Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Good Old Games Relaunching

1eyedking

Erudite
Pirate the portable and save a few bucks.

Repressed Homosexual
Hahaha I like reading all the enraged replies on the Internet from people who act like they were violated. People sure like to feel entitled over petty stuff. Serves them all right.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, why would you feel entitled to something you paid for.
I say GOG makes everybody pay again for what they bought, that will show them who's the boss.

It's because people like you that this new "you're just paying for the right to play, you don't own it" mentality will prevail.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dumbest.

Marketing stunt.

Evar.

GOG.com are going to be like those Persian rug outlets that are always having a "closing down sale".

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I wouldn't mind that stunt if they kept it up for only a few hours, or maybe at most 24 hours so most people could see it. Then they could have kept their fake frontpage and have a link to their normal site so regulars could log in, or something like that.

But 4 days? I like GoG and will more than probably support them again in the future (provided the service doesn't change for the worse) but that's rather bad. And there are still rumours about the financial problems of their parent company …

Zeus

Cipher
Gragt said:
And there are still rumours about the financial problems of their parent company …

Which is why I'm just glad I can buy up the games I wanted over the next couple of months (like a DRM-free Darkstar One, which I believe you can only find at GOG; the disc has Starforce DRM or something). If it wasn't for this stunt, I wouldn't have found out about the parent company's troubles, and would have gone on putting off buying GOG games until they go out of bidness for reals.

Loriac

Arcane
This stunt from gog has shown me that we really, really, need a facepalm emoticon.

To say that these guys are clueless retards is actually being unfair to genuine retards.

made

Arcane
It boggles my mind how people see nothing wrong with paying for abandonware with scenecracks and dosbox but then feel violated and scream bloody murder when that "service" is taken away from them for a couple days.

This isn't Steam where their site needs to be online for you to play the shit you bought.
Do you redownload the games daily to get your money's worth or sth?

The stunt worked. It created free media buzz on a large scale. It will not hurt their sales, because their customer base consists of morons who take it up the ass with a smile.

Archibald

Arcane
Metro said:
Hooray, you're DRM free... that's not exceedingly hard to do when you're offering dosboxed warez that aren't worth slapping DRM on in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I own about four or five titles on GoG, mostly for convenience sake and never have I paid even their full prices (as their price points are often ludicrous given what they offer) but they either need to get over themselves or actually offer something like oh... say... Witcher 2 DRM free (which I highly doubt they will) otherwise they are just hypocrites pandering to the anti-DRM fetish crowd.

I doubt that publisher would allow that even if they wanted to.

Stupid marketing stunt that leaves you without a service you paid for for 4 days... sure you can go on for as long as you want with the "WHY SO ANGRY ONLY FOUR DAYS!" rhetoric, but it doesn't change the fact that a service you paid for was taken away for four days FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

I`m not using GoG but is there some monthly subscirption cost? If not then your argument isn`t valid, you aren`t paying for service, you`re paying for product.

They could have as easily pulled the stunt while still allowing customers to download their games. That is what makes their trolling really shitty.

But then it doesn`t make any sense- "we`re dead, but nothing changed!"

I wouldn't mind that stunt if they kept it up for only a few hours, or maybe at most 24 hours so most people could see it. Then they could have kept their fake frontpage and have a link to their normal site so regulars could log in, or something like that.

But 4 days? I like GoG and will more than probably support them again in the future (provided the service doesn't change for the worse) but that's rather bad. And there are still rumours about the financial problems of their parent company …

Who do you think spread this rumor? Lurkers? No, this stunt would have fallen apart with your ideas.

It boggles my mind how people see nothing wrong with paying for abandonware with scenecracks and dosbox

Yet there is nothing wrong with paying for next gen popamlone bullshit.

Zeus

Cipher
Angelo85 said:
Seems like the publicity stunt has worked for them:

From what I've seen on various forums, it worked out like this:

Existing GOG customers (minority): "I'm angry, hurt, betrayed, how could they?"

People who'd never heard of GOG (majority): "Woah, my favorite games from the 90s are DRM-Free for $5.99?!"

So yeah, I'd say it paid off.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ehm...hey retards... abandon-ware isnt abandoned when they start selling it again.

Zeus

Cipher
made said:
paying for abandonware

Oxymoron. If it's being sold, it isn't abandoned. Home of the Underdogs pulled games the second they showed up on Chips & Bits. The only difference here is that the re-releases are digitally distributed, but that goes for more than half of game sales these days.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
please don't it might be that you yourself is a moron...

Just...putting this notion out there....to the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom