Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Golden Land gets an expansion

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Burut Creative Team; Golden Land: Cold Heaven

<a href="http://www.russobit-m.ru/">Russobit-M</a> passed along word that <A href="http://www.goldenland-rpg.com">Golden Land</A> is getting an expansion pack, called <i>Cold Skies</i>. Here's the info:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Russobit-M and Burut CT are glad to announce: the new add-on for Golden Land, called "Golden Land: Cold Skies" is in the development now!
<br>
<br>
Below is the information about the add-on storyline.
<br>
<br>
<b>Golden Land: Cold Skies.</b>
<br>
<br>
The victory of the apprentice of Great Heroes Temple over Chernobog has broken the balance of Dark and Light powers in the spheres above, and that has resulted in the cataclysm with big destructive effect. The powerful explosion demolished Chernobog's Castle in the Smithy of Times volcano, and the main character found himself at the small island in the snowy land, Alberia... Now the apprentice of the temple has a long, long way home to pass... Alberia is the land of conspiracies, revolutions and determined, hard-edged women. At his way to Golden Land, the character will make a lot of important decisions, change dozens of fates, find himself in the most exotic places of the land. And remember - the Skies are colder day by day...
<br>
<br>
Features:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Seven big cities, over 40 unique locatons added</li><li>Densely populated world with over 200 new characters</li><li>Improved social system, adequate reactions of the characters to the criminal actions of the main character</li><li>New plot structure. Organically intertwined plot branches allow a lot of walkthrough variants</li><li>Four unique endings.</li></ul>
<br>
<br>
Also:
<br>
<br>
Over 1,000 items, rich role playing system, six magic schools, blacksmith's work, alchemy and all other features of original Golden Land.
<br>
<br>
Here are the fresh screenshots from the add-on:
<br>
<a href="http://www.russobit-m.ru/eng/games/gl/shoots.shtml">http://www.russobit-m.ru/eng/games/gl/shoots.shtml</a>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Now if only we could get the English version in the U.S.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Fishie</b>!
<br>

EEVIAC

Erudite
I'm looking forward to Golden Land as much as anyone, but why, after order has been restored to an RPG land, do worlds inexplicably turn cold? Blizzard has done this twice with LOD being in the snowy mountains, and the WC3 Frozen Throne expansion. Then there's the Baldur's Gate sequel Icewind Dale, the name of which is self explanatary. (Please don't take that last comment seriously.)

What I'm getting at is that this whole idea of fantasy RPG's varying their environments with elemental demarcations is old, older than isometric and turn-based will ever be. Someone really needs to come up with a better game dynamic than fire/earth/water/air. So many games, not just RPG's, seem to be fixated with the basic archaic elements. D&D already has an interesting moral dynamic with good/lawfull/evil/chaotic, and I wish more games, D&D, general fantasy, or modern/sci-fi would come up with something equal or original.

I'm still waiting for an RPG that occurs in a very ordinary world, with (fundamentally) very ordinary characters, making extra-ordinary decisions. Something with lots of factions and guilds, and maybe world domination as a game goal.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
EEVIAC said:
I'm still waiting for an RPG that occurs in a very ordinary world, with (fundamentally) very ordinary characters, making extra-ordinary decisions. Something with lots of factions and guilds, and maybe world domination as a game goal.
Well, then check this old thread out http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1072 I started it in response to several posts in other threads asking for realistic RPGs :)

Lannister

Novice
IMHO the Devs should start replying to questions asked them in their forum. Its as silent as in a grave there.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Lannister said:
IMHO the Devs should start replying to questions asked them in their forum. Its as silent as in a grave there.

That's why I was wondering if ANYBODY had possibly heard something. Those forums are like a ghost town when it comes to the Devs. :?

EEVIAC

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Well, then check this old thread out http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1072 I started it in response to several posts in other threads asking for realistic RPGs :)

Fantastic, thanks for the link. Although that's not quite the realistic setting I was thinking of, I really liked LC Jr.'s list at the end of the thread :

TSR- Gangland and Boot Hill, "Roaring 20's" and "Wild West" settings.
GDW- Twilight 2000 and MERC 2000, military/mercenary in either a mild hard science post apoclypstic setting(Anarchy and radiation but no mutants or other sci-fi elements.) Merc 2000 was set in the "real world".

Add to that TSR's Top Secret in the spy genre. Maybe pushing the bounds of reality but someone published an RPG based on James Bond.

GURPS-take your pick of god knows how many different reality settings.

Alternate reality games like Call of Cthulu or Bureau 13 combined realistic settings with the occult/paranormal.

That's a fair-fuckload of decent settings for any game, let alone RPG's. And yet we're still inundated with the boredom of straight fantasy. I'll concede that at the moment there are at least a few post-apoc and sci-fi RPG's to look forward to for variety, but there are still some really good ideas that aren't being touched.

Its also interesting to note that a similar thread could be posted now, nine months later, and still be valid.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
EEVIAC said:
That's a fair-fuckload of decent settings for any game, let alone RPG's. And yet we're still inundated with the boredom of straight fantasy. I'll concede that at the moment there are at least a few post-apoc and sci-fi RPG's to look forward to for variety, but there are still some really good ideas that aren't being touched.

Its also interesting to note that a similar thread could be posted now, nine months later, and still be valid.
Yep, the RPG genre could use some setting variety. As much as I like ToEE, I'm sick and tired of traditional fantasy. I never played a mage or a straight fighter in Arcanum simply because I've done it a thousand times with little or no variations.

EEVIAC

Erudite
What's really frustrating is that there are systems, not just "I want a Wild West RPG with ninjas" ideas, but actual developed role-playing systems out there that can be used. I'd imagine that most would be fairly cheap to license, with the added benefit of not having Hasbro/WotC wowserism saying that good has to win in every instance.

Speaking of PnP systems, I'd love a remake of Space 1889.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom