to this time, before BG2.

I started reading about mods that improve the engine upgrades (BG1 in BG2 engine! wow!), improve text size on high-res screens, and I'm getting a headache. There's BGT, EET, EasyTutu, BWP, BWS. For God's sake, I just want to game! (and grill).

Just tell me how I should play it on modern hardware.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm not sure about on a 4K monitor, but I would try BG normal edition, if the text's too small get a mod for that. If need be...and you don't have to pay money for it, do the Enhanced Edition. Yeah, the new companions are terrible, but you can look them up and avoid them. I'd also suggest avoiding using the story mode, which functions as god mode basically. The game isn't that difficult, even by modern standards. Hell, if you've already beaten the sequel it should be pretty easy.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
SCS is the only mod that I would consider essential, but it does require the EE these days. Use the mods sentinel recommended if you do go that route.

Don't use any quest mods besides unfinished business.

aloeh

Novice
Go in your account in gog and get the gb1 and 2 originals.

Install wide-screen for bg1, resolution 1280x720.

Install the ui mod for the resolution.

Do you have one gtx1660 or rtx series 2 or 3? If yes enable integer scaling.

Start the game and gg.

biffthestiff

Educated
Guys I'm not paying for EE when I already own the originals, especially if mods have me covered. What would that accomplish except giving nu-Bioware/EA more money?

Aloeh, what about playing BG1 in BG2's engine?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Enhanced edition, sneak attack the companions you don't like.

Guys I'm not paying for EE when I already own the originals, especially if mods have me covered. What would that accomplish except giving nu-Bioware/EA more money?

I also thought this but every game Beamdog ever released was on sale the other day for 30 dollars. I'm not a starving McDonalds employee so yolo.

Whilst the mods stretch the screen size, the EE editions *change the relative size of the UI* to fit the new resolutions.

Configuring ultra-wide monitors or 1440p resolution with the old games isn't the best.

It's a LOT nicer with EE.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
I would definitely play the originals over the EEs. I played the EEs again recently and Beamdog really broke the party AI. From what I understand, they tried to fix the fact that party members often pathfind the long way around to their destination. However, in trying to fix this the AI is now incredibly worse. Characters get stuck in each other near constantly, and to get them unstuck often just involves waiting for them to jitter around for 10 seconds or so. It would be fine if this was an occasional thing but I experienced it often throughout my entire playthroughs of both games. Compared to the minor irritation of having to select one of your characters to fix their pathfinding every so often its seriously a downgrade. This is not even mentioning the awful new journal UI they implemented, the new party members you have to mod out, and the fact that you have to mod in original cutscenes for BG1. Just play the classic versions and get a couple of the staple mods, I bet you'll have a much better experience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Go in your account in gog and get the gb1 and 2 originals.

Install wide-screen for bg1, resolution 1280x720.

Install the ui mod for the resolution.

Do you have one gtx1660 or rtx series 2 or 3? If yes enable integer scaling.

Start the game and gg.
This is the correct answer, don’t play BG1 in the bg2 engine for your first play, you’ll trivialize and miss out on the Real Experience(TM). Play in fullscreen 1280x720 and enjoy the beautiful UI.

Sentinel

Arcane

Who said anthing about paying? I'll lend you my gog copy.

Adenocaulon

Educated
I would skip the first Baldur's Gate, it is a combat heavy game with a bad combat system, very slow leveling for the game duration so you have not interest in character progression, you have an empty and boring open world with uninteresting loot and encounters, the narrative is very simple, do not compare it to Fallout style with branching stories etc.

The good thing are the companions with funny voiceacting. But they are just stereotypes with no major development.

I do not understand why it is considered such a great game, i have not completed yet previous isometric/top down crpgs like Ultima 7 or Dark Sun: SL, but while i understand the importance of Fallout in rpgs, Baldur's Gate 1 is very mediocre in almost every aspect. Maybe the importance is only overestimated because of BG2, I do not know, maybe in the future I will continue with the sequel.

Please change framerate from 30 to 45, because walking speed is very slow.

catfood

AGAIN
Install the widescreen mod. Install the UI mod. Install the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod which combines both games. Start a multiplayer session and create 6 custom characters. Save the game. Move the save game from the multiplayer saves folder to the singleplayer saves folder. Enjoy.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The best way is to watch a longplay. Video players scale the graphics nicely to 4k. Just don't watch an idiot that play BG with 4k resolution.

Brancaleone

Prophet
SCS is the only mod that I would consider essential, but it does require the EE these days. Use the mods sentinel recommended if you do go that route.

Don't use any quest mods besides unfinished business.
SCS doesn't require the EE.

Although it requires to install BG2 Fixpack (found also at Gibberlings Three) in order to be installed (just tested it with BG2 Complete Edition GOG).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom