Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Does anyone have any comments about Army Men -series?
Any entries in series which should be absolutely avoided?

I maybe buy Army Men 1 and Army Men RTS for starters.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Elite Force I & II and Away Team.
FYI, Away Team is probably only interesting if you like both Star Trek and the tactical stealth genre.
Does anyone have any comments about Army Men -series?
Any entries in series which should be absolutely avoided?

I maybe buy Army Men 1 and Army Men RTS for starters.
I remember finding one of the N64 titles fun ages ago, solid if you want a TPS with very open arenas. Interestingly, the series is partially to blame for 3DO going under, thanks to some retarded ad decisions regarding the game.

Semiurge

Cipher
MULE is fun for a whole group. Ok, enough of me blabbering about it.

The C64 version cheats you out of a victory in the last round if you choose the longer 12-rounds mode. That was a fateful (and final) mistake done by my C64 unit, before I poured a glass of rare whiskey through its ventilation slits.

Last edited:

Gambler

Augur
The decline of GOG is extremely disappointing. Their website used to be like an old-school gaming magazine. I used to visit it every weekend and at least scanned through every single release article. The descriptions were well-written and informative. Moreover, GOG didn't sell any junk. All games had at least some historic and cultural value. It felt good to buy something from them and it felt "right" to link to their article instead of, say, Wikipedia or Steam pages when discussing games.

Now? Their website is a crappy Steam clone with zero organization and constant "sales". It is awfully designed and very buggy. (Sorting by ratings has been completely broken for several years.)

Lots of "games" in their new release stream are just DLCs or some cringe "visual novel" or just zero-quality trash. There is no way to filter that stuff out. The idea of sequentially reading all new release description seems insane.

Their strict no-DRM policy has eroded over the years, as people pointed out above.

I've took notice when within one month they stopped Russian and Belorussian accounts from buying games and then proclaimed "games are for everyone" on the page for their Gayming festival. This level of virtue signaling and hypocrisy if just off the charts.

Finally, they recently made all interactions with their website subject of their Code of Conduct. I don't even care what's in that "code". The very term "Code of Conduct" is an ideological dogwhistle. I'm not interested in spending any of my money to prop up this stuff anymore.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
MULE is fun for a whole group. Ok, enough of me blabbering about it.

The C64 version cheats you out of a victory in the last round if you choose the longer 12-rounds mode. That was a fateful (and final) mistake done by my C64 unit, before I poured a glass of rare whisky through its ventilation slits.

mLPE47.gif

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The decline of GOG is extremely disappointing. Their website used to be like an old-school gaming magazine. I used to visit it every weekend and at least scanned through every single release article. The descriptions were well-written and informative. Moreover, GOG didn't sell any junk. All games had at least some historic and cultural value. It felt good to buy something from them and it felt "right" to link to their article instead of, say, Wikipedia or Steam pages when discussing games.

Now? Their website is a crappy Steam clone with zero organization and constant "sales". It is awfully designed and very buggy. (Sorting by ratings has been completely broken for several years.)

Lots of "games" in their new release stream are just DLCs or some cringe "visual novel" or just zero-quality trash. There is no way to filter that stuff out. The idea of sequentially reading all new release description seems insane.

Their strict no-DRM policy has eroded over the years, as people pointed out above.

I've took notice when within one month they stopped Russian and Belorussian accounts from buying games and then proclaimed "games are for everyone" on the page for their Gayming festival. This level of virtue signaling and hypocrisy if just off the charts.

Finally, they recently made all interactions with their website subject of their Code of Conduct. I don't even care what's in that "code". The very term "Code of Conduct" is an ideological dogwhistle. I'm not interested in spending any of my money to prop up this stuff anymore.
Indeed.
Maybe some really oldschool game which deserves purchasing, but that's about it.
They can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned.
This shit was in the books for a long time.

I gave up on GOG. The thing that did it to me is not knowing if the patches for games I had paid for would come to the platform. There's games that are going to be outdated for a decade in a couple of years now. And most of the "old games" that were worth it are also on Steam. Steam does have a ton of DRM free games. There's no substantial difference between GOG and Steam now, yes.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If a game is on both Steam and GoG, I'm getting it on GoG. Not because I love GoG and their policies, because I can download the game and keep it. The GoG launcher is also a lot faster than Steam and doesn't stop working every time there is a sale, and I'm using it when playing new games because modern games keep getting patched for at least a year after release, so it's more convenient to do it like that and get the updates automatically.
But for old games? Or even games that are a few years old and no longer getting patched every month? I can open GoG in a browser and download the installer. Play it offline, play it on an old computer, store it on an external drive, give the installer to someone, whatever. Can't do that on Steam. There are maybe 2-3 games that I own on Steam (from 100+) that work just from their .exe in the game folder without launching the steam client, fuck that.

That's the selling point of GoG. It's certainly not their store, policies or game selection. I know a few games on GoG didn't get the patches that Steam versions did, which sucks, one I own is Spellforce 1, but in this case it's the developer's fault, not GoG's.

Semiurge

Cipher
If a game is on both Steam and GoG, I'm getting it on GoG. Not because I love GoG and their policies, because I can download the game and keep it. The GoG launcher is also a lot faster than Steam and doesn't stop working every time there is a sale, and I'm using it when playing new games because modern games keep getting patched for at least a year after release, so it's more convenient to do it like that and get the updates automatically.
But for old games? Or even games that are a few years old and no longer getting patched every month? I can open GoG in a browser and download the installer. Play it offline, play it on an old computer, store it on an external drive, give the installer to someone, whatever. Can't do that on Steam. There are maybe 2-3 games that I own on Steam (from 100+) that work just from their .exe in the game folder without launching the steam client, fuck that.

That's the selling point of GoG. It's certainly not their store, policies or game selection. I know a few games on GoG didn't get the patches that Steam versions did, which sucks, one I own is Spellforce 1, but in this case it's the developer's fault, not GoG's.

The only downside to GOG is their laggy asf website, both the store and the forum. Really badly optimized.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It works better than steam for me. If anything, the steam client got worse that it was a couple years ago, I now have a better setup but get a few seconds of lag whenever I move between things on steam, opening and closing the client takes even longer, while game pages in the store autoplay videos and slow the whole thing down to a crawl.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The GOG forums suck monkey nutz. Fucking fox awful. (Thought I typed god awful but ios corrected… it must be into furry shit).

You can use the installers, but they are more often than not outdated when comparison to the Galaxy versions. They've been making it so you end up using Galaxy as the primary way to play their games.

ds

Cipher
Patron
You can use the installers, but they are more often than not outdated when comparison to the Galaxy versions. They've been making it so you end up using Galaxy as the primary way to play their games.
Do you have any examples? At some point they changed the standalone installers just package up the same data GOG Galaxy uses without re-compression so they really have no excuse not to regenerate them with each patch. Not that this would be needed if developers still published patches themselves...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom