Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Good Gothic 2 Mods?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wanted to work my way through Gothic 1 and 2 before playing Archolos. I tried playing Gothic with Dark Mysteries and while I liked what they did with the colony itself it had too much stupid and irrelevant crap in it so I gave up. I just finished up Gothic with the modfix mod and I thought that was pretty well done.

I wanted to know if there's any good mods for Gothic 2 for someone who's played it several times. I'm willing to try most things, but in particular I was wondering if there was anything for Gothic 2 similar to modfix or in the very least something that helps unscrew magicians in Gothic 2.

notpl

Arbiter
There's a shitload of gothic 2 overhauls of varying levels of quality and intrusiveness

Returning and all its variant patches adds the most content, both narratively and in gameplay terms, with shit like shields, dual wielding, four different magician subclasses with regenerating mana and unique mechanics to each, and some really psychotic fanfic plot extensions and a sadistic difficulty curve. English translation is also quite spotty.

L'hiver is a graphical overhaul that adds some shortcuts and new areas around the main map and tweaks gameplay a bit less obtrusively, mostly expanding crafting a bunch (including armor forging) and adding some basic quality of life stuff like easier sprinting, regenerating mana, new weapons, shit like that. It ALSO includes sadistic difficult changes, to the dragon bossfights in particular, though it's nowhere near the level found in Returning

There's at least four others that I know almost nothing about and may or may not be available in english.

For gothic 1 there's the very simple and unobtrusive "golden" mod, which just adds a few cut quests, bugfixes and lets swamp camp players learn higher magic circles and earn themselves the robe of the gurus.

There's also a Polish overhaul called "Othello" that adds some of the less extreme content from Dark Mysteries, enables magician play from the first chapter, and switches the world map around a bit. No idea what state it's in or if it can be found in English, once again.

notpl

Arbiter
Pretty much anything you want to play is going to be autotranslated from another language. Chronicles of Myrtana is the only gothic 2 mod of note actually translated into English by human beings, the rest are just going to be google patches.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think the first time I noticed neurotic, anti-social and immature behavior in a modder posting on forums was with a Gothic 2 mod over on RPGWatch a few years ago. I can't remember the title of his masterpiece but it's probably a safe bet to avoid it..

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Returning 2.0

It allows you to be a Chad apprentice of Xardas, instead of a sheep of Innos who get magical power after distributing sausage in a all male monastery.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
OP, check out YAUP for G2. It’s an English mod that is essentially G2 vanilla+.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/yet-another-unofficial-patch

Yeah, I was looking this one over, seems to be similar to what modfix was to Gothic. An overall fix up of lingering issues and QoL.

Returning 2.0

It allows you to be a Chad apprentice of Xardas, instead of a sheep of Innos who get magical power after distributing sausage in a all male monastery.

This one looks interesting, but right now I'm looking for a mostly vanilla experience.

notpl

Arbiter

Yeah, I was looking this one over, seems to be similar to what modfix was to Gothic. An overall fix up of lingering issues and QoL.

Returning 2.0

This one looks interesting, but right now I'm looking for a mostly vanilla experience.
"Interesting" is a valid description for Returning

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
This all may be a moot anyway. I can't get the damn game to run no matter which installation guide I follow. Even with the latest Union/System Kit it won't start. Steamfix gets it to start, but it still crashes when trying to run a new game.

EDIT: Might have fixed it.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron

Unfortunately, it is a little less vanilla than I would personally like. It includes things like shields and helmets, although that's the most egregious of the changes iirc.

In the next few months, I think the author intends to split YAUP into a purist-only style fixes and QOL life patch, and a fork of that that includes more balance-changing items like the shields and helmets. YARP is the name I believe. This generally sounds like Wesp's or Killap's approach to Bloodlines / Fallout 2. Idk how likely that actually is to happen tho.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Unfortunately, it is a little less vanilla than I would personally like. It includes things like shields and helmets, although that's the most egregious of the changes iirc.

In the next few months, I think the author intends to split YAUP into a purist-only style fixes and QOL life patch, and a fork of that that includes more balance-changing items like the shields and helmets. YARP is the name I believe. This generally sounds like Wesp's or Killap's approach to Bloodlines / Fallout 2. Idk how likely that actually is to happen tho.

Yeah, that's something I noticed as I went over the changelogs. I think it may be too departed from vanilla for what I want right now since it's been a long time since I've played Gothic 2. Probably just going to run it plain and keep an eye on this one.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Well it sounds interesting by the description, though I imagine it's probably a massive clusterfuck.
It's russian trash cobbled together with stolen assets and plot lines, they even stole cutscenes from warcraft 3 :lol::lol::lol:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ALL of them are bad. Not as bad as Archolos perhaps, but still pretty bad.

You've been shitting on Archolos since before it was even released.

Sadly you strike me as the type who would probably enjoy something but hate yourself for enjoying it. Very obvious you had already made your mind up and were just looking for excuses.

It's a real shame you've done this to yourself, because for many of us Archolos is our GOTY and the closest thing we'll ever get to a new proper Gothic game.

Normally I wouldn't care to comment on taste, but you seem to post about how much you hate the game in every possible thread. Very irrational considering you claim to have spent "15 mins" playing it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Incidentally has anyone played the german mod, Legend of Ahsshun?

Some on the WOG forums were saying it's close to Archolos in professionalism with a ton of original content and good voice acting. Sadly it seems like the only english translation is a google translate job.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
L'hiver is a graphical overhaul that adds some shortcuts and new areas
oh yeah, I remember those shortcuts
There was big one near Xardas tower that had some kind of skeletor necromancer dickhead in it
Trv Gotik hardkurr experience

YAUP
- The issue of not leveling properly while transformed was eliminated
noice, now that's something for another playthrough

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom