Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did Dark forces and two sons really need remakes? Er REMASTERS?

I'll wait for reviews and comparisons tbh.

Saldrone

Novice
The classic duology of Baldur's Gate got replaced with modern versions that looks and i've heard about that are actually inferior. Do i have to pirate the original versions?

catfood

AGAIN
cb58ebe2e8ed08811597d13b537517e248c8aed6a21af6de7eb06577033284f5.jpg

lmao

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/jagged_alliance_2_classic/post8?as=1649904300

The regular JA2 (sold by Strategy First) is version 1.12 (normally reserved for the Gold Pack but eh). It's standalone, and doesn't include or require any other part of the series to run.

The JA2 Classic (sold by TopWare) is only available as a DLC for Wildfire and is version 1.03 (not even 1.07, which was the last pre-Gold build). And the base price is $2 higher.

And no, the version tag for the installers is not correct either - 6.08 was a version exclusive to the Russian release; the latest English one is 6.04 and the latest German one is 6.06.

The rights to JA1, JA2 and their standalone expansions are notoriously a maze. TopWare got the rights to Wildfire in 2005 when i-Deal Games invoked breach of contract with then-rightsholder of the IP, Strategy First, and sought someone else to publish a fixed version. The catch with vanilla JA2 is that the original boxed release of Wildfire also included JA2 alongside Wildfire, and that's probably why nobody bat an eye when JA2 Classic appeared on the S-store in 2017. And the reason how they have such an ancient build is that the original TopWare (the one that was closed in 2001, of which the current TopWare is the successor of) was the original German publisher of the game, and released it 3 months before the rest of the world got the game.

So, if I have the original gog release, do I need the "classic" version for any reason? Modding or otherwise? That's what i'd like cleared up.

Unless you want the earliest possible English release for archival or curiosity on how the game evolved, no.
Between versions 1.03 (Classic) and 1.12 (which you currently have), bugs were fixed, some balance tweaks were implemented, cheat hotkeys were added, and the brothel scene was censored. That's about it.

Popot

Educated
What's this... they've released something called "Jagged Alliance 2 Classic" as a DLC for JA2: Wildfire yet they still sell the original separately? Is there really any benefit to getting Classic with Wildfire?

https://af.gog.com/game/jagged_alliance_2_classic?as=1649904300

https://af.gog.com/en/game/jagged_alliance_2?as=1649904300
It's just the usual Topware crap, they pulled the same shit on steam. There's no benefit in getting that stuff since you can download the mod version of Wildfire for free.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I think for most it's just the convenience Steam offers over GOG.
I think that's definitely part of it. I know some devs get pissy about releasing on GOG because it's too much of a pain to have to worry about multiple versions of a game on various stores. I think the guy who made Northern Journey indicated he wouldn't mind releasing his game on GOG but not until he considers it completely finished; i.e., no more bug-squashing updates.
What does GOG's update policy look like? Microsoft's patching process leaves a lot of games out of date on gamepass breaking multiplayer.
weaboos ruin everything
Looks like a tranny OC.

I think for most it's just the convenience Steam offers over GOG.
I think that's definitely part of it. I know some devs get pissy about releasing on GOG because it's too much of a pain to have to worry about multiple versions of a game on various stores. I think the guy who made Northern Journey indicated he wouldn't mind releasing his game on GOG but not until he considers it completely finished; i.e., no more bug-squashing updates.
What does GOG's update policy look like? Microsoft's patching process leaves a lot of games out of date on gamepass breaking multiplayer.
weaboos ruin everything
Looks like a tranny OC.
You can rollback but only through Galaxy. When they updated some Saints Row games a while back, the gog port was the only one that could do a rollback iirc? Because the update was a bit controversial too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom