Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got NWN2 for free

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
Ack. Buying NWN2 just to play an expansion...?

Why not? The original NWN1 OC was pretty shitty too; the only OC worth playing at all was HotU.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've bought MotB, updated the game with the internet patcher, sorted out all the settings in-game, but I don't get any combat music during the fight at West Harbor in the original campaign? Anyone else have a similiar problem, or know if they've many changes to the original campaign with MotB? Thanks.

download and apply patches separately and then install obsidian additional patch. the last time I've read nwn2 forums - autopatching was fucked up

as for me - I've installed all patches through 1.01 to 1.10 and then installed MotB - then applied that obsidian's additional mini-patch - and after that it was a smooth ride right to the finishing credits.

Starwars

Arcane
I think they updated the auto-patching system though, so you shouldn't need fiddle with the additional patches and installing patches manually. I believe they made a system so that the auto-patcher checks if you're missing files and download them as needed.

I dunno what could be wrong though. Try running the auto-patcher again I suppose.

I did get a small problem after having MotB installed, in that the music in a particular area would sometimes disappear (it was the Blacklake district for me). I'm not sure what's the cause, or if it's the same problem for you.

Starwars

Arcane
It's the multiplayer I've seen criticized the most over at the Bioware forums. I've not played either NWN1 or NWN2 multiplayer, but it definetely seems as if NWN1 is still the more popular choice in this regard.

I've always viewed NWN as three things. Campaign, toolset and multiplayer. NWN2 wins the campaign part by far (though the NWN2 OC is still pretty average), personally I think it also wins the toolset as it simply has much more power behind it for people who really want to create something of their own (which of course brings more development time). But multiplayer seems to be lacking so far.

Polarity

Novice
Right now NWN2 Multiplayer is a pile of garbage compared to NWN1. Has MotB made any headway towards fixing this? I'm getting really sick of the outdated NWN1 graphics at this stage.

Polarity

Novice
Yes, but when you've been playing NWN1 Multiplayer for a long time and you have sexeh NWN2 graphics sitting there and waiting to be played, but being ruined by horrible gameplay issues it's just... Gragh!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Polarity said:
Right now NWN2 Multiplayer is a pile of garbage compared to NWN1. Has MotB made any headway towards fixing this? I'm getting really sick of the outdated NWN1 graphics at this stage.

From what I've heard, MotB doesn't do much to fix multiplayer problems (crash-crash-crash). No firsthand account from me, though.

Polarity

Novice
*mutter mutter mutter*

Alright then, I guess I'll give it another few months. :?

User was nabbed fit

The Walkin' Dude said:
VO, impressions?

Got a tiny bit further today. To the point where I liberated some refugees from a bandit camp.

So far, not bad. I'll make my way through the OC before getting MotB.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Any mods that add basic stuff to the OC, like classes and spells (doesn't sound like it needs more items)?

Texas Red

Whiner
ViolentOpposition said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
VO, impressions?

Got a tiny bit further today. To the point where I liberated some refugees from a bandit camp.

So far, not bad. I'll make my way through the OC before getting MotB.

Just remember not to quit until you reach act 2. Act 1 is a complete hack fest. Act 2 and act 3 hold the gems of the OC, mainly the trial and the keep. Its not really spoilers since the devs themselves mentioned it before the release, but you will get to govern a castle. You have to build it up from ruins, train and recruit men, invite others, make decisions etc. Areas and combat are generally better as well. And I found that all the best companions you get later on.

Lucas

Novice
Heya, first post, long time lurker :)

Damn, I find NW2 OC boring boring boring, damn it !

Like others said, it's surely better than the original NWN1 OC, but given their experience and previous works, I don't understand why they felt the need of creating something so linear and vanilla, like "High fantasy for dummies".

I see some nice dialogue choices, underneath you can see Obsidian really doing its job, but the hack fest you have to pain through at various stages of the game reminded me of some basic D&D PnP modules from the early eighties :P.

I'm currently at Act 1, Moire's path, after the Dark Alley and I really hope things improve when I reach Act 2.

I'm trying to force myself through it because I would prefer to play MoTB with my character from the OC, which I'm turning into a Thay Mage.

roshan

Arcane
Just curious, what exactly is wrong with the multiplayer of NWN2?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
NWN2 was gangrape; I never would have tried to plough through it but the Codex convinced me and thus I lost my anal virginity. You bunch of goddamn rapists. Seriously, I kept hearing "well it's ain't that of a bad game when you finish the first act mang, try it, you know you want to, put it in there". I wasn't convinced, but, innocent and virtuous, I agreed and kept pushing on. Then I realised the first act lasted 20 fucking hours. You're kidding right? Who would willingly go through all this pain to enjoy some vague pleasure at the end? No thanks. I don't think I lasted half of it, it was just too horrible. I was scarred for life.

If you enjoy it then you surely like anal sex, which makes you, you got it, a fag and a terrorist. Fuck you.

vrok

Liturgist
I can't even understand why people say the trial and keep are good.

The trial is meaningless and boils down to nothing more than "trial by combat".

The keep consists of... a lot of zoning in and out of the castle while hoarding gold from selling the ridiculous amount of magic items available. As far as I could tell (from three playthroughs) none of the choices made, which only need to be made if you lack enough gold (except for 2 buildings), at the keep matter in the end anyway since the game is ridiculously easy from start to finish. The entire castle report sheet is completely fabricated bullshit and only exists to give you a false sense of satisfaction.

Some say good? I say fake and meaningless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom