Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The Whisperer some first person horror adventure I have never heard of is now free for the next 48 hours on GOG's main page

Interesting that Sony decided to add some games to GOG after such a long time, they had Horizon Zero Dawn there but nothing else and now Days Gone is available and God Of War and Uncharted are next. I wonder if The Last of Us and the Spider Man games will follow soon or are they going to take a couple years to have them DRM free
It is not a suprise, Days Gone was the second "great" Sony exclusive on Steam, God of War was the third, but Uncharted Legacy Collection was only the fifth, it released after Spider-Man.

It was a surprise in a sense that they released Horizon on GOG a few months after Steam and then it seems they stopped caring about GOG and after they released the next few gams on Steam they waited 1-2 years to put them on GOG

It's like they stopped caring and then one day they went," oh wait,GOG exists too,why don't we put some of our other games for sale there too"

Last edited:

Zoo

Novice
The Whisperer some first person horror adventure I have never heard of is now free for the next 48 hours on GOG's main page

Interesting that Sony decided to add some games to GOG after such a long time, they had Horizon Zero Dawn there but nothing else and now Days Gone is available and God Of War and Uncharted are next. I wonder if The Last of Us and the Spider Man games will follow soon or are they going to take a couple years to have them DRM free
It is not a suprise, Days Gone was the second "great" Sony exclusive on Steam, God of War was the third, but Uncharted Legacy Collection was only the fifth, it released after Spider-Man.

It was a surprise in a sense that they released Horizon on GOG a few months after Steam and then it seems they stopped caring about GOG and after they released the next few gams on Steam they waited 1-2 years to put them on GOG

It's like they stopped caring and then one day they went," oh wait,GOG exists too,why don't we put some of our other games for sale there too"
Fair enough. I think the release order is no surprise. Horizon is indeed very successful. Not a good a good game though. I like even Uncharted games much more, they can be somewhat fun for a short popamole shooter, but Horizon is long, and I prefer proper RPGs or strategy games for such a game time over shallow modern AAA nonsenses.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://af.gog.com/en/news/coming_soon_star_wars_dark_forces_remaster?as=1649904300

image.png

Modron

Arcane
Does GOG have a policy about data gathering in games? I'd finally give one, maybe two, of those Sony games a shot if they weren't such Orwellian nightmares.

ds

Cipher
Patron
They could sell good old games without spyware just fine. Putting telemetry into everything is a relatively recent fad and even then no dev is going to care about that data once the game is no longer being updated.

Azdul

Magister
Does GOG have a policy about data gathering in games? I'd finally give one, maybe two, of those Sony games a shot if they weren't such Orwellian nightmares.
They most likely check legal requirements from all territories where they sell their games - and apply most stringent ones - GDPR (EU) and CCPA (State of California).

All games also should work fine offline or when they are blocked by firewall.

GOG most likely does not care about games collecting telemetry without Personal Identifable Information. Customers that care about it - can just not add the game process to the list of firewall exceptions.

If the telemetry data or crash report is not fully anonymized - and contains e-mail, IP address or other PII - there are many lawyer firms just waiting for an opportunity to sue developer and publisher in EU or California. So sometimes software not calling home at all is the best solution.

toucanplay

Novice
They could sell good old games without spyware just fine. Putting telemetry into everything is a relatively recent fad and even then no dev is going to care about that data once the game is no longer being updated.
Read Sony's privacy policy and tell me the data they gather is about game improvement:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/privacy-policy/
Most companies that collect data do embarrassingly little with it, often because they don't have enough people who know how to leverage that data. PlayStation isn't all that different. I'm pretty sure the store on the PS5 didn't have any recommendations until recently, and even basic recommenders are some of the easiest "give me money" moves an online retailer can do.

I mean, there's no games to recommend on the PS5, but the principle stands.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Read Sony's privacy policy and tell me the data they gather is about game improvement:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/privacy-policy/
Most companies that collect data do embarrassingly little with it, often because they don't have enough people who know how to leverage that data. PlayStation isn't all that different. I'm pretty sure the store on the PS5 didn't have any recommendations until recently, and even basic recommenders are some of the easiest "give me money" moves an online retailer can do.

I mean, there's no games to recommend on the PS5, but the principle stands.
Dude, companies collect data because data is in itself a form of currency.
Sony is up to some sketchy shit.
But then again, most companies are...
Remember that Playstation spyware business?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was looking at current discounts and at first the site didn’t register I owned Starcrawlers but then did. So, I wondered if Chimera was discounted and it is NOT. Then I see “Still in Development!” How many games released are “still in development?” Is there a list on GOG or STEAM of “still in dev” games? I wonder what the longest time frame a game is still in this development phase?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I was looking at current discounts and at first the site didn’t register I owned Starcrawlers but then did. So, I wondered if Chimera was discounted and it is NOT. Then I see “Still in Development!” How many games released are “still in development?” Is there a list on GOG or STEAM of “still in dev” games? I wonder what the longest time frame a game is still in this development phase?
You really gotta doublecheck everything.
I hope you do not pre-order.
Right?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I did once a few years back and it was ok but lately, I’ve noticed mistakes by GOG. Generally, I buy discounted games that have been cycling around for years and drop to $5 or less. I have been tempted to get the new Wizardry release and Ghost Tower/Ghost Ship/Ghost Hunter. I’m in no hurry though. Underrail: Heavy Duty is an exception though… MINIGUNS!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom